Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zangeki no Reginleiv

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 11, 2010

A hack 'n' slash game with a large focus on co-op set in a world based on Norse mythology. Lopping-off heads and hacking-off arms is highly recommended for survival.

Zangeki No Reginleiv Media & Updates

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

A few new trailers have been shown, finally busting the on-rails gameplay myth foolishly started by 1UP. You can clearly move around at will, and the enemies are huge and many. Some of them are available in better quality on the game's website, some lower quality embeds are below.

New, extended trailer:

Comparison trailer:
    The official website has been updated with other new content, includingcut scene footage and art that showcase some of the characters. There are a few bosses displayed, some absurdely huge (airship!) and awesome (dragon!), and this page has weapon showcases among other media.
    In another unexpected move, Nintendo is providing the Japanese audience with disc demos of this game via certain Japanese store chains, so we have some real gameplay footage in subsequent comments. This is either a big title for Nintendo, or really experimental.

Basic information for newcomers:
    Zangeki No Reginleiv is a title developed by Sandlot and published by Nintendo. Sandlot are the developers of the Earth Defense Force titles. This appears to have similar gameplay, as seen on PlayStation 2 and 360, with a fantasy setting instead of sci-fi. There seems to be a heavier focus on story telling, and it includes 4-player online cooperative gameplay. Over 300 melee and ranged weapons will be wielded with multiple control schemes including motion plus powered slashing, classic controller support, and of course standard remote controls. The crowds of oversized enemies and gigantic bosses that you fight tend to die in spectacular dismemberment fashion.

The Japanese preorder bonus is the soundtrack CD, confirming the composer is Masafumi Takada of Killer7 and No More Heroes fame.
    The game's rated CERO D in Japan. Games with rating C (roughly 15+), D (roughly 17+), or Z (roughly 18+), will now get black cases.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By rallier

O wow... that new trailer is awesome. Loved the part where the character was being charged by all those blue guys.

Still not liking the blue line tthat you get when not playing with the M+ unit.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Is it me or does this remind you of EDF?

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rallier
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " Is it me or does this remind you of EDF? "
    Same dev.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By ZenaxPure

What the, I don't read/speak Japanese but I can only imagine it was comparing the size of the monsters to real life objects in the top video? Because if it was anything else I am totally lost. Still looks pretty cool but seemed to be some crazy frame rate drops in that trailer, that doesn't turn me off to a game or anything but seems weird to have in a trailer.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Rallier said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" Is it me or does this remind you of EDF? "

Same dev. "
    Ie, read some, don't just view the pics/vids :-P

And yes Zenaxzd, that's what they did (hence the numbers with m next to them, that's how many metres high they are) I believe. As for the frame rate drops, that's standard Sandlot fare sadly, regardless of the game discussed or the systerm it's on. The 360 EDF game has such issues too, but it's kind of understandable given how many enemies they like throwing at players. Hopefully it doesn't get too bad though.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Al3xand3r: 
    Ah.  Who's got time to read when there's crazy Japanese ads to watch?! :p
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By DukeTogo

While I've loved Sandlot games since Remote Control Dandy, it's pretty clear they know how to make one kind of game, since every title IS the same game with minor differences in scale and control.  I'd sure love to see them get a deal with a publisher and make a current-gen Gigantic Drive.

This looks alright, but since the Wii Freeloader doesn't work, importing isn't an option.  If Nintendo isn't bringing Disaster: Day of Crisis here, they sure as Hell aren't bringing this over.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ThomasP

Hopefully it makes its way to North America.

jj984jj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jj984jj
    @Al3xand3r said:

" I'm sure it will be localised but playing imports is a breeze with homebrew. It has nothing in common with Disaster (which we still got in Europe). It seems like a game made more for the Western audience. No Godzillas as in EDF. Fantasy. Online co-op. Japan isn't big on online gaming, right? "

What in the world are you talking about? MH3 sold nearly 1 million copies in Japan. This title is being targeted completely toward them. The fantasy setting is way less appealing to western audiences than EDF. NoA also passed on the recently localized Another Code R and ignored Takt of Magic despite it being a RTS, I definitely would not assume that this has a high chance of being released here.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rallier
    @jj984jj: I think there is a change for it to hit the US at some point since it supports M+, it would be in Nintendo's best interest to push as many games that use it but perhaps they'll wait for M+ sales to slow down a bit and use this game to give it a new impulse. Plus it a action game with blood in it.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, one online game of a gigantic franchise sold good in Japan, you so proved my assumptions wrong! While being a dick to boot.

...MHTri sold less (half as good?) than the portable games which don't have online play showing that's not the reason gamers there buy those games (and it's the local multiplayer that got the franchise so popular on PSP, way beyond the previous online enabled PS2 games).

