Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zangeki no Reginleiv

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 11, 2010

A hack 'n' slash game with a large focus on co-op set in a world based on Norse mythology. Lopping-off heads and hacking-off arms is highly recommended for survival.

Nintendo Announce First Early 2010 Title For Wii

• 81 results
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Linkyshinks : I had a long response with the inappropriate examples (Monster Hunter which shows what I was saying as some of its bosses use the same model, animations, textures, as minion enemies, save for size and few differences like extra horns to make them look like leaders - mind you even the PC Monster Hunter Frontier doesn't have more things happening in the levels so if they're plain that's the game design, not what the system could handle) considered but since I found this, I don't have to write much other than simply that huge enemies are possible if the game designers want them. They have been used on far inferior systems the last decade without looking worse than the expected system's output. Here's the following game's dodgy official website, click the squares on the flash map for some dodgy quality footage. 2017 is its sequel, obviously.

Yeah, PS2, a system that was worse than even the GameCube, with awful amounts of memory even for its time (yet with beautiful games with rich and diverse texturing like FFXII that few devs do on Wii claiming its specs are at fault). On Wii they should be able to achieve far better results with ease, not just because of the better hardware but thanks to having more experience and better tools as things in these fields constantly improve.

Here are some old GAF impressions describing the gigantic bosses since good videos of the game are hard to find (the embedded videos above are probably the best and don't show any of the bigger enemies). Their spoilers are pretty entertaining (and it's not like we'll be getting this game any time soon). They do mention heavy frame rate issues but hey, they were low budget dodgy products as you said, they're hopefully adding the appropriate polish for a full price title here (and we've also outlined a few of the ways in which it could be even less demanding on the already much better hardware), as they at least seem to be doing that in terms of features given the online mode which even the 360 EDF game lacked.

It is possible to make this great, if they can manage to make it so is a different matter. Hopefully they can, because that stuff seem too awesome.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ryanwho
    @Willy105 said:
    " This has to stop. Nintendo is announcing games MONTHS now before release. Whatever happened to waiting a year?  Anyway, I wonder what it's about. "
    What happened was waiting a year is stupid because your game could have delays and Nintendo knows what the fuck they're doing. Meanwhile you can think about how much you wanna play the next new Blizzard or Square Enix game for the next 3 years.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By ZenaxPure

I am interested... in finding more out about the game. The fact that "holy shit there is blood" is not enough for me to be interested in the game. Just want some more info on the game mostly. Also the character faces look like garbage, like wtf.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ryanwho

Its a simple 2000 game. Which means you should expect what's right there on the surface. A cowboy anime girl fighting zombies, a dude running around shooting giant bugs and robots. And now, some fantasy dude running around slicing giant monster things. Set expectations accordingly.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#55  Edited By Meowayne
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " I am interested... in finding more out about the game. The fact that "holy shit there is blood" is not enough for me to be interested in the game. Just want some more info on the game mostly. Also the character faces look like garbage, like wtf. "
    MotionPlus. Sold?
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Meowayne said:
    " @Zenaxzd said:
    " I am interested... in finding more out about the game. The fact that "holy shit there is blood" is not enough for me to be interested in the game. Just want some more info on the game mostly. Also the character faces look like garbage, like wtf. "
    MotionPlus. Sold? "
    The lack of motion plus hasn't stopped me from enjoying games in the past *shrug*. It really does look interesting though just waiting for more info I guess.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#57  Edited By Hailinel
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    " @Zenaxzd said:
    MotionPlus. Sold? "
    The lack of motion plus hasn't stopped me from enjoying games in the past *shrug*. It really does look interesting though just waiting for more info I guess. "
    True enough.  A game doesn't need Motion Plus support to be done well.  Whether the game actually has been done well is another story, but the aesthetic and gameplay style of Reginleiv have me interested enough to hope for a domestic release.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By Willy105

I am more concerned on if this game will be localized. There are 3 games in this series that I know of, one of them is Japan only, the sequel is Japan only and got a very small release in Europe, and the 360 game everywhere. This is also a Nintendo game, which is infamous for never localizing a lot of games that they make. There are also three M-rated type games made by Nintendo for Wii that did not get localized here, like Disaster (a game with guns and terrorists), Fatal Frame 4 (a horror game), and Captain Rainbow (guess).

@ryanwho said:

" @Willy105 said:

" This has to stop. Nintendo is announcing games MONTHS now before release. Whatever happened to waiting a year?  Anyway, I wonder what it's about. "
    What happened was waiting a year is stupid because your game could have delays and Nintendo knows what the fuck they're doing. Meanwhile you can think about how much you wanna play the next new Blizzard or Square Enix game for the next 3 years. "
    Waiting sucks, but at least you can plan out your purchases. Especially when you have to decide between one game or another. It also helps in console publicity.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59  Edited By Evilsbane

Maybe I am in the minority here but...that game looks lame as hell, graphics looks Meh especially the faces I mean Ouch, and the gameplay looks like  Ninety-Nine Nights with "waggle"  and the neon coloring book looking slashes the Insane amount of speech bubbles on the screen and the interface looks like something for the 80s I think ill pass.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Evilsbane said:

" Maybe I am in the minority here but...that game looks lame as hell, graphics looks Meh especially the faces I mean Ouch, and the gameplay looks like  Ninety-Nine Nights with "waggle"  and the neon coloring book looking slashes the Insane amount of speech bubbles on the screen and the interface looks like something for the 80s I think ill pass.
    "

I definitely agree about the faces and presentation.  As far as the faces are concerned, they're not really seen as much, I know it's no excuse of course, but that does lessen the ill appeal.  I think they've let down the game badly with very poor the presentation values, I mean, what's the point of having copious amounts of gore when you kiddy it up with neon bright colours all over the place elsewhere?. Sandlot are clueless, but they can make a fun game, as the past has proved, sadly with this game the 80's presentation will put many off.

