YooStar2 Lets You Be Eddie Murphy

• 120 results
Posted by Jeff (3417 posts) -

What do you get when you cross the vocal timing and social features of SingStar with the background scanning technology of You're In The Movies? It's YooStar2, a game that essentially operates as karaoke for movie scenes. Brad, Drew, and I ran off to a hotel room earlier this week to check it out and came back with... some pretty ridiculous video footage.

In case the clips below aren't self-explanatory, here's a bit of setup. After picking a scene from a menu of over 40 scenes, you get in front of the camera, position yourself properly, and perform. The game shows the lines on-screen, much like Rock Band or SingStar would with song lyrics. The colored bar that sweeps across the dialogue lets you know where you're supposed to fit in.

After performing the scene, it's played back, showing you (and, in some cases, a friend) dropped into the movie scene, performing your lines. At this point, your performance is rated. If you're ad-libbing or just sort of messing around, you can switch to a mode that doesn't put such a priority on accuracy. You'll also be able to use some famous movie locations on their own, with no set dialogue. So if you want to record a bunch of goofy business on the bridge of the Enterprise, that's in there.

There will be a social side to the game, as well, allowing you to share your clips online, where they'll be rated and awarded by the community. A team of actual human beings will look at each piece of footage before it goes live, though, so my plans to perform The Fast and the Furious in the nude sound like they've already been totally dashed. Other available footage includes Baby Mama, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Beverly Hills Cop, Still Smokin', some Three Stooges shorts, and some television, such as Star Trek: The Next Generation.

OK, enough about all that. Here's me and Brad acting poorly:

It's worth noting that the game still seems to be kind of early, and things like the way the game counts you in to start performing and the way the game tries to cut you out of the background to place you into the scene aren't quite finished. Also, it's worth noting that the game makes use of the Xbox 360's Kinect Sensor and the PlayStation Move, but this is there for menu navigation.

Look, I can't front. This whole thing seems stupid... but it seems stupid in a way that I can totally get behind. With the right footage in place and a steady stream of DLC (which, of course, is the plan), YooStar2 could be pretty fun to mess around with in a group of shameless extroverts.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3417 posts) -

What do you get when you cross the vocal timing and social features of SingStar with the background scanning technology of You're In The Movies? It's YooStar2, a game that essentially operates as karaoke for movie scenes. Brad, Drew, and I ran off to a hotel room earlier this week to check it out and came back with... some pretty ridiculous video footage.

In case the clips below aren't self-explanatory, here's a bit of setup. After picking a scene from a menu of over 40 scenes, you get in front of the camera, position yourself properly, and perform. The game shows the lines on-screen, much like Rock Band or SingStar would with song lyrics. The colored bar that sweeps across the dialogue lets you know where you're supposed to fit in.

After performing the scene, it's played back, showing you (and, in some cases, a friend) dropped into the movie scene, performing your lines. At this point, your performance is rated. If you're ad-libbing or just sort of messing around, you can switch to a mode that doesn't put such a priority on accuracy. You'll also be able to use some famous movie locations on their own, with no set dialogue. So if you want to record a bunch of goofy business on the bridge of the Enterprise, that's in there.

There will be a social side to the game, as well, allowing you to share your clips online, where they'll be rated and awarded by the community. A team of actual human beings will look at each piece of footage before it goes live, though, so my plans to perform The Fast and the Furious in the nude sound like they've already been totally dashed. Other available footage includes Baby Mama, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Beverly Hills Cop, Still Smokin', some Three Stooges shorts, and some television, such as Star Trek: The Next Generation.

OK, enough about all that. Here's me and Brad acting poorly:

It's worth noting that the game still seems to be kind of early, and things like the way the game counts you in to start performing and the way the game tries to cut you out of the background to place you into the scene aren't quite finished. Also, it's worth noting that the game makes use of the Xbox 360's Kinect Sensor and the PlayStation Move, but this is there for menu navigation.

Look, I can't front. This whole thing seems stupid... but it seems stupid in a way that I can totally get behind. With the right footage in place and a steady stream of DLC (which, of course, is the plan), YooStar2 could be pretty fun to mess around with in a group of shameless extroverts.
Staff
#2 Posted by Videogames (257 posts) -

Oh god

#3 Edited by PrintedCrayon (170 posts) -

Truly this is the future.

#4 Posted by plasmafrag (26 posts) -

Jeff's Worf wasn't half bad

#5 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

That video was awesome, doesn't beat the you're in the movies video though.

#6 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

its like your in the movies but for reals this time

#7 Posted by EvilMuffin (133 posts) -

Movie karaoke!

