Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jan 14, 1987

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is the second entry in the ground-breaking Zelda franchise. This controversial follow-up ditches the original's top-down perspective for 2D side-scrolling exploration and combat. The 2D towns, dungeons and combat arenas are tied together by a top-down overworld.

Would you want to play a new Zelda game in the vein of Zelda II?

• 59 results
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Poll Would you want to play a new Zelda game in the vein of Zelda II? (131 votes)

Yes! 56%
    No! 33%
    See Results! 11%

I just spent the past few hours watching a longplay of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (suck it, Golden Globes), and while the game certainly has its issues (Obscure pathways, obtuse, Castlevania II-style puzzles and hidden items), it's at least a little surprising to me that Nintendo never tried revisiting this particular style of Zelda game after their first attempt. The mix of overworld exploration, side-scrolling towns, dungeons and combat, an RPG-style experience system and the traditional manner of item gathering is actually a really cool mix that, if it were done today with more polish, it could be a fantastic game. So given that they had success revisiting A Link to the Past with A Link Between Worlds, would you be interested in playing a new Zelda II?

• 
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Not really.
    Not really.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Why not? I've always preferred the ALttP style of 2D Zelda, but Nintendo could do some really interesting things with a Zelda II style.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hatking

Yeah, I think you're right, done today with more polish and the lessons learned from other modern 2D outings, I think it could be something special.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I would be very interested in seeing them take another crack at it.

Nothing wrong with switching things up a bit.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Steadying

I mean, I'd definitely like a Zelda game with a lot more RPG stuff in it, but I don't really think I'd be into one that was mostly side scrolling. I'd be cool with neat little side scrolling parts, though, like in Link's Awakening. (A game which I just spent the last few hours watching watching an LP of :P).

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I'd definitely like a Zelda game with a lot more RPG stuff in it, but I don't really think I'd be into one that was mostly side scrolling. I'd be cool with neat little side scrolling parts, though, like in Link's Awakening. (A game which I just spent the last few watching watching an LP of :P).

This is pretty much how I feel. I definitely think Zelda would benefit from more RPG elements, but I'm not sure how I would feel about the side scrolling parts.

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Uppercaseccc

Yes because it would not be a puzzle game, and if you ask me it's the puzzle game nature of Zelda that holds it back for me.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Maybe.

I could never tell if I was just complete garbage at the game, or if it just gets wicked hard after like the first temple, because I think there was some cave shortly after beating the first temple that just completely destroyed me every time.

So as long as it was properly modernized (Link Between Worlds style), and gave you a wee bit more guidance than in the NES days, I'd give it a shot.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a modernized version released for the 3DS could be super cool. I still have fond memories of the original.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

even the combat of zelda 2 was interesting. RPG elements, new game plus on a NES game was pretty mind blowing at the time.

I'm starting to think of the Zelda series is just weird experimental series where anything can change on the next game.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By nightriff

No

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Zelda II is such a weird, one-off experiment that I'd really be interested in seeing what the Nintendo of today would do with a game like it. Probably tell you to take a break every 30 minutes...

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bane122

Hell yeah, I love Zelda 2.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Why not?

@afabs515 said:

@steadyingmeat said:

I mean, I'd definitely like a Zelda game with a lot more RPG stuff in it, but I don't really think I'd be into one that was mostly side scrolling. I'd be cool with neat little side scrolling parts, though, like in Link's Awakening. (A game which I just spent the last few watching watching an LP of :P).

This is pretty much how I feel. I definitely think Zelda would benefit from more RPG elements, but I'm not sure how I would feel about the side scrolling parts.

I think part of the reason I like the sidescrolling is that in some ways, it makes the game feel like a proto-Valkyrie Profile with the way exploration is handled. A modern Zelda with that sort of style could be really cool.

Rabidlamb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would really like to see a sequel to a Link between worlds where the 2d on walls part had similar gameplay to zelda 2. That way you get a good mix of both.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. That Adventure Time game was pretty fun.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I hate this style so damn much.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Probably tell you to take a break every 30 minutes...

