Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yoshi's Island DS

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 13, 2006

Yoshi's Island comes to the DS in this sequel by Artoon.

So Did Anyone Else Play/Enjoy This Game?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Poll So Did Anyone Else Play/Enjoy This Game? (24 votes)

I both played it and enjoyed it 33%
    I played it but didn't enjoy it 21%
    I neither played or enjoyed it 33%
    I didn't even know this game existed 13%

So there were a handful of previews out today about the new Yoshi's Island for 3DS. Something I noticed was how none of them mentioned the last game in the series, Yoshi's Island DS. At the time I really enjoyed it, and I felt like the addition of baby versions of different characters added a lot to the gameplay. And unlike many critics I thought that the difficulty ramped up towards the end, and I could never even beat most of the bonus stages, much less at 100%. While I can't say it got as much playtime as New Super Mario Bros did, it was definitely my second favorite platformer on the DS. And this is coming from someone who played pretty much every worthwhile platformer on the system (Kirby Super Star Ultra, Sonic DS, The Legendary Starfy, NSMB, and Yoshi's Island) outside of maybe Super Princess Peach. I am a huge fan of 2D Nintendo platformers so maybe my memory of them is more extensive than most, but I really enjoyed the last Yoshi's Island which made me curious if I'm alone in that opinion or if others enjoyed it as well.

• 
    crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

it's not that I would say "I didn't enjoy it" but I was disappointed. I had high expectations after the SNES game and it's pretty decent

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By 49th

I bought Yoshi Touch & Go by accident thinking it was this game back in the day and I hated it.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I seriously didn't know it existed. I did however get excited for the 3DS game because....uhh....well because I love my 3DS and I'll play anything on it. Maybe if I can get this for cheap I may play it. I'm also excited for the Yarn Yoshi game, so that's 2 Yoshi games I'm looking forward to.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I played it and beat it. It wasn't awful by any means, but it definitely felt "off" somehow. The music was a big part of my problem with the game I think, that was definitely a weak point. Maybe the level design too? I'd have to play this back-to-back with the original to really understand what I disliked about it. Also, it was a little bit shorter than the original.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

After playing Yoshis Island on the GBA (sorry, never owned a snes), I wanted more so yeah, I bought it and played the shit out of it. Quite enjoyed it, too.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

After playing Yoshis Island on the GBA (sorry, never owned a snes), I wanted more so yeah, I bought it and played the shit out of it. Quite enjoyed it, too.

You know, SNES the whole Fuzzies sequence is still something they could never emulate well without the SFX chip. And that's why almost all of the games fall short from the SNES version. And it's one scene that only happens once, but it's so important to me about the game, especially yoshi's dilated eyes.

No Caption Provided

Just reminded, this is probably the first time in games I played where the character is just difficult to play as in a weird corridor sequence that only happens once. The emotional weight of playing as Yoshi resonates through the dramatic effects of being under the influence of Fuzzies

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: That was one of the first DS games back in the day. It inspired a similar game called Kirby Canvas Curse which is one of the rarest and most sought after DS games today. I have played neither, but it sucks you didn't get to play this true Yoshi's Island sequel.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I heard someone talking trash about "all those yoshi DS games" and my immediate thought was what Yoshi games? Are these games famously bad or something? Sounds like you all liked them.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: There were only two that I know of. Yoshi Touch and Go was a really early DS game that was more of a tech demo than an actual game. It wasn't especially well received. Yoshi's Island DS is a game I like. It got a 9.1 from Gamespot at the time of its release so it definitely wasn't famously bad. It's a pretty safe sequel to the SNES game. Mostly the same gameplay just you now had baby Peach, Bowser, and Donkey Kong in addition to Mario.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.