It also has nothing in common with Another Code: R and Takt of Magic (one of which still got a release in Europe). You seem to think NoA don't care to localise games by default. The only thing that factors in that is the sales potential versus localisation cost. Disaster was a niche game (and was nowhere near Nintendo-quality either), which bombed wherever it was released, so it seems they were right not to bother publishing it. Takt of Magic failed to attract much of an audience in Japan. I'd love to try it out, but shit happens, I doubt it would sell much as it was far from a traditional RTS.

On the other hand, Sin & Punishment 2, while flopping in Japan, is set for Western release because it likely will sell more there (here), even though it'll never become a runaway hit, as it'll probably justify its release and (likely tiny, given the little story) cost. The same could apply to this. I didn't say it won't appeal to Japan at all, but it certainly has elements that could appeal to the Western market. Not enough to make it a hit perhaps (you claim EDF games are more geared to the West, yet those sold mediocrely at budget prices, and this is a full price title) but likely enough to justify it again.

Anyway, it's my opinion. The blood probably also adds to my thinking it's more for the West, even MH with its monster slaying doesn't have so much. Also, online/co-op is all the rage around here with many of the top games incorporating that one way or another. And the Fantasy while anime-ish has colors, settings, stylings and stuff that aren't far from Western type fantasy. It's more Oblivion than Final Fantasy despite the anime faces etc.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @Al3xand3r: The thing is, several very promising Wii and DS titles still haven't made it to the U.S. because NOA chose not to release them over here.  Disaster:  Day of Crisis was one, as was Another Code: R, but then there have been titles like Soma Bringer on the DS, as well as the cockblocking of Fatal Frame IV.  Reginleiv isn't a guaranteed release.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

I didn't say it's guaranteed, I'm just confident it will be, at least in Europe. It's certainly not guaranteed it won't be localised either, why talk as if it is? Anyway, I've already discussed past titles that didn't get localised and I see nothing in common with this game to call them up as precedent. Might as well say, hey, New Super Mario Bros Wii got localised, so this is bound to be too. They're just as unrelated to Reginleiv in pretty much every way. Maybe it's better to discuss what we're actually seeing than speculate if it will or won't be localised based on other games with different conditions.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

Some decent quality user footage from the (seemingly meaty) Japanese demo. Fantasy Nordic Defense Force go!

The game looks good judging mostly by the other media, despite some crude aspects in these clips (like the very sudden disappearance of debris, cut body parts and bodies, it should fade instead at least), and both ranged and melee mechanics seem engaging, far from just point and shoot (though it probably also has that among the over 300 weapons). Hopefully this is only the first bunch of many user videos, with better quality.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rallier

Ok i'm conviced that this game will be fun now. Looking foreward to playing this with 3 of my friends.

Hope that they polish it up somewhat though. The instantly disappearing debris and body parts do indeed look crude and the foreward dash seems like it is missing its animation. 

Also did the blue guy who i presume is Thor say "hamburger" at the 2 min 16 mark in the third video?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

I've added most of the recent updates in the first post and replaced the user videos in the comment two posts above with better quality footage. YouTube has many videos but most show the same things or are of horrible image quality. If any good quality full playthroughs show I'll add them. The boss introductions on the characters page linked in the first post really should be watched, especially the airship and the monster before that.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rallier

Looks like the sadist in me will be pleased with this game.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

Wallpaper from the website, up to 1920x1200:

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By oldschool

The game got a very average Famitsu score - 28/40.  That isn't all that promising.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rallier
    @oldschool: I was quite disappointed to see that score myself, wonder what the actual review said. Well I'm sure that it will be some good fun in multiplayer anyway.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Meowayne

Don't care for two reasons.

1. Its Famitsu. 
    2. MotionPlus.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

All Sandlot games are rated average, but all have something that, if it clicks with you, it keeps you playing. For mindless action titles, they're unique.

And the Famitsu score wasn't so bad. 8/7/7 and a 6 from the final reviewer. So yeah, as a total it sounds worse than it is. 3 liked it 1 didn't so much.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By xyzygy

That is one kickass bow in the video! 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Meowayne

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Meowayne
    @xyzygy said:

" That is one kickass bow in the video!  "

The bows are ridiculously overpowered and crazy in this game. You can take down a dozen enemies with one shot of one of the first bows you get. 

Here's some of the more important stuff for the import-friendly people:

Basic Controls (With Motionplus - don't know if regular is any different).

Pointer: Melee (Swing/Thrust) and Ranged (Point/Draw)
    Analogue stick: Move/Turn (Control mode 1)/Strafe (Control modes 2 & 3)
    Shake Nunchuck: Dash in direction shaken
    A & B: Fire ranged weapons. With bows, hold both and pull remote back to draw, release one to fire.
    C Button: Hold to strafe (Control mode 1 only). Tap to jump.
    Z Button: Hold to block (Sword/Greatsword/Hammer Only)
    ( ) Button: Cycle Weapons
    (-) Button: Open in-game menu.
    (1) Button: Reset/lock camera Y-axis
    (2) Button: (?)
    D-Pad: (?)

