Yoshinori Ono Takes Temporary Leave from Street Fighter Producer Role

• 58 results
Posted by Alex (1834 posts) -

Yoshinori Ono made his triumphant return to Twitter today after a prolonged absence. That absence was due in no small part to a medical ailment that caused Capcom's Street Fighter franchise producer to collapse at a recent Street Fighter x Tekken event in Asia, and sent him to the hospital. Ono's return to tweeting saw him immediately letting fans know he was okay and that the team was hard at work on future Street Fighter x Tekken patch updates, as well as to let everyone know that he'll be stepping down from his role as series producer for the foreseeable future.

This is how the world ends.

Ono didn't specify how long he'd be out, nor who his replacement as head of one of Capcom's biggest game franchises would be, simply saying that "another person" would be in charge of the series for "a while."

Ono's history with the Street Fighter series is a long one, though his role as the front-facing voice of the franchise (especially from the Japanese side) and lead producer of the series has only been in place since Street Fighter IV. Still, Ono's name and boisterous personality are inextricably linked with all things Street Fighter these days, making the idea of an Ono-less Street Fighter a somewhat strange and unfamiliar one.

Ono gave no clues about what he'd be doing in the interim, save but to say that he would be providing "constant support" for those currently working on Street Fighter x Tekken and any future projects. His only clue to future intentions (beyond that of simply recuperating) was to say that while he's out, he'll be thinking "about the new future of fighting game after this."

We here at Giant Bomb wish Ono good health and a speedy recovery, and eagerly await the day when he can bring his personal brand of high octane crazy back to the Street Fighter scene, and resume doing things like recreating the M. Bison monologue from Street Fighter: The Movie, because hey, why the hell not?

Staff Online
#1 Posted by Alex (1834 posts) -

Yoshinori Ono made his triumphant return to Twitter today after a prolonged absence. That absence was due in no small part to a medical ailment that caused Capcom's Street Fighter franchise producer to collapse at a recent Street Fighter x Tekken event in Asia, and sent him to the hospital. Ono's return to tweeting saw him immediately letting fans know he was okay and that the team was hard at work on future Street Fighter x Tekken patch updates, as well as to let everyone know that he'll be stepping down from his role as series producer for the foreseeable future.

This is how the world ends.

Ono didn't specify how long he'd be out, nor who his replacement as head of one of Capcom's biggest game franchises would be, simply saying that "another person" would be in charge of the series for "a while."

Ono's history with the Street Fighter series is a long one, though his role as the front-facing voice of the franchise (especially from the Japanese side) and lead producer of the series has only been in place since Street Fighter IV. Still, Ono's name and boisterous personality are inextricably linked with all things Street Fighter these days, making the idea of an Ono-less Street Fighter a somewhat strange and unfamiliar one.

Ono gave no clues about what he'd be doing in the interim, save but to say that he would be providing "constant support" for those currently working on Street Fighter x Tekken and any future projects. His only clue to future intentions (beyond that of simply recuperating) was to say that while he's out, he'll be thinking "about the new future of fighting game after this."

We here at Giant Bomb wish Ono good health and a speedy recovery, and eagerly await the day when he can bring his personal brand of high octane crazy back to the Street Fighter scene, and resume doing things like recreating the M. Bison monologue from Street Fighter: The Movie, because hey, why the hell not?

Staff Online
#2 Posted by MosesWalker (51 posts) -

Hope he gets better.

#3 Posted by Scarabus (476 posts) -

Ono is the man.

#4 Posted by Soap (3530 posts) -

I walked past him once in london, he must of noticed the pure fanboy expression on my face because he gave me a smile and a nod, hope he gets better soon.

#5 Posted by jukeboxzer0 (70 posts) -

he will shoryuken that illness in the face!

#6 Posted by GlenTennis (3143 posts) -
#7 Posted by Rhaknar (5940 posts) -

i wonder if he was working on darkstalkers 4 (if that even exists), and if so, what will happen to it. He was pretty much the only one that was (publicly) pushing for it

#8 Posted by BonOrbitz (2089 posts) -

I hope Capcom isn't working him to death and that he gets well soon.

#9 Posted by DeF (4695 posts) -

@jukeboxzer0 said:

he will shoryuken that illness in the face!

I'm still baffled that he was even able to get sick. He's always seemed full of THE SUN (.....THE SUN!)

:)

get well soon, Ono!

#10 Posted by JohnnyBarnstorm (13 posts) -

OH NO!!!

#11 Posted by rndmtask (144 posts) -

Ono is awesome, but dude needs a well deserved vacation. Get well soon, Ono-san.

#12 Posted by Babylonian (836 posts) -

O NO!!

#13 Posted by csl316 (7381 posts) -
@bonorbitz

I hope Capcom isn't working him to death and that he gets well soon.

#14 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (559 posts) -

I wish him the best.

#15 Posted by dropabombonit (1474 posts) -

Good to hear an update on this, was getting worried for a bit. I wish him the best

#16 Posted by Hailinel (22741 posts) -

I wish Ono the best.

#17 Posted by probablytuna (3446 posts) -

Get well soon duder.

#18 Posted by MmaFanQc (102 posts) -

good move, nothing is more important than health.

#19 Posted by heatDrive88 (2178 posts) -

Get well soon, Ono.
#20 Posted by Undeadpool (4870 posts) -

@GlenTennis said:

A ray of sanity and hope for our time...

