Yosuke is a biggot.

• 0 results
#1 Posted by honey_power (51 posts) -

I liked Yosuke a bit... before the school campout scene... when Kanji comes into his tent and Yosuke pretty much refuses to sleep in the same tent as him because he's afraid that Kanji will mess with him sexually when he's asleep. Did this scene leave a bad taste in anyone else's mouth? Also, not to mention, he packed swimsuits for Chie and Yukiko and then pretty much forced them to wear them. I'm really hoping that his character developes out of his immature chauvinistic and homophobic attitude.    
#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

I fucking hated Yosuke throughout the entire game.
#3 Edited by Kowbrainz (923 posts) -

--oh right, you haven't finished yet.

I'll just say that yeah, it's just his character. He's a dick at times and he has sides to him that aren't too glamorous, but he's still a good guy overall. Personally I think it's these flaws that make him that much more likable.

#4 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Should be in the P4 forums. Anyhoos, yeah Yosuke is a bit of a dick but in a way I think that's kinda good in this sense since it gives him some character. It kinda makes him more believable in my eyes. Are you playing the game yourself or did you watch the ER? He's dickish sometimes but he's a real cool dude if you spend time with him.

#5 Posted by Aas (603 posts) -

He's young, horny and insecure. Give him time.

#6 Posted by honey_power (51 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
"Should be in the P4 forums. Anyhoos, yeah Yosuke is a bit of a dick but in a way I think that's kinda good in this sense since it gives him some character. It kinda makes him more believable in my eyes. Are you playing the game yourself or did you watch the ER? He's dickish sometimes but he's a real cool dude if you spend time with him. "

I don't know what the ER is. I'm playing the game myself.
#7 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
" I fucking hated Yosuke throughout the entire game. "
Me too. Fuckin' spikey-haired, racial stereotype.
#8 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

ER is the Endurance Run.
Yeah, Yosuke can be a dick. But he's still young and has a lot to learn. None of the characters are perfect, and that helps makes them believable.

#9 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -
@honey_power: Giant Bomb did an Endurance Run of the game last year but since you're playing through the game yourself don't bother watching it (it's very long) unless you're interested in how Jeff and Vinny fared in it.
#10 Posted by honey_power (51 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" @honey_power: Giant Bomb did an Endurance Run of the game last year but since you're playing through the game yourself don't bother watching it (it's very long) unless you're interested in how Jeff and Vinny fared in it. "

I will not be watching it. I like playing and beating games myself. =P
#11 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@honey_power said:
" I liked Yosuke a bit... before the school campout scene... when Kanji comes into his tent and Yosuke pretty much refuses to sleep in the same tent as him because he's afraid that Kanji will mess with him sexually when he's asleep. Did this scene leave a bad taste in anyone else's mouth? Also, not to mention, he packed swimsuits for Chie and Yukiko and then pretty much forced them to wear them. I'm really hoping that his character developes out of his immature chauvinistic and homophobic attitude.     "
Oh man that was the best fucking episode ever. The bloody nose scene. The tent scene. The food scene. ER classics.
#12 Edited by ViciousAnchovy (725 posts) -
@honey_power: You can always watch the ER after you beat the game. That's what I did. Also, Jeff and Vinny seem to really think Yosuke is a dick, too. Also, it's hilarious; the whole ER I mean. The first couple of episodes are a bit slow, but still worth it.
#13 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

So do I. A lot of viewers like to play it themselves, but still enjoyed the Endurance Run. My Endurance Run run thread on GameFAQs' Persona 4 board was incredibly popular, and those were all people who had already played the game or planned on playing it. The Endurance Run brought many Persona 4 fans to the site, because they enjoyed watching it.

#14 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" So do I. A lot of viewers like to play it themselves, but still enjoyed the Endurance Run. My Endurance Run run thread on GameFAQs' Persona 4 board was incredibly popular, and those were all people who had already played the game or planned on playing it. The Endurance Run brought many Persona 4 fans to the site, because they enjoyed watching it. "
I remember that thread on GameFAQs. It was popular.
#15 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -

Hahaha. 

He sure didn't mind sleeping with Kanji in the doujinshi I just finished reading, if you catch my drift.

#16 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

He's a high school student. 'Nuff said.

#17 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

I thought Yosuke was the most believable character of all. I mean, I have loads of mates who are really nice people, but also have 'problems' like homophobia-I say 'problems' because homophobia being a problem is debatable by some people (like my friends). They still are nice people, they just have a bit of a bad side.
 I mean, how many of you are perfect?

#18 Posted by honey_power (51 posts) -

I didn't say he wasn't believable. He's deffinently believable, but that doesn't make him any less of a biggot. The fact that I can dislike him so much says something about how well his character is, I think.
#19 Posted by CaptainObvious (2993 posts) -

I hate Yosuke. I HATE YOSUKE. WHEN YOU SAY YOSUKE I SAY ANGER MANAGEMENT ISSUES. GRRRRRR.

