Sega Bringing Yakuza + Zombies Outside of Japan

Posted by patrickklepek (6005 posts) -
When there are no more Yakuza to be killed, the Yakuza will rise from the dead.

On my bucket list of game franchises I'm hoping to play at least one installment of, Yakuza is pretty high on the list. I've heard such wacky, awesome things about Yakuza 4, but the constant stream of new games means the game keeps getting pushed further and further back.

Eventually, I tell myself.

Time to put another one on the list, as Sega of America's confirmed Yakuza of the End is leaving Japan as Yakuza: Dead Souls, and will arrive over here next March, complete with the Japanese edition's slate of downloadable content and a new mini-game, Pachislot.

Yakuza: Dead Souls and mixes up the otherwise more seriously toned Yakuza series and drops in zombies, mutants and all sorts of other supernatural creatures.

Also, I can't be the only one who sees Dead Souls and keeps thinking Dark Souls.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (6005 posts) -
When there are no more Yakuza to be killed, the Yakuza will rise from the dead.

On my bucket list of game franchises I'm hoping to play at least one installment of, Yakuza is pretty high on the list. I've heard such wacky, awesome things about Yakuza 4, but the constant stream of new games means the game keeps getting pushed further and further back.

Eventually, I tell myself.

Time to put another one on the list, as Sega of America's confirmed Yakuza of the End is leaving Japan as Yakuza: Dead Souls, and will arrive over here next March, complete with the Japanese edition's slate of downloadable content and a new mini-game, Pachislot.

Yakuza: Dead Souls and mixes up the otherwise more seriously toned Yakuza series and drops in zombies, mutants and all sorts of other supernatural creatures.

Also, I can't be the only one who sees Dead Souls and keeps thinking Dark Souls.

#2 Edited by EmuLeader (558 posts) -

more zombies.....could be cool though

Don't know much about the yakuza games, but from what I've seen, I can't really see zombies fitting in.

#3 Posted by kollay (1934 posts) -

Yes fucking yes. Now go keep working on Yakuza 5.

#4 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

"Also, I can't be the only one who sees Dead Souls and keeps thinking Dark Souls."

Yup, first thought that went through my head.

#5 Posted by mcnorhymes (28 posts) -

yaukza?

#6 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4981 posts) -

Thank you, Sega!!!

Also, there totally is a typo right over there. Dammit, Klepek! I'm pulling you out!

#7 Posted by MetalBaofu (1430 posts) -

I really enjoyed playing Yakuza 3 and 4 when I got my PS3 earlier this year, so this sounds awesome to me. Even if it isn't quite right with the whole zombie thing.

#8 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

@mcnorhymes said:

yaukza?

Also

Yakuza: Dead Souls and mixes up the otherwise more seriously toned
#9 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

I tried the Japanese demo and it controlled like shit, but I loved Yakuza 4 so much that I just have to own this one too. The characters on the front is like a dream team: Akiyama, Kiryu, Majima and some other guy.

#10 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Dead Souls would've been an awesome name for Demon's Souls 3 though :(

#11 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

@mcnorhymes: Klepek

#12 Posted by Mmmslash (2169 posts) -

The fact that we are getting this, but haven't gotten the last two monster Hunter games makes me super, super bummed.

#13 Edited by sub_o (912 posts) -

@patrickklepek typing error on the title.

Edit: Thanks for fixing the typo !

#14 Posted by Sanj (2504 posts) -

Ahhh I still need to play Yakuza 3 and 4.

#15 Posted by LoktarOgar (401 posts) -

Anyone who is used to modern third person shooters will laugh their ass off at the controls of this game. Vanquish (aka the most playable 3rd person shooter out there), it is not.

That said, once you get used to it, it seems pretty cool.

#16 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

Saw the trailer, disappointed at the lack of Joy Division in a game called Dead Souls.

#17 Posted by Goku13K (47 posts) -

FUCK YES!!! Now if only they would bring over the ancient Japan Yakuza title too!

#18 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Yaukuza

#19 Posted by Ersanven (91 posts) -

I'm sick of Zombies, but I'm super excited about this game. It just looks so balls out crazy. Plus the Yakuza games always have great writing. It ought to be hilarious.

#20 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

Wish we could get a translated version of the amazing fuedal japan ryu ga gotoku *yakuza*. In japanese, that was pretty good. Came out what, like before the 3rd game? Still better than it as well

#21 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

@LoktarOgar said:

Anyone who is used to modern third person shooters will laugh their ass off at the controls of this game. Vanquish (aka the most playable 3rd person shooter out there), it is not. That said, once you get used to it, it seems pretty cool.

Have you played it? I watched the trailer a few months back and it looks like everyone only has one gun.

