Yatagarasu, a new fighting game, is coming to eShop.

#1 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

Well, not exactly new. Yatagarasu was originally released in Japan in 2011, but Nicalis is working on a 3DS eShop release for North America and Europe. You might be wondering what the hell a Yatagarasu is, and if you thought this:

'Sup.

Well, I couldn't say I blame you. However, the fighting game Yatagarsu was developed by a small team that has previous experience working on the King of Fighters series. Hopefully the netcode is better than KOFXII.

No word on a release date yet, but the game will supposedly be shown at PAX next weekend.

#2 Posted by RetroVirus (1458 posts) -

Cool. I remember the Yu-Gi-Oh! Yatagarasu card.

#3 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

I'll be buying this.

#4 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (730 posts) -

When I see the word Yatagarasu, I think of

#5 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

Nicalis? See you in five years maybe, Yatagarasu.

#6 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

get it, the guy's name is crow, and the game, it's called yatagarasu. which is like a crow. woah!

this trailer did nothing for me other than introduce a bunch of generic looking characters drawn like kof13 doing generic moves, hopefully there's some cool stuff in the future that comes out of it in the future.

#7 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@RetroVirus said:

It was a good card.

#8 Posted by Hunter5024 (5544 posts) -

Kinda dig the art style to that game.

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@RetroVirus said:

It was a good card.

So good that it was the reason they made a list of banned cards. Fun Fact: As all of the Spirit Cards are based on Japanese mythology, there are many common names between them and Persona 4. Such as The Inaba White Rabbit, Izanami, Izanagi, and Hino Kagu-Tsuchi.

#9 Posted by RetroVirus (1458 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

Kinda dig the art style to that game.

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@RetroVirus said:

It was a good card.

So good that it was the reason they made a list of banned cards. Fun Fact: As all of the Spirit Cards are based on Japanese mythology, there are many common names between them and Persona 4. Such as The Inaba White Rabbit, Izanami, Izanagi, and Hino Kagu-Tsuchi.

So Yu-Gi-Oh! was secretly a way to raise awareness for Persona 4? Tricky Wizards of the Coast, I never saw through their web of marketing.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

@stonepawfox said:

get it, the guy's name is crow, and the game, it's called yatagarasu. which is like a crow. woah!

this trailer did nothing for me other than introduce a bunch of generic looking characters drawn like kof13 doing generic moves, hopefully there's some cool stuff in the future that comes out of it in the future.

It's easy to be reductive, but fighting games that don't feature familiar casts always have this uphill battle. Trailers need to inform people about the characters, which isn't as easy in a three-minute montage when the characters aren't as recognizable as Ryu and Ken.

#11 Edited by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

yeah but you have to admit there was literally nothing there that implies any interesting fighting system or any cool looking moves. it didn't inform me about the characters, like 3/4ths of them are bishounen or bishoujo with swords

edit: well actually, most of them just punch each other

#12 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

@stonepawfox said:

yeah but you have to admit there was literally nothing there that implies any interesting fighting system or any cool looking moves. it didn't inform me about the characters, like 3/4ths of them are bishounen or bishoujo with swords

Once again, that's reductive. You could make a similar trailer for any fighting game, even one with well-established characters, and people that have no knowledge of them would come away with notions like, "Who's Ryu? He looks like Generic Serious Karate Guy. What is this bullshit?" That Yatagarasu uses a character art style with a lot of bishounen and bishoujo characters isn't an issue because a lot of fighting games do the very same. You're basically criticizing the game without knowing anything about it.

#13 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

i'm actually criticizing the trailer because it doesn't show me anything about the game. you can't criticize the game yet, i was saying i was looking forward to seeing if there's anything worthwhile about it in the future.

take for example the initial trailer for sf4. it at least gripped you because the art style was cool, despite the fact it was just ryu and ken doing the same old shit. i realize this is just a character trailer, i realize it is a sneak peak, but look at the gui. look at the characters fighting each other. think about all the fighting games that are currently out - this doesn't grip me in any way. and none of the characters look in any way interesting, the only one that isnt a typical looking person is just a big grappler dude with spinning piledrivers. it's just...really dull.

but hey, maybe it will be cool.

#14 Edited by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

@stonepawfox said:

i'm actually criticizing the trailer because it doesn't show me anything about the game. you can't criticize the game yet, i was saying i was looking forward to seeing if there's anything worthwhile about it in the future.

take for example the initial trailer for sf4. it at least gripped you because the art style was cool, despite the fact it was just ryu and ken doing the same old shit. i realize this is just a character trailer, i realize it is a sneak peak, but look at the gui. look at the characters fighting each other. think about all the fighting games that are currently out - this doesn't grip me in any way. and none of the characters look in any way interesting, the only one that isnt a typical looking person is just a big grappler dude with spinning piledrivers. it's just...really dull.

but hey, maybe it will be cool.

I took all of that into consideration when I first watched the trailer. There's a lot left unsaid, but what they did show looks promising to me. Obviously, you don't feel the same way. Even more, the trailer gave me the urge to look up more about the game independently and see what I could learn outside of a Japanese trailer with minimal background information. That's what a good trailer should do; entice the viewer to want to learn more, particularly if the trailer is for an unknown quantity like this game.

#15 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

I knew I had heard that name somewhere before!

#16 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

@PixelPrinny said:

I knew I had heard that name somewhere before!

I'm glad I could help!

#17 Posted by lead_farmer (1040 posts) -

Don't have a 3DS, but would give this a look if I did. Always fun to see new fighting games, even if I am awful at them.

#18 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@stonepawfox said:

edit: well actually, most of them just punch each other

Huh, I though it oozed SNK hallmarks. I agree with Hailinel, these games are difficult to promote, especially in the West I think, in many ways that's why these ads are dumbed down like this, in turn making the product seem generic. It's done with good reason though, few Westerners would appreciate a detailing of back-story in a debut trailer, for a Japanese fighting game. It's best to lay it out simply, Nicallis must know this. I think they've seen how popular fighting games are becoming on 3DS, and the popularity of the genre in the West as a whole, and are clearly looking to capitalize on that in the most efficient way possible.

The game is available to play at PAX, everyone will know of it's quality, or lack thereof, soon enough.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.