#20 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@CaptainObvious said:
" I hate Yosuke. I HATE YOSUKE. WHEN YOU SAY YOSUKE I SAY ANGER MANAGEMENT ISSUES. GRRRRRR. "
Care to elaborate?
#21 Posted by Canberra (1065 posts) -

I’d say that was normal for a straight teenager to act like that, he’s only a youngster it’s natural to be a little insecure.

I mean he’s probably only seen homosexuals on the internet.    

#22 Posted by gavingt (61 posts) -

Don't be so dismissive of the Endurance Run. I guarantee you'll have more fun watching Jeff and Vinny play than doing so yourself.

#23 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -
@Canberra said:
"

I’d say that was normal for a straight teenager to act like that, he’s only a youngster it’s natural to be a little insecure.

I mean he’s probably only seen homosexuals on the internet.    

"

The problem is that people shouldn't have that reaction at all, regardless of age or orientation. People should be taught from an early age that homosexuality is normal, in my opinion. Our current heteronormative society is the reason homosexuality is seen as wrong to so- oh, hell, there I go again.
#24 Posted by CaptainObvious (2993 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" I hate Yosuke. I HATE YOSUKE. WHEN YOU SAY YOSUKE I SAY ANGER MANAGEMENT ISSUES. GRRRRRR. "
Care to elaborate? "
I just really don't like Yosuke. When I hear him talking I want to kill somebody. 
#25 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -
@honey_power: The game and its characters are very true-to-life where Japan is concerned.  That's to say that (despite the whole yaoi/yuri thing) Japan is a very perverted and homophobic country. 

Also he's young.  I was pretty homophobic myself at that age, and if I had the chance to see a good-looking girl in a bathing suit, I took it.
#26 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@CaptainObvious said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
Care to elaborate? "
I just really don't like Yosuke. When I hear him talking I want to kill somebody.  "
Fair enough I suppose. I recommend never watching any of the movies or playing any of the video games on this page however. I don't want you killing anyone.
#27 Posted by CaptainObvious (2993 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
Care to elaborate? "
I just really don't like Yosuke. When I hear him talking I want to kill somebody.  "
Fair enough I suppose. I recommend never watching any of the movies or playing any of the video games on this page however. I don't want you killing anyone. "
It's not that bad. My family is still alive after ER. Can't say the same about my neighbours though.
#28 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@CaptainObvious said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
Care to elaborate? "
Fair enough I suppose. I recommend never watching any of the movies or playing any of the video games on this page however. I don't want you killing anyone. "
It's not that bad. My family is still alive after ER. Can't say the same about my neighbours though. "
I'm terrified. But I'm also excited that I have the most posts in the Yosuke forum with a total of 5! Take that!  :P
#29 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

It's unfortunate, but Yosuke's attitude isn't uncommon in Japan. If people were more accepting of homosexuality Kanji wouldn't have had much reason to hid it, would he?

#30 Posted by CaptainObvious (2993 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
Care to elaborate? "
It's not that bad. My family is still alive after ER. Can't say the same about my neighbours though. "
I'm terrified. But I'm also excited that I have the most posts in the Yosuke forum with a total of 5! Take that!  :P "
Damn you JJWeatherman! I'LL BE BACK. 
#31 Posted by Computerplayer1 (991 posts) -
@honey_power said:
" I liked Yosuke a bit... before the school campout scene... when Kanji comes into his tent and Yosuke pretty much refuses to sleep in the same tent as him because he's afraid that Kanji will mess with him sexually when he's asleep. Did this scene leave a bad taste in anyone else's mouth? Also, not to mention, he packed swimsuits for Chie and Yukiko and then pretty much forced them to wear them. I'm really hoping that his character developes out of his immature chauvinistic and homophobic attitude.     "
Would you sleep in the same 8x8 space as someone you thought was gay when you were 13? lol. Being homophobic in his scenario is most likely due to his age, but also you should remember that it's taking place in Japan where homosexuality isn't exactly super popular (even less so than here in the west).

The character is great, and they did a good job to make him stir shit up with the player. I thought the same thing, but he was also like my best bud and it was always a bit dry without him around.
#32 Posted by honey_power (51 posts) -
@Computerplayer1 said:
" @honey_power said:
Would you sleep in the same 8x8 space as someone you thought was gay when you were 13? lol. Being homophobic in his scenario is most likely due to his age, but also you should remember that it's taking place in Japan where homosexuality isn't exactly super popular (even less so than here in the west).  The character is great, and they did a good job to make him stir shit up with the player. I thought the same thing, but he was also like my best bud and it was always a bit dry without him around. "
Probably not... but, I certainly wouldn't try to provoke him into rushing into someone else's tent.
#33 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" It's unfortunate, but Yosuke's attitude isn't uncommon in Japan. If people were more accepting of homosexuality Kanji wouldn't have had much reason to hid it, would he? "
That's not necessarily true.  Coming out to your friends and family can be difficult even if you believe they'll be accepting of you.  Especially because that's finally admitting to yourself that you're gay, and some people don't want to admit that.
#34 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

So he's a believable average male?

