Have a Cookie: The Return of You Don't Know Jack!

• 59 results
Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
 Like this, but newer!
E3 is an event defined by its surprises, both big and small. Last night I was treated to a minor, but personally exciting revelation, courtesy of our podcast panel guest Mike Bilder, GM at Jellyvision. Now if the name Jellyvision doesn't mean anything to you, it's probably with good reason--though a prolific developer on the PC in the late 1990s, particularly with its irreverent pop-culture quiz series You Don't Know Jack, the Chicago-based company hasn't been terribly active in the decade since. 

But it sounds like that should be changing soon. At the start of last night's epic Day Two Bombcast we were treated to a personal message from Cookie Masterson--the most prolific of the various, but consistently snarky hosts of You Don't Know Jack--announcing that Jellyvision had reached a publishing deal with THQ, and that You Don't Know Jack is being resurrected. If, for some crazy reason, you've not heard last night's Bombcast yet, check it out here to hear the message for yourself.

I leaned on Bilder after the show for more details like platforms or release window, and though he was oddly impervious to my delicate charms, he did say that this was a traditional publishing deal, unrelated to THQ's recently announced Partners program, and to expect more details later this summer. Now in the grand scheme of this billion-dollar industry, this probably isn't such a big deal, but I'm personally very excited about this, and I still maintain that no one has managed to create as consistently an entertaining quiz-show-style video game as You Don't Know Jack.
Staff
#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
 Like this, but newer!
E3 is an event defined by its surprises, both big and small. Last night I was treated to a minor, but personally exciting revelation, courtesy of our podcast panel guest Mike Bilder, GM at Jellyvision. Now if the name Jellyvision doesn't mean anything to you, it's probably with good reason--though a prolific developer on the PC in the late 1990s, particularly with its irreverent pop-culture quiz series You Don't Know Jack, the Chicago-based company hasn't been terribly active in the decade since. 

But it sounds like that should be changing soon. At the start of last night's epic Day Two Bombcast we were treated to a personal message from Cookie Masterson--the most prolific of the various, but consistently snarky hosts of You Don't Know Jack--announcing that Jellyvision had reached a publishing deal with THQ, and that You Don't Know Jack is being resurrected. If, for some crazy reason, you've not heard last night's Bombcast yet, check it out here to hear the message for yourself.

I leaned on Bilder after the show for more details like platforms or release window, and though he was oddly impervious to my delicate charms, he did say that this was a traditional publishing deal, unrelated to THQ's recently announced Partners program, and to expect more details later this summer. Now in the grand scheme of this billion-dollar industry, this probably isn't such a big deal, but I'm personally very excited about this, and I still maintain that no one has managed to create as consistently an entertaining quiz-show-style video game as You Don't Know Jack.
Staff
#2 Posted by VoshiNova (1638 posts) -

Go Mike B.!

#3 Edited by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

OH FUCK!

#4 Posted by KillerBears (248 posts) -

This is the greatest thing ever. I had a nerdgasm when that got revealed last night. I still play YDKJ: The Ride with my friends sometimes, best writing in any quiz game.

#5 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

That is absolutely awesome.

#6 Posted by RobertOrri (1120 posts) -

Great news. I've been waiting for this game series to arrive on XBLA and/or PSN since the start of this console cycle - it's always felt like such a total no-brainer!

I hope it's digital download and not a retail package, though...

#7 Posted by fastkilr (98 posts) -

Looking forward to this. It's been too long.

#8 Posted by ExcessDebris (146 posts) -

i've been wanting this for a long time

#9 Posted by ChunkyB (31 posts) -

This freaking amazing. It would be awesome if they put it out on XBOX/PS3 with Scene It/Buzz controller support. 

I know they always work technically, but if they ordered answers so you could use them, that would be awesome. 

#10 Posted by TerraDelu (500 posts) -

So long as I can still type in curse words as the answers and have Cookie yell at me, I'm on board.

#11 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

Best of luck with relaunching this, would love to see it on XBLA or PSN.

#12 Posted by MeatSim (10761 posts) -

I will take a cookie.

#13 Posted by CyleMoore (492 posts) -

fantastic! 

#14 Posted by Dale (37 posts) -

I thought this franchise had died a slow death, after they stopped their online shows. Consider me pleased with this news.
#15 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

They already have my money

#16 Posted by WhiteHowler (15 posts) -

I'm not buying this unless it prominently features Question Four (The Question That Cares).