#22 Posted by LoktarOgar (401 posts) -

There is (was?) a demo on the Japanese PSN store. Everyone has their own signature weapon (Kiryu: sniper/anti tank rifle (I'm not sure, but it's big), Ryuuji: machine gun arm, Majima: shotgun), but you can still buy other weapons and select them through the dpad. In the demo you play as Akiyama, who is portrayed as "the guy who uses two handguns", but in that demo alone, you can get a shotgun, an assault rifle and an uzi (or double uzis, I forget).

#23 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11440 posts) -

I'm so happy!

#24 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

Bah, I haven't heard great things about this one :/ Would rather see them finally bring over Kenzan.

#25 Posted by Aarny91 (3914 posts) -

Extra content ftw. I still need to play 3 and 4.

#26 Posted by Fyrecroe (29 posts) -

I'm salivating. Good or less than good, day one for me.

Also plenty of ways to work in Oneechanbara and Lollipop Chainsaw, I'd read that fanfic.

#27 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11440 posts) -

@Ventilaator: Sega and From Software can have a game of Quake III to determine who should own the rights to that name.

#28 Edited by BoOzak (988 posts) -

@thechronodarkness said:

Wish we could get a translated version of the amazing fuedal japan ryu ga gotoku *yakuza*. In japanese, that was pretty good. Came out what, like before the 3rd game? Still better than it as well

Yakuza 3 was great(better than 4 imo) but having never played the FJ game I cant really compare the two. I can say i'd much rather play that than Yakuza of the Damned or the Dead or whatever the hell. Having played the demo the combat was really tedious.. I might play this just for the sheer craziness once it drops in price though.

I just hope it keeps the pseudo RPG elements & SQs that make the Yakuza games what they are.

#29 Posted by XChairmanDrekX (307 posts) -

Hell yeah, glad to see this series seems to have solid footing on American shores.

#30 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

I was hoping it would be called Yakuza to the End, but whatever! More Yakuza is always good, even if the premise of this game is a departure.

I've always admired the Yakuza series for being so down to earth and... well maybe not realistic, but grounded. As opposed to the Final Fantasies and Monster Hunters and whatnots that Japan puts out, Yakuza is simple. It does shit that no other developer in that country does, at least in terms of stuff that makes it over here.

Still bitter that they never localized the Yakuza spinoff in feudal Japan though. I mean come on. Samurai Western gets over here but that game doesn't?!

#31 Posted by RecallBerserk (142 posts) -

Yakuza 4 is still my 2011 game of the year.

#32 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

@LoktarOgar said:

Anyone who is used to modern third person shooters will laugh their ass off at the controls of this game. Vanquish (aka the most playable 3rd person shooter out there), it is not. That said, once you get used to it, it seems pretty cool.

Dude, first off - good man! Anyone whose played Vanquish and gives it the credit it deserves is a true gamer in my book! ;)

Secondly, you're right. But who gives a fuck because there are zombies in it. So legions of brainless (ironic) college-age gamers will probably buy this anyway. TEH ZAMBIES = MONEY. Because people fucking hate original, memorable ideas in this industry.

#34 Edited by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@vinsanityv22 I'm buying it because it's a crazy-ass Yakuza spin-off, and that's good enough for me.

Edit: Because the auto-correct on my phone is a moron.

#35 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5288 posts) -
@Goku13K said:

FUCK YES!!! Now if only they would bring over the ancient Japan Yakuza title too!

Yeah dude, that one looks rad. With the price drop of the PS3, I am so on the edge of buying one.
#36 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@RecallBerserk said:

Yakuza 4 is still my 2011 game of the year.

2011? Fuck, seems longer.

I've been awaiting this announcement, was actually worried they might not bother with this one. As mentioned I still (in vain) hope for Kenzan, but Black Panther 2 has made the jump and I thought that was considered the lowest of the low in terms of priorities.

#37 Posted by Goblin (173 posts) -

Ehm... don't you mean "Ryuu ga Gotoku of the End"?

Even though Yakuza 4 was a big ad-ridden disappointment compared to Yakuza 3, and that this one will probably play like most japanese shooters (i.e. like shit), I'm still really looking forward to this.

Only MGS can compete with the Yakuza series in "serious, stern-faced manly men in both really grim and really silly situations"

#38 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

I played the demo ages ago 
It was cool

#39 Posted by fraser (478 posts) -

Fuckin A! So happy about this news. Yakuza's one of my favourite game franchises of all time.

And whilst, like most people here it seems, I'm sick to death of zombies, I'll be picking this up day one.

#40 Posted by MeatSim (10926 posts) -

We could use more Yakuza over here but we already have plenty of zombies.

#41 Edited by cosi83 (406 posts) -

Concerned for the shooting in Dead Souls. Played the demo last night, I hope the fighting system is still in place. Yakuza 4 was my favourite game of this year, no doubt

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.