Maybe they'd make it a Majora's Mask spin-off where you can only progress through the game in thirty minute intervals that constantly repeat themselves.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yes because it would not be a puzzle game, and if you ask me it's the puzzle game nature of Zelda that holds it back for me.

what else is there to zelda?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@techhits said:

@uppercaseccc said:

what else is there to zelda?

Exploration, combat, story, all generally presented in different amounts depending on the game in question.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'd play a Zelda Metroidvania. Dunno if that's exactly in line with the way Zelda 2 played, but it sounds like you could still have towns, an overworld, levelling up, along Metroidvania-esque-like dungeons.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Zelda II is my favorite 2D Zelda, so yes.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

I'd play a Zelda Metroidvania. Dunno if that's exactly in line with the way Zelda 2 played, but it sounds like you could still have towns, an overworld, levelling up, along Metroidvania-esque-like dungeons.

It's a little like that. Zelda II doesn't actually require you to revisit dungeons, but there's definitely a sort of back-and-forth to the exploration and the way certain paths are closed off until you have the right item for the job.

@taku128 said:

Zelda II is my favorite 2D Zelda, so yes.

This impresses me, actually, because I can't recall a time when anyone else I know of has said that.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By tread311

I would find it pretty interesting if they took another shot at it. That game has some charm that still holds up.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never really liked Zelda II but I think they could bring some interesting new ideas to the format.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Yes, but really, I just want more 2D Zelda games, it's been a long time since Minish Cap ;__;

Also, I think Zelda II really gets a bad wrap. I really enjoyed it once I started using save states.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Yes. That is all I've ever wanted out of the Zelda series

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Sure. Together with the original it was one of the two Zelda's I played a lot growing up and I've thought about what a remake (or something like that) would look like many times. It's tough though because I'd want them to do something to enhance the combat, add some variety, yet its mechanics are so simple and pure that it's hard to imagine them adding anything without having to also greatly change the pace of how it is played.

Should they add a shield button so that actively defending could have a bigger role? A second row that you and enemies can move between in the 2d sections? Different weapons?

Things I really like about Zelda II is stuff like the spells system, where you had a limited, but farm recoverable, pool of magic that you had to manage so you had enough for stuff like the "Jump" spell that made platforming easier, "Shield" spell for tough sections with strong or plenty of enemies, and the all important, but costly, "Life" spell. There's just something about being given a set of tools and using them to find your own way.

Lives could certainly stand to go, unless you were given a set number of "retries" upon entering a section (like a dungeon or the series of caves that make up Death Mountain) and when you ran out you would only end up at the sections entrance, though even that'd probably be too harsh by Nintendo's current standards. I'd still like it though, ha ha.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure. Together with the original it was one of the two Zelda's I played a lot growing up and I've thought about what a remake (or something like that) would look like many times. It's tough though because I'd want them to do something to enhance the combat, add some variety, yet its mechanics are so simple and pure that it's hard to imagine them adding anything without having to also greatly change the pace of how it is played.

Should they add a shield button so that actively defending could have a bigger role? A second row that you and enemies can move between in the 2d sections? Different weapons?

Things I really like about Zelda II is stuff like the spells system, where you had a limited, but farm recoverable, pool of magic that you had to manage so you had enough for stuff like the "Jump" spell that made platforming easier, "Shield" spell for tough sections with strong or plenty of enemies, and the all important, but costly, "Life" spell. There's just something about being given a set of tools and using them to find your own way.

Lives could certainly stand to go, unless you were given a set number of "retries" upon entering a section (like a dungeon or the series of caves that make up Death Mountain) and when you ran out you would only end up at the sections entrance, though even that'd probably be too harsh by Nintendo's current standards. I'd still like it though, ha ha.

