Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Like a Dragon

Franchise »

A free-roaming action-adventure series starring Kazuma Kiryu, a former member of the Japanese Dojima crime family who is drawn into conflict against several Yakuza gangs. The franchise's games are marketed as realistic criminal simulations.

The Sega Team That Makes Yakuza Games Will Make More Yakuza Games

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

The gentlemen and ladies at Sega who have toiled away lo these last several years on the Yakuza series aren't just one-trick ponies. For instance, series creator Toshihiro Nagoshi, long before he got into the whole Yakuza thing, also created the Super Monkey Ball series, and has worked on everything from Sonic to Billy Hatcher over the course of his career.

Toshihiro Nagoshi, looking a lot scarier than he did during his Super Monkey Ball days.
    Toshihiro Nagoshi, looking a lot scarier than he did during his Super Monkey Ball days.

That said, apparently Nagoshi, alongside a number of his primary cohorts from the various Yakuza projects, are really into this whole Yakuza thing now. So much so, in fact, that they have formed their own studio. Appropriately titled "Yakuza Studio" (or Ryu ga Gotoku Studio), Nagoshi and posse will, predictably, be focusing on new entries in the Yakuza franchise, including a fifth Yakuza console title, and a new PSP game called Yakuza Black Panther 2.

According to a write-up from Andriasang (which they translated from the latest issue of Famitsu), Yakuza 5 is still extremely early in development, and details likely won't be slid in the direction of the press any time in the foreseeable future. Black Panther 2, however, is a bit further along, and focuses on the same protagonist as Yakuza Black Panther. Granted, that first PSP title never released outside of Japan, so the odds of this sequel coming to any other territories seem equally, if not more slim.

Despite the new moniker, Nagoshi and crew do plan to make games not named Yakuza once in a while. The team is still working on Binary Domain, a sci-fi action title set to release early next year. That game obviously has nothing to do with anything related to the Yakuza, but don't be surprised if Nagoshi decides to give the lead character a bitchin' full-back dragon tattoo or something, just to keep the theme going.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

The gentlemen and ladies at Sega who have toiled away lo these last several years on the Yakuza series aren't just one-trick ponies. For instance, series creator Toshihiro Nagoshi, long before he got into the whole Yakuza thing, also created the Super Monkey Ball series, and has worked on everything from Sonic to Billy Hatcher over the course of his career.

That said, apparently Nagoshi, alongside a number of his primary cohorts from the various Yakuza projects, are really into this whole Yakuza thing now. So much so, in fact, that they have formed their own studio. Appropriately titled "Yakuza Studio" (or Ryu ga Gotoku Studio), Nagoshi and posse will, predictably, be focusing on new entries in the Yakuza franchise, including a fifth Yakuza console title, and a new PSP game called Yakuza Black Panther 2.

According to a write-up from Andriasang (which they translated from the latest issue of Famitsu), Yakuza 5 is still extremely early in development, and details likely won't be slid in the direction of the press any time in the foreseeable future. Black Panther 2, however, is a bit further along, and focuses on the same protagonist as Yakuza Black Panther. Granted, that first PSP title never released outside of Japan, so the odds of this sequel coming to any other territories seem equally, if not more slim.

Despite the new moniker, Nagoshi and crew do plan to make games not named Yakuza once in a while. The team is still working on Binary Domain, a sci-fi action title set to release early next year. That game obviously has nothing to do with anything related to the Yakuza, but don't be surprised if Nagoshi decides to give the lead character a bitchin' full-back dragon tattoo or something, just to keep the theme going.

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Voxatron

Yakuza Black Panther 2?! I guess this means they won't be bring over that Yakuza zombie game anytime soon then, what a bummer. :(

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'm surprised it took them this long to form their own studio given the massive popularity of the franchise in Japan (and spurring popularity from the West). Still, great to know that they're going bigger and better. I love those games. But I still want a Western localisation of Yakuza: Of The End.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

Wish I could finish my copy of Yakuza 4. Lent it to my cousin, then my PS3 broke. Was in the middle of Saejima avoiding cops in the city. If they brought it to the PC, maybe the textures would be better...

TheLeamenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By TheLeamenator

YAAAKUZAAAAA!!!

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By UnrealDP

Wow, it's good to see some stuff go up even in the early morning. Thanks east coast Alex!

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ApolloBob

There's corn on this pizza!

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Grissefar

I hope Yakuza: Of The End comes over some times this or next year. I loved 4 so dearly and hope to play some more of Akiyama.

soralapio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By soralapio

I love how I can immediately tell it's an Alex story by the headline alone.

<3 Alex :)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee
    @eroticfishcake said:
    I'm surprised it took them this long to form their own studio given the massive popularity of the franchise in Japan (and spurring popularity from the West). Still, great to know that they're going bigger and better. I love those games. But I still want a Western localisation of Yakuza: Of The End.
    YESH.  

As for Yakuza 5, I hope Kiryu will once again take a little more of a backseat role and they start to branch a bit more with one or more of the other three characters - or just introduce even more characters. The set-up and intertwining story of the four rather distinctive characters in Yakuza 4 was easily the best part of the entire game.
    MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By MannyMAR

Man, I'm glad they're that dedicated franchise.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Abyssfull: Second that. I quite liked the structure for Yakuza 4 (though from a gameplay point of view it was slighty tedous) but still, I would KILL to have an entire game with Akiyama as the main protagonist. 

And I DEMAND more karaoke with Hana-Chan dammit!
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So still no news on if Yakuza of the End is coming to the US? 

batmeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By batmeng

Countdown to Yakuza 1 & 2 HD remake announcement. Starting at 10.....9......8......7

Any day now.

And I WILL fucking buy them.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

Where's Black Panther 1?!! 