#21 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

@GlenTennis said:

I remember when they made that joke in The Perfect Score. And I'm probably the only one who vaguely remembers that film and thinking it was kind of okay!

#22 Posted by Legend (2599 posts) -

@Babylonian said:

O NO!!

@JohnnyBarnstorm said:

OH NO!!!

This and this.

#23 Posted by ELpork (179 posts) -

@GlenTennis said:

This please, yes.

#24 Posted by Pop (2530 posts) -

Ono will cross assault that illness right in it's life bar.

#25 Posted by MeatSim (10605 posts) -

Everyone needs some extended R&R every once and a while.

#26 Posted by adamazing (78 posts) -

He's a great man, and possibly the most genuinely enthusiastic man I have ever met. Also, I still think he looks like a Japanese Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter).

#27 Posted by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

This guy is awesome the game industry needs more personalities like him.

#28 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1852 posts) -

All the best to Ono, hope he finally takes some much deserved time off.

#29 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Ono and Gootecks gone...these are dark times. :(

#30 Posted by fox01313 (5034 posts) -

Get well soon & glad to see that he's taking time out for this.

#31 Posted by Humanity (7999 posts) -

@Sooty said:

What happened to Gootecks?!

#32 Posted by BBQBram (2165 posts) -

@adamazing said:

He's a great man, and possibly the most genuinely enthusiastic man I have ever met. Also, I still think he looks like a Japanese Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter).

Shit you're right, he does a bit.

#33 Posted by MostlyBearded (191 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Sooty said:

He said he was stepping down from Cross Counter. No idea what his plans are for the future.

#34 Posted by metalsnakezero (2273 posts) -

He needs a break for all he has done. Best of luck to him and his health.

#35 Posted by Dan_CiTi (2936 posts) -

Glad to hear he's okay and taking a rest from it all, hopefully someone with the love of it he has will be heading the next Darkstalkers.

#36 Posted by Humanity (7999 posts) -

@MostlyBearded said:

@Humanity said:

@Sooty said:

He said he was stepping down from Cross Counter. No idea what his plans are for the future.

Oh that sucks! Gootecks was the funner half of Cross Counter. I like Mike Ross and they made an awesome duo, but I always preferred Gootecks if I had to choose. I wouldn't mind if Combofiend stepped in I guess.

#37 Posted by JJOR64 (18790 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@MostlyBearded said:

@Humanity said:

@Sooty said:

Oh that sucks! Gootecks was the funner half of Cross Counter. I like Mike Ross and they made an awesome duo, but I always preferred Gootecks if I had to choose. I wouldn't mind if Combofiend stepped in I guess.

Gootecks was at WNF last night. He wont be part of Cross Counter anymore, but it sounds like he will still be doing stuff for the FGC.

#38 Posted by VicRattlehead (1397 posts) -

GET WELL SOON ONOOOOOO!

#39 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

He has been working non-stop since 2008. Take a few months off, mr. Ono. Though I truly hope you'll be at the helmet when making the new Darkstalkers. Be well, sir.

#40 Edited by durden77 (297 posts) -

I hope all turns well for him. There's no doubt that he has had a great role in the FGC, and he's always taken enjoyment in his work which is what I'm sure led him to his development success. I do hope he comes back to working on fighting games, it wouldn't quite be the same without him at this point. But of course his health comes first and I wish him the best.

#41 Posted by waldy (40 posts) -

O NO!!!!!

sorry, had to get it out of my system. seriously hope he's OK

#42 Posted by DeadPan (303 posts) -

Man has been a workaholic since he took over the SF franchise as Producer. He has done a great job and deserve a rest. Get well soon Ono-san!

#43 Posted by Phished0ne (2433 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

@Humanity said:

@MostlyBearded said:

@Humanity said:

@Sooty said:

Gootecks was at WNF last night. He wont be part of Cross Counter anymore, but it sounds like he will still be doing stuff for the FGC.

He was only at WNF last night because Mike"Mike"Mike Ross" Ross" Ross tricked him into coming and competing.

Back to the topic, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR DARKSTALKERS!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!!?!!?!?

#44 Posted by RurouniGeo (57 posts) -

Ono is the man. I think this will put any Darkstalkers 4 or Rival Schools or any other IP revivals on hold for a while but honestly this is a good thing.

This year a ton of great fighing games are coming out or have already come out & the Market is a little oversaturated right now. For example I'm buying KoF 13 instead of SFxT because of its lower price and actually has less bugs and more content right now.

Speedy recovery to Ono-san though. I look forward to him and Harada joking around more for the development & release of TekkenXStreetFighter.

#45 Posted by HadesTimes (793 posts) -

Poor guy, he wore himself out. Hopefully he will get better soon. It's good he's taking a break. I'm sure this is what he needed.

#46 Edited by MikeFightNight (1052 posts) -

Stay healthy Ono! I know what he will be doing with his time off, brainstorming new Darkstalkers ideas xD *fingers crossed*

#47 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

Looks like the FGC finally tired him to the point of hospitalization.

#48 Posted by Blunt (59 posts) -

Time for Capcom to lick some serious boot and contract Inafune to be the interim public face of the company during Ono's hopefully short absence.

#49 Posted by Jayzz (590 posts) -

cashcom losing people and EMPJared going to take over the world. us Kappa monsters gotta call kotaku

#50 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (451 posts) -

Clearly he's working on a new Darkstalkers...a guy can dream right? >_>;;;;

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.