It's really interesting to think about, because after nearly twenty-five years, there are so many ways that they could improve on the concept without fundamentally altering the core structure. More buttons on the controller allow for more actions, which could do a lot to enhance the combat. Also, whether such a game was made for the 3DS or Wii U, the second screen would be perfect for a map display. The maps wouldn't even need to be strictly one 2D plane, either. They could go for layers within a single plane, or perhaps town/dungeon layouts that have multiple layers to them, akin to Valkyrie Profile. And like you said, the magic system allowed for plenty of diversity in approaching obstacles while forcing the player to not rely on it too much.

I also agree that lives really don't need to be in such a game. They obviously added that extra bit of stress and challenge to Zelda II, but there are definitely ways to hinder the player for dying that are at least somewhat more forgiving (though you're right in that modern Nintendo would probably err on the side of taking it easy on the player).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a lot of people kinda want zelda to be something it isn't, and there really aren't that many games out there that does what Zelda does so why take away what is unique to it?

i wouldn't mind SOME changeups ala ALBW, but to try to turn it into an also-ran RPG would just be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. ALBW showed you can keep the traditional Zelda framework and add some truly unique mechanics to it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a lot of people kinda want zelda to be something it isn't, and there really aren't that many games out there that does what Zelda does so why take away what is unique to it?

i wouldn't mind SOME changeups ala ALBW, but to try to turn it into an also-ran RPG would just be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. ALBW showed you can keep the traditional Zelda framework and add some truly unique mechanics to it.

That's the thing, though. Zelda II isn't "something Zelda isn't." It's history and a part of the series, just as much as A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zeik

It's the only Zelda I flat out do not like, so not really. Maybe they could take the core concepts and make a better game now, but I don't think I'd enjoy it beyond a one-off thing.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be a good idea. Lose the tendency toward having reams of boring expository dialog that has infected the series. I like Zelda II a lot. It's one of the first games I ever finished and probably the third best Zelda game in existence.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By EuanDewar

id love to see a Zelda done like Dark Souls/Demon's Souls. To me the Souls series is in many ways a different manifestation of the same principles that drive the Zelda series. I dunno, just shootin the shit really. i dont really play zelda games that often so i realise im pretty much just saying "make zelda so its like this other game i love" but its all a bit a fun innit

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, nintendo has an interesting philosophy when it comes to making each game unique. You don't see 2 mario spin off games identical, which why I wonder, at what point would making Zelda 2 into metroid or castlevania? Because those are the two biggest influential 2d games out there and it's been close to 25 years since Zelda 2 don't know how to imagine what Zelda 2 might look like. Maybe Order of Ecclesia? Because that had a better combat system with more difficult bosses. But using more magic in zelda games sounds a nice change of pace.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Nope. Never been a fan of Zelda.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sinusoidal

I hated Zelda 2 mostly because it wasn't more Zelda 1, but the format definitely has potential.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

if it had a more generous save system than yeah I probably would. When I think about it that was the only thing that really turned me off the game. I hated having to remake that incredibly long run to end of the game everytime I messed up on the final boss.

Definitely prefer my Zeldas top-down though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

if it had a more generous save system than yeah I probably would. When I think about it that was the only thing that really turned me off the game. I hated having to remake that incredibly long run to end of the game everytime I messed up on the final boss.

Just the act of giving the game a more generous save system would go a long way toward improving the formula. It's easily one of the most punishing things about the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Zelda II a lot. I would say I probably have more fond memories of that one than I do the original. However, I'm not sure I would like to see the series go that route again. I think it had a lot of cool things going for it that I would like to see implemented here or there in future games, but I don't really have a desire to see Zelda become more of an RPG type of game.

Random aside: I think the side-scrolling sections of Link's Awakening were pretty cool.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Slag
    @hailinel said:
    @slag said:

Just the act of giving the game a more generous save system would go a long way toward improving the formula. It's easily one of the most punishing things about the game.

Definitely.

and it doesn't really add anything positive to the experience other than being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Games Like Rogue Legacy and Dark Souls have demonstrated much better ways to handle being challenging while not making players endlessly repeat long sections of the game for no benefit other than a faint hope of making it to the next rare save opportunity. My gaming time is limited these days, I have little desire to make the same 45 minute platforming run over and over just for a shot at a boss.

