Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Like a Dragon

Franchise »

A free-roaming action-adventure series starring Kazuma Kiryu, a former member of the Japanese Dojima crime family who is drawn into conflict against several Yakuza gangs. The franchise's games are marketed as realistic criminal simulations.

Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Edition coming to Japan in November

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By pekoe212
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME! UGGGNNGH!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

Cool. Gonna import these.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@pekoe212 said:

Do you think it's likely they will localize this version for the west?

It's a Yakuza game, so your only answers are "no" and "far later than you'd prefer".

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I want this. Never played this series but always wanted too. Problem is finding the first game plus it hear it has a bad dub. Would like the option for Japanese audio if this leaves Japan.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By killacam

playing 3 right now and absolutely loving it. how do its prequels stack up?

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By bed

that's cool. i'm not crossing my fingers for a western release but it would be neat-o. if anything i would expect a release on the PSN store. also, it means more people get to play Yakuza 2.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

Great, let's pick this topic up in two years when it comes here. If it comes here.

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pekoe212

@ImmortalSaiyan: But then you'd miss Mark Hamill as Majima!! He is genuinely awesome and memorable. I've only played some of the first game, but I would say the problem with the English dub isn't so much bad acting (although there definitely is some) but that having all these American actors try to convince you they're Japanese and attempt to pronounce Japanese names is very jarring and doesn't feel believable, just supremely awkward. I think the social conventions and ways of expressing emotions are just different enough in Japan that American actors/the English language cannot approximate it consistently, it feels strained. I'm glad they went back to the Japanese language versions but please don't count this game out just because of the voice acting.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Sooty

@pekoe212 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: But then you'd miss Mark Hamill as Majima!! He is genuinely awesome and memorable. I've only played some of the first game, but I would say the problem with the English dub isn't so much bad acting (although there definitely is some) but that having all these American actors try to convince you they're Japanese and attempt to pronounce Japanese names is very jarring and doesn't feel believable, just supremely awkward. I think the social conventions and ways of expressing emotions are just different enough in Japan that American actors/the English language cannot approximate it consistently, it feels strained. I'm glad they went back to the Japanese language versions but please don't count this game out just because of the voice acting.

Really? I think Majima sounds terrible, it's pretty bad work compared to The Joker. I didn't even believe it was him until you just made that post.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By SerHulse

I want these sooooo badly, I love 3 + 4 and would love to play the rest (hopefully soon).

I to would also like to have it just subbed instead of dubbed, or at least have the option. I definitely wouldn't skip the game because it's dubbed, I love the series too much to do something like that, but I have a profound dislike for dubbed foreign language media, no matter how good the voice actors themselves may be, I find it always sounds a little off.

I hope this comes out before Yakuza 5 so we have something to tide us over while we wait for that, which by the way, looks fucking awesome.

cclemon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By cclemon36

I've been hoping for a re-release of these games ever since the first HD collections started coming out so this news puts a smile on my face. Now just start inching your way to the west, won't you?

I like it when games localised for the west still let you select the original VO, it should be a standard. It tends to sound less awkward, and if the original acting sucks, I usually can't tell and won't get bogged down by it.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake

I like simple fact that it ticks off the food you've already eaten is used as a selling point for the series. Though in all seriousness it does help a lot. In any case that's awesome and now I want Yakuza 5 now.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

Fist-fighting tigers in HD?!

Oh fuck yes!

MyNameIsJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By MyNameIsJoe

Well hopefully if they do bring it out they'll rip out a bunch of content that they don't think is to "Japanesey", that westerners won't understand; and replace it with absolutely nothing.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pantzing_nome

@MyNameIsJoe said:

Well hopefully if they do bring it out they'll rip out a bunch of content that they don't think is to "Japanesey", that westerners won't understand; and replace it with absolutely nothing.

Yakuza 1 & 2 had all the same content for their western releases, Sega only took content out for 3.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#17  Edited By FakeKisser

I played through Yakuza 1 a couple years ago, and I really didn't love it. It was very repetitive, and the story didn't draw me in at all. The world didn't feel "alive" or particularly appealing. I kind of want to give the other games a try, though, based on other things I've heard.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mtcantor

If they fix the frame rate and load times I will just start mailing my money to Japan now.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Morrow
    cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By cannonballbam

http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/hd_edition/

the official website is up with information. I really hope this makes it stateside, I would love to replay 1 with original voice acting and replay both with trophy support.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.