Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Like a Dragon

Franchise »

A free-roaming action-adventure series starring Kazuma Kiryu, a former member of the Japanese Dojima crime family who is drawn into conflict against several Yakuza gangs. The franchise's games are marketed as realistic criminal simulations.

Which is better?

Avatar image for lady_of_the_patriots
    Lady_of_the_patriots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know this is in the wrong topic forum, but I figured I'd get more answers here faster.

Which of the Yakuza games is better. 3 or 4?

I've been told just to start from game one but I don't have a ps2 anymore, but these games look right up my ally.

Mainly which one has better story, gameplay, content. Ect. I don't really care if one has more bugs or small annoyances in camera.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WMWA

Haven't played 4, but I picked up 3 on a whim and am loving it. It's kind of clunky, but it's really ambitious, the story is great and it has great atmosphere. Definitely recommend it. Can't imagine their very expensive now, anyway

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Giantstalker

4 was a ton of fun, coming from someone who hadn't played any prior Yakuza games. Kinda clunky but still quite fun.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wadtomaton

I picked up 3 recently. Decided I would start there and then go to 4. 3 has a recap of what happens story wise in 1 and 2 so while I never got to play those (which really comes down to time more than anything else) I still have enough of an idea with what is going on that I don't feel lost playing 3. I'd stay start with 3 if you can.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By drac96

I think that Yakuza 3 has a better story, but Yakuza 4 has better gameplay and content.

They are both pretty much the same in terms of gameplay. The main difference is that most of the "Japanese" things cut from 3 are in 4. So you can go to hostess clubs and such in 4 , but not 3.

If you haven't played the previous games they're easy enough to understand. Howeverm if you actually want to know what happened in the previous games there are handy videos available from the main menu you can watch for a recap.

I guess I'd recommend playing 3 first and then moving on to 4.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By clumsyninja1

4 has more characters and in this one the american version was not cut of the sidequests like in 3.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By falling_fast

4 is better.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By shirogane

You're better off starting with 3, quite a lot of enjoyment in 4 comes from having played 3.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wjb

If you can -- and I don't see why not -- start with 3 and go on to 4. They're both the same quality of game besides minor differences.

I've played all four, and I got burned out once 4 came along. I don't know, there's still so many things wrong and dated with the franchise, to a point where I'm not looking forward to any future installments. The first two on the PS2 were the better experiences, in my opinion, but again, I wasn't burnt out then like I am now.

In 4, playing four different characters was a neat idea at first, and I usually enjoy playing someone new, but I just wanted to play as Kazuma since his moves were better.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

If Yakuza 3 and 4 doesn't have something on this level then what's the point.

Also I think one of the characters is Nolan North.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.