My evidence-less speculation is the save system was function of NES hardware memory limitations and game design theory at the time. I really doubt Nintendo would do it the same way today.

It's an interesting thought to consider, imo if there is any Zelda that could be remade significantly better than the original version it definitely would be Zelda II (as opposed to ALttP which was and still is pretty dang great). There was a lot of unrealized potential there.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:
    @hailinel said:
    @slag said:

Definitely.

and it doesn't really add anything positive to the experience other than being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Games Like Rogue Legacy and Dark Souls have demonstrated much better ways to handle being challenging while not making players endlessly repeat long sections of the game for no benefit other than a faint hope of making it to the next rare save opportunity. My gaming time is limited these days, I have little desire to make the same 45 minute platforming run over and over just for a shot at a boss.

My evidence-less speculation is the save system was function of NES hardware memory limitations and game design theory at the time. I really doubt Nintendo would do it the same way today.

It's an interesting thought to consider, imo if there is any Zelda that could be remade significantly better than the original version it definitely would be Zelda II (as opposed to ALttP which was and still is pretty dang great). There was a lot of unrealized potential there.

I want to say that the way that the save system was handled in Zelda II was likely a holdover from the original game. If you died in the overworld, you were always forced to restart at the first screen every time, even if you were running toward the final dungeon. It's at least more lenient in that if you died inside a dungeon, you could continue from that point, but if you saved and quit, as far as I recall (it has been a long time since I played the first Zelda) you always started back at the very first screen and had to make your way back to the dungeon. Even A Link to the Past made some improvements in that regard.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#45  Edited By Brackynews

<metalgearawesome>Hellllllllll yeaaaaaa!</metalgearawesome>

Speaking as someone who wrote Clayton Walnum letters about corrections to his guide in VG&CE.... I might be a little biased towards Z-II.

I honestly feel bad for anyone who didn't play it with an Advantage though. Not just the turbo (which was, as the Klepeks say, "clutch" for farming XP) but the combat nuances of a frame-perfect downthrust+lowstab made short work of Iron Knuckles.

Also IronKnuckles.

Also please play Zelda II FPS right after taking Destructoid's quiz.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Heck yeah! While I never got very far into Zelda 2, I did enjoy what I played of it.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#47  Edited By jacksukeru

@brackynews: The downward thrust and fighting Iron Knuckles are the best parts of the game! Fighting Iron Knuckles practically IS Zelda II.

Y'know, what Nintendo really should do is pull a Bravely Default and make a Zelda II-2 game with evolved mechanics under a brand new franchise name, with a different setting, plot and characters. It's different enough from what's become established Zelda conventions at this point that reviving it as something different might be the way to go.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's my least favorite Zelda game and so I picked no because I would rather play another overhead or 3D Zelda, but really, if they actually do make one like this, I'd probably play it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Slag

@hailinel:

Bumping this thread since I've been thinking about it lately.

I've been playing through Guacamelee of late and it really struck me how much of that game draws from Zelda II. There are some stark obvious differences (such as the Luchador theme of course and the focus on combo melee combat), but there are some heavy influences such as the town and dungeon designs.

It may be the closest to Zelda II done right I have ever seen and boy is it fun! Given the easter eggs and achievements in the game it's clear Zelda II was a conscious influence for the designers.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

@hailinel:

Bumping this thread since I've been thinking about it lately.

I've been playing through Guacamelee of late and it really struck me how much of that game draws from Zelda II. There are some stark obvious differences (such as the Luchador theme of course and the focus on combo melee combat), but there are some heavy influences such as the town and dungeon designs.

It may be the closest to Zelda II done right I have ever seen and boy is it fun! Given the easter eggs and achievements in the game it's clear Zelda II was a conscious influence for the designers.

That's pretty cool! Not having played it, I had heard that Guacamelee had a very strong Metroidvania vibe, but it's interesting to hear that it pulls a lot from Zelda II.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.