Sin and Punishment 2 has weak facial design also, it's a shame because I've always loved their character design in their past games. I should say everything else looks awesome though, and the game is a good one. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Al3xand3r

All the recent updates together for easier viewing on this last page:

Official Japanese website with images showing the online lobby among other things. Trailer on the front page. Not much else.

The new trailer in YouTube form (taken from the Japanese Nintendo Channel so it's low quality):

The game specific part of the last footage from the other thread:

Some stuff from Japanese websites like this, it's all media we've seen before (most are from the videos and the website in fact) but not in this size. Google translate doesn't enlighten me much, it probably just has the bare basic information. Sandlot, Nintendo, motion plus, 4 player online, 300 weapons, different style per character, etc. Only now I realised that thing in the 5th shot is some kind of monstrous elephant-like creature...

Famitsu scans:

The Japanese preorder bonus is the soundtrack CD, confirming the composer is Masafumi Takada of Killer7 and No More Heroes fame.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Al3xand3r
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By JJOR64

Some one on a slow internet connection is going to try to load this page, but there computer is just going to blow up.

On Topic:  It looks solid.  I'm still kinda interested in it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Meowayne

I'm seven hours in now, and it has quickly claimed a top spot in my all-time favourite Wii games list. 

In fact, it has successfully kept me from continuing Assassin's Creed 2 in the last few days.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65  Edited By Willy105

This game should be getting a localization announced on their February Summit.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Meowayne

It really should, but it probably won't. 

No reviewer will be able to justify giving this game a rating higher than 7 and Nintendo probably knows it. Plus its pretty heavy on voice work, plus its based on norse mythology with a japanese influence, plus the main characters do not lend themselves AT ALL for a NA/EU audience, plus the online would probably require a lot of work.

If its not announced at the media summit, it probably won't see western shores at all. A shame.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By rallier
    @Meowayne said:
    " I'm seven hours in now, and it has quickly claimed a top spot in my all-time favourite Wii games list.   In fact, it has successfully kept me from continuing Assassin's Creed 2 in the last few days. "
    Which mission are you at?
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68  Edited By demontium

Waiting for reviews...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Meowayne

I have finished mission 23 with Freya today. The spirit bow is so ridiculously overpowered, its not even funny anymore.

Epic 3fps slowdowns in stage 22. (the cave where you first encounter the red spiderscorprionthings)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Meowayne
    @demontium said:
    " Waiting for reviews... "
    Reviews will be in the 65-75 range because the game is unfinished and messy. Everyone I know who has played it loves it, but everyone also agrees that reviewers will not (can not) be friendly towards this game.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#71  Edited By demontium
    @Meowayne said:
    " @demontium said:
    " Waiting for reviews... "
    Reviews will be in the 65-75 range because the game is unfinished and messy. Everyone I know who has played it loves it, but everyone also agrees that reviewers will not (can not) be friendly towards this game. "
    Hopefully Matt C. will review it @ IGN! 

He understands the Wii potential really well.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Meowayne

No, no. Even I wouldn't be able to justify rating it 8 or higher. The game is glitchy and features the worst framerate ditches since... forever. In fact I don't think I have ever seen a high profile console release with so severe framerate drops. We're talking frequent 5fps here.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By rallier

Epic slowdown happen every now and then unfortunately. I'm not sure if you have already done the bridge level but that section is 15 minutes of counting frames on one hand. I have been playing mostly as Frey when possible, most of Freyas rods suck up her mana and it is quite annoying to fill it up with the sword every time. At one point i did get a rod with a long distance attack that refilled it that has been very handy for some time now but against the bigger enemies it is a bit useless. 

I'm 21 hours in by the way. The game is way longer then I expected it to be and some pretty eventful things happen in the story. Shame that i can only make out some of the word because it seems to be rather interesting.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Al3xand3r

You guys are having the same kind of conversation in two threads :P

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Meowayne

Agreed, the story seems VERY interesting, and the long, well staged and performed cutscenes (motion captured) don't really make not understanding a word easier. 

I have seen the bridge level, but the worst for me was stage 22, the battle against the spiders in the room with the scaffolding, and the battle against the red spiders on the bridge over the lava. Those were really slideshows. It never gets unplayable, but I do wonder just how much better and more awesome this could have been if the scale of the battle wasn't antiproportional to the framerate.

I have come to like playing as Freya more, as Mana consumption and management add more content to the battles.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By rallier

I did not have any problems at that lave bridge section framerate wise. I did fall in the lave pit though, 4 times...  It does not hurt you but it was absolute hell to get back up to the bridge because the game would lock to the enemies still on the bridge limiting my view to directly above me. The auto lock camera can be a real pain sometimes...  

What is mostly keeping me from playing as Freya is that all the weapon info is in Japanese and that it becomes really hard to set up an effective trio of weapons  with all the new weapons you get all the time. Whereas Frey's weapons are a bit more straight forward and easier to sort out.  Light Sword + Explosive Arrows = LOVE

@Al3xand3r: We are being effective conversationalists.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Meowayne

You can turn off auto lock-on in the menu at any time?

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By rallier
    @Meowayne: Don't think so unfortunately.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Meowayne
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By rallier

Wha-what..????

Definitly turning that thing off the next time I boot that game up. 

Wow if i had known that before that would have saved me such a headache in some levels.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Meowayne

You can also turn it off temporarily/manually by pressing the 1-button..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.