#35 Posted by AltonBrown (948 posts) -

He's a kid. Give him a break.

#36 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:

" @LordAndrew said:

" It's unfortunate, but Yosuke's attitude isn't uncommon in Japan. If people were more accepting of homosexuality Kanji wouldn't have had much reason to hid it, would he? "
That's not necessarily true.  Coming out to your friends and family can be difficult even if you believe they'll be accepting of you.  Especially because that's finally admitting to yourself that you're gay, and some people don't want to admit that. "
This isn't really relevant, since Kanji isn't really gay, just confused (this was elaborated on in another thread a few months ago, but I can't be bothered to go find it.).

Personally, Yosuke is my favorite character in the game (if not one of my favorite characters in a game). I would totally be bros with him. I don't see how he's a bigot, really. If he were really a bigot he wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near Kanji (based on the definition of bigot: "a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion."). Personally, I just think he likes giving him a hard time about it as a joke. If you notice, he likes to poke fun at most of the characters for their various shortcomings/mistakes, which if you payed attention at what his shadow had to say it's probably because he is pretty insecure.
#37 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@Gabriel said:
" So he's a believable average male? "
Not really...
#38 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -
@Computerplayer1 said:
" @honey_power said:
Would you sleep in the same 8x8 space as someone you thought was gay when you were 13? "

Dunno about the guy you quoted, but I would've fucking jumped at the chance. You shouldn't make assumptions about people's sexuality.

@EvilTwin
said:
" @LordAndrew said:
That's not necessarily true.  Coming out to your friends and family can be difficult even if you believe they'll be accepting of you.  Especially because that's finally admitting to yourself that you're gay, and some people don't want to admit that. "

Reading through this whole thread, it seems some people have a very skewed view on homosexuals. 

People can certainly have accepted that they're gay LONG before they come out. Sometimes, circumstances deny you the oppurtunity to come out even if you're perfectly fine with it. 

#39 Posted by Drebin_893 (2902 posts) -

I swear if you beat the game you'd know this?

#40 Posted by Six (611 posts) -

isn't part of Persona based on the concept that we all have shadows within us... a dark side that makes up a part of us, but doesn't define us entirely...?

#41 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

I know right, grow up Yosuke.

#42 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Yosuke is a whiny piece of shit. 

#43 Posted by Kajeet (2 posts) -

Yosuke has NEVER had any experience with homosexuality before, only heard about it. He's like maybe 16 at most and is still coming to terms with his sexuality. His response to homosexuality is in my opinion not all that terrible. I know people who are TRULY bigoted to homosexuals.  

Plus hes just teasing, Me and my friends do that all the time. question each others sexuality, punching each other, calling each other names. Its how he shows his affection, its not serious.

#44 Posted by Kajeet (2 posts) -
@honey_power said:
" @Computerplayer1 said:
" @honey_power said:
Would you sleep in the same 8x8 space as someone you thought was gay when you were 13? lol. Being homophobic in his scenario is most likely due to his age, but also you should remember that it's taking place in Japan where homosexuality isn't exactly super popular (even less so than here in the west).  The character is great, and they did a good job to make him stir shit up with the player. I thought the same thing, but he was also like my best bud and it was always a bit dry without him around. "
Probably not... but, I certainly wouldn't try to provoke him into rushing into someone else's tent. "

Really? That seems the type of thing I would expect friends to do "Bet you can't do XX" you know
#45 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

Yosuke? More like "you's gay"! Amirite?

#46 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3019 posts) -

Yosuke is always kind of a dick.  Probably related to feeling like such a loser compared to the MC.

#47 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@Elazul: Racial stereotype?What is he supposed to be anyway Japanese right?Aren't all the people Japanese? I mean they are in Japan but Yosuke doesn't look Japanese.How can it be racial if everyone is Japanese unless they aren't.
#48 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5103 posts) -

I like Yosuke.  I just took the homophobic thing as he is still a teen and hasn't had any experience with them.  Also Kanji is pretty intimidating.  

i find Yosuke waaaay better than Junpei.

#49 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I like Yosuke. I just took the homophobic thing as he is still a teen and hasn't had any experience with them. Also Kanji is pretty intimidating. i find Yosuke waaaay better than Junpei.

Junpei was just kind of...Boring, or at least that's what I thought.

#50 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I like Yosuke. I just took the homophobic thing as he is still a teen and hasn't had any experience with them. Also Kanji is pretty intimidating. i find Yosuke waaaay better than Junpei.

Junpei was just kind of...Boring, or at least that's what I thought.

Duder, Operation Babe Hunt. Best moment of that game, I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.