#17 Posted by Phished0ne (2480 posts) -

Hit 1 if you think YDKJ will come out for PS3, Hit 2 if you think YDKJ will come out for Xbox360 

or hit 4 if you think it will come out for... 

....both

#18 Posted by TaylorPollock (64 posts) -

It never should have left.  But the host makes or breaks it.  
Used to crowd around one keyboard with the included stickers on the keys for two players.  Hilarious and a challenge and enjoyable for those watching as well.
Love this game.  Finally it returns.

#19 Posted by PatrickO (13 posts) -

Bombshell News.. Totally can't wait.

#20 Posted by Hannibal (862 posts) -

YES Sir. Snigglyfish Trestion.

#21 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

Will I be able to screw people over the internet?!

#22 Posted by readymix (175 posts) -

yes. yes. and yes!!

#23 Posted by Sam_lfcfan (139 posts) -

His name Mike B. and he earns respect.
#24 Posted by TonyBlue87 (291 posts) -
@Phished0ne: I hit 3.  What happens now?
#25 Posted by Laez (2 posts) -

This is the single biggest E3 announce of the decade.  I have but one word: hurray!
#26 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I was a fan back in the day.

#27 Posted by Alphazero (1535 posts) -

Hearing that You Don't Know Jack voice makes me happy.

#28 Posted by scarycrayons (260 posts) -

I own all of YDKJ 1-6 as well as YDKJ UK... they really are entertaining games!  The Ride was my personal favourite just because you were guaranteed new questions every time you played, plus when the hosts changed it really felt like a whole new experience.

I would love to see a new 'The Ride' style game...  the games that followed it (5th Dementia, The Lost Gold) seemed to be a step backwards.

#29 Posted by megaplushie (202 posts) -

-takes cookie and noms on it-

This bombshell announcement is the best news of E3 '10 made better by breaking on the Giant Bombcast.

#30 Posted by SoyBob (161 posts) -
@Phished0ne said:
" Hit 1 if you think YDKJ will come out for PS3, Hit 2 if you think YDKJ will come out for Xbox360  or hit 4 if you think it will come out for...   ....both "
Goddammit, I hate boths.
#31 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5376 posts) -
@SoyBob said:
" @Phished0ne said:
" Hit 1 if you think YDKJ will come out for PS3, Hit 2 if you think YDKJ will come out for Xbox360  or hit 4 if you think it will come out for...   ....both "
Goddammit, I hate boths. "
4!
#32 Posted by TonicBH (268 posts) -

Hey THQ: If you put it on the 360 or something and make it support the Scene It! controllers, I'll buy a set just to play this game.

My mom and I used to be hardcore Jack fans, hell we got a lot of the games barring a couple, and I can't wait to play this again.

#33 Posted by Foil1212 (444 posts) -

EXCITEMENT!

#34 Posted by megalowho (959 posts) -

YDKJ was awesome, from the original boxed copy to the web version. This is great news and I can't wait for the game to make a proper return.

#35 Posted by Zomboy (4 posts) -

Can't wait. Hopefully there will be online multiplayer with voice chat.

#36 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Hopefully they`ll handle region-specific questions better than Buzz!.

#37 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

awesome cant wait to screw my competators again... It's been too long.
#38 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5376 posts) -

I never played any of these games, but it sounds like they are pretty cool from what everyone is saying. I'll be sure to check out the new one!

#39 Posted by spartan1017 (222 posts) -

saweet... remember the clue

#40 Posted by usedtype (97 posts) -
@Hannibal said:
" YES Sir. Snigglyfish Trestion. "
A fiddle nerd sold pee.
#41 Posted by papercut (3446 posts) -

i just made an excited school girl squeal 

#42 Posted by Ghost407 (166 posts) -

I used to love you don't know jack!

#43 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

Cool. I'd be down for some new Jack. See what I did there?

#44 Posted by ThievingJacob (45 posts) -

This would be great on any and all platforms. 

Here's hoping for a successful resurrection.

#45 Posted by roamunit (10 posts) -

So, so hyped about this. I loved the YDKJ games, and none of the trivia games on the market can really hold a candle to the writing in the series.

#46 Posted by ToyDoll (44 posts) -

never heard of the games but i'll have to try them out, seems pretty awesome!

#47 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

YES

#48 Edited by GozerTC (456 posts) -
  1. All I have to say is WHOO HOO! 

#49 Posted by dussssstin (43 posts) -

Best secret announcement of E3 2010.

#50 Posted by Yummylee (21243 posts) -

I haven't even met this Jack so of course I don't know him! T.T

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.