Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 08, 2005

Yakuza, known in Japan as Ryu ga Gotoku (Like a Dragon), is an open-world action-adventure game with RPG elements, developed and published by Sega, in which you play the role of a Yakuza gangster known as Kazuma Kiryu. It was released in 2005.

What an odd game.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rayfield

So I played this game for the first time recently and I'm kind of weirded out. Sure, it's fun slamming dudes faces into tables etc. but what exactly kind of audience were they going for? The dialogue in this game is way over the top. 

Example 1: 

I'm walking along the street and accidentally bumped into a dude. He gets up, says "Fuck you, you fucking fuck." and then I have to fight him. 

Example 2:  

I have to shake down a old dude for money. I spend roughly forty minutes beating the crap out of his employees while calling them 'motherfuckers'. 

Example 3:  

The old dude returns for revenge and threatens to 'fuck my world up' because he's hired some 'bad-ass motherfuckers'. After I beat him into submission, he runs off screaming 'Fuuuucccckkk!'. 

What were they going for exactly? Just trying to get in on that mad GTA cash? Perhaps going over the top and thus making bro's around the world laugh their asses off? 

PRETTY SURE THAT TRANSLATES TO
    PRETTY SURE THAT TRANSLATES TO "FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK!!!!"
    crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By crystalskull2

Every Yakuza game have become bestseller in Japan. So,i guess japanese audience like the swearing part.

On a side note, i played the first 2 games and even though they have many flaws, i liked them very much.

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
    deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@Rayfield said:

"
     The dialog in this game is way over the top.  

Perhaps going over the top and thus making bro's around the world laugh their asses off? 

The 1st Yakuza game is Known for it's terrible English voice acting, Michael Madsen is amazing .
    You Haven't even seen the part in Yakuza 2 where you beat up men dressed as babies.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rayfield
    @SamuSlave said:
    "@Rayfield said:

"
     The dialog in this game is way over the top.  

Perhaps going over the top and thus making bro's around the world laugh their asses off? 

The 1st Yakuza game is Known for it's terrible English voice acting, Michael Madsen is amazing .
    You Haven't even seen the part in Yakuza 2 where you beat up men dressed as babies. "

Oooohkay.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rayfield

I also should point out that Yakuza really reminded me what terrible load times are all about. Seriously, any time I did anything it goes to a load screen. Talk to a dude, LOAD, walk on the street, LOAD, walk into door, LOAD, walk out of door, LOAD. My God, it was frustrating. 

"FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKINGFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK"
    IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By IkariNoTekken

I think most of the swearing is added in to the international versions as my mate has the original copy from Japan and supposedly that kinda stuff isn't in it the game when playing in Japanese. Basically blame SEGA USA and who ever else changed it...they also took a bunch of stuff out that they thought wasn't necessary for international audiences. 

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

There are no swears in Japan just insults.  I'm serious.  Fuck isn't a bad word there.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By bed
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " There are no swears in Japan just insults.  I'm serious.  Fuck isn't a bad word there. "
    i have a friend who moved here from Japan and i never believe him when he says that.  
    i refuse to believe this!! 
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By OmegaPirate

STREET PUNKS 

Best thing about Yakuza games :D

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

Dammit... I thought Rayfield was back for a second.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.