Note: For horizontal menus, options are given from left to right. The blue button in the top-right of some menus is 'back' and is ignored.

Asterisks (*) denote an option that takes you to another translated menu in this list.

[In-game menu]

Restart (Yes/No)
    Exit (Yes/No)
    Options*
    Back

[Title Screen]

Tutorial Videos
    Singleplayer* (New Game/Load Game/Back)
    Multiplayer
    Quit (Yes/No)

[Singleplayer]

Level Select*
    Change/Equip Character*
    Level Up*
    Purchase Weapons*
    Save
    Options*

[Level Up]

Level Up Frey (20hp per upgrade)
    Level Up Freya (10hp per upgrade)

[Change/Equip Character]

Switch Character (Frey/Freya)
    Select Weapon 1
    Select Weapon 2
    Select Weapon 3 (Freya only)

[Weapon Select - Frey]

Swords
    Greatswords
    Spears
    Hammers
    Bows

[Weapon Select - Freya]

Swords
    Greatswords
    Spears
    Bows
    Wands (Shot)
    Wands (Beam)
    Wands (Charge)
    Wands (Spread)

[Purchase Weapons]

Self-explanatory. Z to zoom in/out.
    Blue weapons = Frey
    Pink weapons = Freya

[Level Select Screen]

(On map, Z to zoom in/out, select level with A)
    Back
    Start Level
    Difficulty (Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Inferno)

[Options]

Control Mode (Beginner, Pointer-Turning, Pointer-Turning w/Vertical)
    Camera Distance (Normal/Wide/Close)
    Turning Sensitivity (Variable - 0.5 Default)
    Turning Pointer Mode (
    Set Camera Time After Attack (Variable - 1.5 Default)
    B Button Attack Lock (On/Off)
    Attack Order Camera Adjustment (On/Off)
    MotionPlus Sensitivity (Variable - 0.20 Default)
    Test/Calibrate MotionPlus
    Screen Shaking (Variable - 100 Default)
    Cutscene Skip (On/Off)
    Background Music Volume (Variable - 40 Default)
    Sound Effects Volume (Variable - 30 Default)
    Voice Volume (Variable - 100 Default)
    Movie Volume (Variable - 100 Default
    Pointer Assist (On/Off)
    Reset to Defaults

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rallier
    @Meowayne: That bow consumes "manna" though so you can only do that a couple of times before you can't use it any more. You can refill the mana gauge by attacking enemies with the melee weapon. The girl  has way weaker melee weapons compared to the guy but her range weaponry is superior to his. It makes playing as on or the other quite a different experience. The guy can also uses bows but those do not use mana and are more single hit high damage types. 

It is a shame that there is no "keep framerate stable option".

I'll give that camera option a go, sometimes the camera is so close that you can't even see what is going on.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Meowayne

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Meowayne

Online experience with an imported copy: Nearly unusable. :)

The game uses a lobby system and you can either join any given game from the lobby selection screen (there are always 30 lobbies available); if you join a random lobby, chances are its a japanese hosted game and you will get disconnected instantly in 99% of cases. 
    OR you can make rooms yourself or join friend's rooms. I tried playing with two registered friends, one from Canada and one from Isreal. In one out of three games, one or more of us got disconnected.

Once we got a game running, however, it ran well and was a lot of fun. Four demigods slaying hordes of towering monsters with swords and bows = awesome. All players lining up with their bows to await the next wave of creatures = awesome. 

However, even working games take at least 2-3 minutes to load. Yes, huge loading times for online play. 

You cannot import your character, money or weapons from the campaign; your online character is seperate from your offline character. The levels are also different from the campaign levels, though I have not seen many. 

Have not tried playing only with people from the same continent, performance might or might not be better, I doubt it though.  

So online play is pretty much out for owners of NTSC-J copies. :)

And Nintendo's decision not to have any kind of non-game specific friend- and messaging system seems more primitive than ever. What were they thinking?
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rallier
    @Meowayne: Ha so that was not my connection acting up when trying to join a room. I'm sure that there must be a way to play the campaign missions on-line, those missions seem to be designed for 4 players. 

You might be on about something else but there is some sort of chat with pre-made phrases that you can use in the lobbies by pressing right on the D-pad, it looks rather well organized in categories. Shame that it is in Japanese though... well at least i know how to spam "OK" in the chat.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Meowayne

Nothing better than to communicate exclusively with the "OK", "!", "?" and "?!" commands in online matches. :D

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Meowayne
    @Meowayne said:
    " So online play is pretty much out for owners of NTSC-J copies. :) "
    Scratch that! With Hermes CIOS 223 v5 and uLoader, the WiFi mode works! Yay!
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rallier
    @Meowayne: update time

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.