#8 Posted by Megasoum (351 posts) -

Wow that was awesome hahaha

#9 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

That was hilarious!

#10 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Ahahaha this looks like its much better than You're in the Movies.

#11 Posted by nickux (1383 posts) -

"Herpes simplex teeeen" 

Game: Awesome Line!

#12 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

That was pretty hysterical. Interesting game...

#13 Posted by b33 (413 posts) -

look! it's square brad!

#14 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

Brad, you're missing the right side of your head.

#15 Posted by beeryayghost (325 posts) -

Im going to buy this so hard.

#16 Posted by onarum (2013 posts) -
@Jeff said:

it's worth noting that the game makes use of the Xbox 360's Kinect Sensor and the PlayStation Move, but this is there for menu navigation.
wow, that's.... I can't even begin to understand that....

#17 Posted by buzz_clik (6908 posts) -

Bizarre, ridiculous and awesome concept. Plus that's some spot-on Murphying by Jeff.

P.S. Scan the background.

#18 Posted by Sil3n7 (1176 posts) -

What the hell is going on in this post...

Oh god.

#19 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

Wow. Loved the video, but I feel sorry for anyone who buys that game.

#20 Edited by Derekh1029 (55 posts) -

GBTNT NIGHT!!

#21 Edited by AlwaysBeClothing (1446 posts) -

Jeff is an accomplished Worf impersonator.  Available for PAX parties I'm sure.

It seems like they should give you more headway for the really fast lines.

#22 Posted by FalseDeity (229 posts) -

Well, that certainly was interesting.

#23 Edited by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

How bad is it that I recognize the episode of Next Gen from that short clip?

And yeah, Jeff's Worf wasn't bad at all. He's got the voice for it more than most people.

#24 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

Think of the possibilities 

#25 Posted by Xeiphyer (5594 posts) -

Hilarious! They need to make a way to show when the line is going to be fast so you can prepare though. Brad got caught totally off guard =P

#26 Posted by Coolarman (662 posts) -

Alright make that two games that i want with the kinect 

this and Dance central

#27 Posted by Dirty_Harry (717 posts) -

haha fantastic!

#28 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

That Star Trek bit had me rolling. "I like my species the way it is!" Well played, Jeff.

#29 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

hahaha amazing

#30 Posted by Urmean (599 posts) -

No John, you ARE Eddie Murphy.

#31 Posted by Korosive (201 posts) -
@onarum said:
" @Jeff said:

it's worth noting that the game makes use of the Xbox 360's Kinect Sensor and the PlayStation Move, but this is there for menu navigation.

"
I think he means there will also be a PS3 version. I think...
#32 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

LOL awesome.  

Btw, Jeff > Brad at this game...

#33 Posted by onarum (2013 posts) -
@Korosive said:
" @onarum said:
" @Jeff said:

"
I think he means there will also be a PS3 version. I think... "
Dunno about that, I'm not sure if the pseye can do that kind of stuff.
#34 Posted by aButton (69 posts) -

Endurance Run.

#35 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3700 posts) -

This is going to make the quicklook of the century when it finally comes out.

#36 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

I can totally see me and my friends doing this.

#37 Posted by cabelhigh (244 posts) -

What about YooStar1?

#38 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@DG991 said:
" LOL awesome.   Btw, Jeff > Brad at this game... "
But Brad didn't die once!
#39 Posted by zoozilla (977 posts) -

That looks awesome...

But I would never play it myself.

#40 Posted by KuribosShoe (640 posts) -

jeff's worf voice ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuules

#41 Edited by TepidShark (1058 posts) -

I think this is the killer app for Kinect & Move.

PS. There is totally a PS3 Version. Also, check out the Yoostar site there are a ton of scenes from all kinds of movies & TV available for the version on computer.

#42 Posted by Kowalczyk (139 posts) -

This is amazing, can't wait to see what the full list of movies are, I don't see my self getting it but it sure is interesting. I hope for a QL of this one day.

#43 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -
@mosdl: He was dead when he was doing norbit. Look closely, you can see it. 
#44 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

haha that video was awesome.

#45 Posted by TepidShark (1058 posts) -

This needs to be in this:

#46 Posted by monster9999 (393 posts) -

Lets get the whole bombcast crew in a scene then it will be amazing

#47 Posted by RedEyesBlueBunny (1011 posts) -

i think i want this

#48 Posted by HAL9000 (70 posts) -

That was fantastic, the Star Trek scene was great and I hope the whole crew gets their hands on this!

#49 Posted by baron_calamity (240 posts) -

That Eddie Murphy was kind of freaky.
#50 Posted by Russcat (140 posts) -

Haha... Good stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.