Yu Narukami is in a Square Enix game.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Hailinel (24292 posts) -

(In before a million terrible "Who's Yu Narukami?" jokes.)

So Square Enix has produced an expansion to a Japanese arcade game, Lord of Vermilion II, called Lord of Vermilion Re: 2. And Yu appears in the game:

Ziodynin' like a boss.

If you're wondering how this happened, Lord of Vermilion is actually home to a number of odd cameos from games ranging from Nier to BlazBlue. It's also somewhat fitting, as Square Enix published Persona 4 in Europe.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

It's worth mentioning that there will be other Persona 4 Arena characters as cameos in Lord of Vermillion II as well.

#3 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

Fuck, awesome. Nothing else to be said!

Maybe I should finally play LoV...

#4 Posted by ApeGantz (217 posts) -

What....

#5 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

I hope this isn't the "collaborative" project Hashino was referring to, because that'd be pretty underwhelming for me. I don't think it is because of the part that says that the announcement is "a ways off".

#6 Posted by Hailinel (24292 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

I hope this isn't the "collaborative" project Hashino was referring to, because that'd be pretty underwhelming for me. I don't think it is because of the part that says that the announcement is "a ways off".

He said that announcement was far off. This isn't it.

#7 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Hopefully they are collaborating with Hades/Satan/Mot/etc to channel the voice of Igor's departed voice actor, because the idea behind that shit is whack.

#8 Posted by Village_Guy (2543 posts) -

Who's Yu Narukami?

And no that is no joke, so shame on you, for assuming so :(

#9 Posted by Hailinel (24292 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

Who's Yu Narukami?

The protagonist of Persona 4 and a character in Persona 4 Arena.

#10 Posted by Village_Guy (2543 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Village_Guy said:

Who's Yu Narukami?

Oh, right. Well now I feel kinda stupid...

#11 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Seems neat. I know absolutely nothing about this game so time for reading.

#12 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Who would win in a fight between Yu Narukami and Kefka?

#13 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1238 posts) -

That's really cool!

#14 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@LordAndrew: Charlie Tunoku would walk in and murder them both.

#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10868 posts) -

Hey, Charlie's in there too!

NEVER LET THE DREAM DIE! NEVER!

#16 Posted by RWBladewing (117 posts) -

The character list for this game is pretty incredible. Would love to play it some day.

#17 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

@Hailinel said:

@Village_Guy said:

Who's Yu Narukami?

The game lets you rename the main character and, in the Persona 4 Endurance Run on this site, his name was Charlie Tunoku I believe.

#18 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Glad to see that Charlie keeps getting more work with his acting gig as "Yu Narukami".

#19 Posted by AndrewB (7568 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Glad to see that Charlie keeps getting more work with his acting gig as "Yu Narukami".

Yu is obviously Japanese for Charlie.

Also, why does Yu get all the attention? If you've ever finished Persona 3, you'd know how badass Minato is.

#20 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

@AndrewB: Pfft. That emo jesus isn't shit compared to swag Charlie Tunoku.

#21 Posted by Village_Guy (2543 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Village_Guy said:

@Hailinel said:

@Village_Guy said:

Who's Yu Narukami?

The game lets you rename the main character and, in the Persona 4 Endurance Run on this site, his name was Charlie Tunoku I believe.

I did know that, Vinny says he names his RPG characters after fish and Ryan yells that they should name him Charlie :)

I didn't know that they had a canonical name for him though, but now that's cleared up.

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Square (Enix): Appropriating competitor's mascots for their own games since 1987.

#23 Posted by adoggz (2062 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@Phatmac said:

Also, why does Yu get all the attention? If you've ever finished Persona 3, you'd know how badass Minato is.

Well, the persona 3 MC is totally dead so I'd imagine thats why.

#24 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

In the new Famitsu it shows that Elizabeth and Thanatos are in, as is Aigis, who uses...Messiah. Elizabeth's move is Megidolaon while Aigis' is EX Orgia Mode.

LoV's own take on Izanami is in there too, as an "Ultimate Rare" card. Man, I really gotta get into this thing.

#25 Posted by Hailinel (24292 posts) -

@Eirikr said:

In the new Famitsu it shows that Elizabeth and Thanatos are in, as is Aigis, who uses...Messiah. Elizabeth's move is Megidolaon while Aigis' is EX Orgia Mode.

LoV's own take on Izanami is in there too, as an "Ultimate Rare" card. Man, I really gotta get into this thing.

Man, what.

Also, I"m really curious to see the LoV version of Izanami.

#26 Posted by LOTR_Dan (63 posts) -

@adoggz said:

@AndrewB said:

@Phatmac said:

No! No he's not. He's still holding the seal that keeps humanity from killing itself. But Elizabeth is going to find a way to save him and he's going to live happily ever after with Yukari. Damnit.
#27 Posted by Gamer_152 (14066 posts) -

Well, this seems bizarre. Japanese games, right guys?

#28 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

@Hailinel: Here are the pages in question:

Aigis and Elizabeth reveal:

Close-up of Aigis and Messiah:

Izanami:

Standard, if not a little cutesy, but that's just how these goddesses seem to fall in the LoV design spectrum.

I was, however, reminded of this art of Izanami from a Japanese illustrated Shinto book I bought:

Is it just me, or does that art style remind you of the artist who does the covers for Koei's strategy series? I don't know that person's name! I don't think there's an entry for them here, I looked.

#29 Posted by Hailinel (24292 posts) -

@Eirikr: Ah. WIth all of this Persona 4 character talk, I half-wondered if it was a P4 incarnation of Izanami that had been included. Obviously, that was wrong.

But now that you mention it, that Izanami art from the Shinto book does resemble the art style of the Koei strategy game portraits. I don't know who does that art either, but I'd be interested in finding out.

#30 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Eirikr said:

Aigis, who uses...Messiah

uh

what

Hopefully that isn't a hint for things to come in future Persona games. 
#31 Edited by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

@mutha3: Yeah, no kidding!

Thankfully, I think a cameo appearance in a crossover game is hardly cause for canon concerns.

(dat alliteration)

#32 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Eirikr said:

@mutha3: Yeah, no kidding!

Thankfully, I think a cameo appearance in a crossover game is hardly cause for canon concerns.

Well, hopefully! This seems like one of those super-fanfictiony things that I can kinda see happen.

Especially after the introduction of stuff like the Shadow Operatives in P4A -- its really easy for the next Persona game to turn out super dumb(and not in a good way). I hope they manage pull it off.

I like her new design, at least! That....kinda helps.
#33 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

Well, hopefully! This seems like one of those super-fanfictiony things that I can kinda see happen. Especially after the introduction of stuff like the Shadow Operatives in P4A -- its really easy for the next Persona game to turn out super dumb(and not in a good way). I hope they manage pull it off.

Haha, I was just talking about this on another forum. The consensus was that the stupid fanfiction-y stuff will likely remain only in spin-offs, while the main numbered games will retain an individual character. Otherwise, I have my worries as well!

#35 Edited by Sinusoidal (1391 posts) -

I was totally baffled by this because I mixed up Lord of Vermilion - which I had never heard of - with Sword of Vermilion which I played the crap out of on Genesis back in the day.

#36 Posted by TheHT (11102 posts) -

Who would win in a fight between Yu Narukami and Kefka?

Goku.

#37 Posted by Mcfart (1599 posts) -

@adoggz said:

@AndrewB said:

@Phatmac said:

omg spoilerz

#38 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10868 posts) -

Locked because of necroing and his real name is Charlie. Okay, that second part was a joke, that wasn't why this was locked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.