Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jan 14, 1987

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is the second entry in the ground-breaking Zelda franchise. This controversial follow-up ditches the original's top-down perspective for 2D side-scrolling exploration and combat. The 2D towns, dungeons and combat arenas are tied together by a top-down overworld.

Would you want to play a new Zelda game in the vein of Zelda II?

• 59 results
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Poll Would you want to play a new Zelda game in the vein of Zelda II? (131 votes)

Yes! 56%
    No! 33%
    See Results! 11%

I just spent the past few hours watching a longplay of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (suck it, Golden Globes), and while the game certainly has its issues (Obscure pathways, obtuse, Castlevania II-style puzzles and hidden items), it's at least a little surprising to me that Nintendo never tried revisiting this particular style of Zelda game after their first attempt. The mix of overworld exploration, side-scrolling towns, dungeons and combat, an RPG-style experience system and the traditional manner of item gathering is actually a really cool mix that, if it were done today with more polish, it could be a fantastic game. So given that they had success revisiting A Link to the Past with A Link Between Worlds, would you be interested in playing a new Zelda II?

• 
    Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@hailinel said:

@slag said:

@hailinel:

Bumping this thread since I've been thinking about it lately.

I've been playing through Guacamelee of late and it really struck me how much of that game draws from Zelda II. There are some stark obvious differences (such as the Luchador theme of course and the focus on combo melee combat), but there are some heavy influences such as the town and dungeon designs.

It may be the closest to Zelda II done right I have ever seen and boy is it fun! Given the easter eggs and achievements in the game it's clear Zelda II was a conscious influence for the designers.

That's pretty cool! Not having played it, I had heard that Guacamelee had a very strong Metroidvania vibe, but it's interesting to hear that it pulls a lot from Zelda II.

It definitely has that vibe, it even has Chozo statues (and they are called those) that give you new abilities. I'd say it probably does draws from the Metroid side of Metroidvania more than anything. But yeah the Zelda II influences are there too. No overworld like Zelda II but I think that's probably for the best in this case. And it's amazing how much more fun that gameplay loop is with a far lesser penalty for death (Guacamelee basically doesn't penalize you at all for platforming mistakes and has reasonably friendly checkpointing for combat deaths, which is good because some of those platforming puzzles are rough).

It's worth a play, if you get an opening in your gaming budget and backlog. Pretty short, 6-12 hours depending on how completionist you are. But a solid 6-12, not a lot of bad filler in there.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

@hailinel said:

@slag said:

@hailinel:

Bumping this thread since I've been thinking about it lately.

I've been playing through Guacamelee of late and it really struck me how much of that game draws from Zelda II. There are some stark obvious differences (such as the Luchador theme of course and the focus on combo melee combat), but there are some heavy influences such as the town and dungeon designs.

It may be the closest to Zelda II done right I have ever seen and boy is it fun! Given the easter eggs and achievements in the game it's clear Zelda II was a conscious influence for the designers.

That's pretty cool! Not having played it, I had heard that Guacamelee had a very strong Metroidvania vibe, but it's interesting to hear that it pulls a lot from Zelda II.

It definitely has that vibe, it even has Chozo statues (and they are called those) that give you new abilities. I'd say it probably does draws from the Metroid side of Metroidvania more than anything. But yeah the Zelda II influences are there too. No overworld like Zelda II but I think that's probably for the best in this case. And it's amazing how much more fun that gameplay loop is with a far lesser penalty for death (Guacamelee basically doesn't penalize you at all for platforming mistakes and has reasonably friendly checkpointing for combat deaths, which is good because some of those platforming puzzles are rough).

It's worth a play, if you get an opening in your gaming budget and backlog. Pretty short, 6-12 hours depending on how completionist you are. But a solid 6-12, not a lot of bad filler in there.

Budget's not an issue, but if I can find the time, I'll have to see about that.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Aetheldod

Never want to play any Zelda game again, no matter the style.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never want to play any Zelda game again, no matter the style.

Why not?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@hailinel: Mainly because I have no interest in the designs of these games (characters , worlds , enemies etc. , its more whimsical aesthetics nature , rather than cooler, darker and much more awesomeaesthetics of Metroid ) Pretty much dont give a cent about Link , I would rather actually play as Zelda instead of the midget elf wanna be. And the gameplay ..... Im not attracted to it.bAnd instead of making more and better Metroid games , we are stuck with Zelda games :(

As for the Zelda game in question , well I did like it and still own it , and alongside with A link´s to the past I see no reason to ever touch a Zelda game again , unless major aesthetics , gameplay and story differences happen.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Seppli

Never played Zelda II (I had a C64, not a NES), but wouldn't a 2D Zelda just be your regular Metroidvania game?

Like I played Guacamelee recently, probably the most challenging Metroidvania game I've ever played, and to its merit, despite being tough as nails, it's always fair. Awesome and crazy game. Not for the faint of heart.

If you ask if I'd play a 2D-Metroidvania game in a Zelda setting? Sure, if I had Nintendo hardware at the time, I certainly would.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I would want to play a new Mario (or non Mario platformer) in the vein of SMB2.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aetheldod: Ah, well. Fair enough. They're not for everyone.

@seppli said:

Never played Zelda II (I had a C64, not a NES), but wouldn't a 2D Zelda just be your regular Metroidvania game?

Like I played Guacamelee recently, probably the most challenging Metroidvania game I've ever played, and to it's merit, despite being tough as nails, it's always fair. Awesome and crazy game. Not for the faint of heart.

If you ask if I'd play a 2D-Metroidvania game in a Zelda setting? Sure, if I had Nintendo hardware at the time, I certainly would.

Yes and no. There are Metroidvania elements to Zelda II, but there are also elements that make it stray from the concept of a Metroidvania, like the overworld, and the way it handles puzzles and enemy encounters. The Metroidvania concepts are certainly there, but that's not all the game is.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I like to think that the Symphony of the Night-style Castlevania games, while clearly based on Super Metroid, actually are spiritual successors to Zelda II/The Battle of Olympus.

They're 2D Action Adventure RPGs. A little different, sure, but I'm fine with Zelda itself not doing another one like that. Unless...GASP...Nintendo was able to make a 2D sidescroller version of Dark Souls or something. That would be amazing. But it'll never happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.