Also I thought 'The End' was a given to come over, now I'm not so sure :( 

@Panic_Switch said:

Yakuza Black Panther 2?! I guess this means they won't be bring over that Yakuza zombie game anytime soon then, what a bummer. :(

...Its not just me then, shit.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yakuza Black Panther 2: coming in summer 2012...in Japan. Coming to America in fall of 2018.

buhssuht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By buhssuht

i wish they did something about their mini game. they r somewhat fun but the fact that i have to perfect them to get certain items is just damn hard

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OllyOxenFree

So I guess we're gonna see the Millennium Tower blow up many many times now.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By SerHulse
    @WatanabeKazuma said:
    Where's Black Panther 1?!! 

Also I thought 'The End' was a given to come over, now I'm not so sure :( 

@Panic_Switch said:

...Its not just me then, shit.
    Black Panther 1 was only released on the Japanese PSP PSN Store I believe,

And I so hope Of The End gets a western release, otherwise I'll be pissed. :(
    Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
    deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

SHOCKING!!! 

...but, seriously, the fact that they seem to sell well enough in and out of Japan well enough to push sequels is... quite surprising to me. 
    I wonder how much it cost to produce Yakuza 4, how much they earned internationally, and how much it will cost for Yakuza 5. Does it really sell that well in Japan? Let alone, here or in Europe?

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By Cirdain

DO NOT DO A YAKUZA GAME FOR ENDURANCE RUN... that all for now folks ;)

TheMartino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheMartino

Make them finish Shenmue.

Thanks!

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @Video_Game_King said:
    Yakuza Black Panther 2: coming in summer 2012...in Japan. Coming to America in fall of 2018.
    Its funny because its partially (mostly) true! 

:(
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ajamafalous

PIZZA HUT GIVIN' YOU AN EXTRA LENGTHY DEMO! CODES INSIDE E'RY BOX

PARTY TIME SONIC THE HEDGEHOG LET'S GO GEORGE FOREMAN

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@ajamafalous said:

PIZZA HUT GIVIN' YOU AN EXTRA LENGTHY DEMO! CODES INSIDE E'RY BOX PARTY TIME SONIC THE HEDGEHOG LET'S GO GEORGE FOREMAN

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Olivaw
    @Cirdain said:

FUCK THAT, TOTALLY DO A YAKUZA GAME FOR AN AN ENDURANCE RUN 

SHIT IS PERFECT
    kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kollay

I am perfectly fine with this. Yakuza is one of the last few good series that SEGA produces.

After the ending of Yakuza 4, I wanted 5 at that fucking moment.

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Olivaw
    @ikabubu said:
    SHOCKING!!!   ...but, seriously, the fact that they seem to sell well enough in and out of Japan well enough to push sequels is... quite surprising to me. I wonder how much it cost to produce Yakuza 4, how much they earned internationally, and how much it will cost for Yakuza 5. Does it really sell that well in Japan? Let alone, here or in Europe?
    Yakuza is a fucking banger in Japan. 

It's sort of like the Dragon Quest situation, where they don't sell as well over here, but over there they have to have national holidays on release dates because the entire nation just calls in sick on that day. 

Not quite to that level but you see what I'm getting at.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#29  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@eroticfishcake: Agreed that Akiyama was definitely the best part of Yakuza 4, and that I'd love to see an entire game based around his character. As for more Hana karoake? I'll leave that to you.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30  Edited By zyn

Yeah!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Ghostiet
    @ajamafalous said:
    PIZZA HUT GIVIN' YOU AN EXTRA LENGTHY DEMO! CODES INSIDE E'RY BOX PARTY TIME SONIC THE HEDGEHOG LET'S GO GEORGE FOREMAN
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH SEGAAA
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza Endurance Run. Wait no. Yakuza series Endurance Run. All games back to back.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TripMasterMunky said:

Yakuza Endurance Run. Wait no. Yakuza series Endurance Run. All games back to back.

You're a genius and I'm on board with this plan. MAKE IT HAPPEN, GIANT BOMB.
    vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vinsanityv22

I personally am sick of Yakuza. It's a fine series, but it's practically Japan's Madden or Call of Duty at this point. And poor Amusement Vision - the creators of fun, creative, EXCELLENT games like Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero GX, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future (since they absorbed Smilebit when Sega restructured their internal studios last generation) - are now stuck making only one game again and again and again. Year after year. F***ing annualized series. I can't imagine they even have many people still working there who were there during the Monkey Ball/Jet Set days. 

I'd trade all the Yakuza games for another Jet Set title. Sega's problems were never finding creative games or having talented guys pump out quality titles - it was always in promotion. Games like Jet Set could've been much more successful if they were promoted better. But now we'll never see these types of games from Amusement Vision again. That sucks.

I bet Sumo Digital could make a great Jet Set game for some reason, though. They were so respectful of many of Sega's franchises when they made the awesome, underrated Sonic All Stars Racing.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36  Edited By Cirdain

@Olivaw said:

@Cirdain said:

FUCK THAT, TOTALLY DO A YAKUZA GAME FOR AN AN ENDURANCE RUN

SHIT IS PERFECT

*leans back* Reverse psychology hype. boom...... ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet, more franchises for me to enjoy.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BoOzak

I hope they stick to one character this time round, doesnt have to be Kiryu or any've the guys from prior iterations. I only say this because I hated having to relearn moves for marginally different chracters.. (combat wise)

..& I know it's asking alot but a new engine would go a long way, the current engine is really showing it's age. Other than that though i'm glad the same guys are working on the sequel, I thought I heard somewhere that the Yakuza team was working on some generic TPS, guess either it got cancelled or there was some misinformation.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#39  Edited By MeatSim

Full-back dragon tattoos should be in every game really.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.