Zeno Clash Demo on Steam!

#1 Posted by Forcen (1799 posts) -
#2 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

Cool. I bought this game when it was on the 50% off pre-purchase deal. I've only just started playing it, and I really not sure about it. I'm not totally convinced about the combat. It seems to control well enough, but I just can't seem to get used to it. I really want to power on through it through because the universe is totally giving me an oddworld vibe, and I love the oddworld games for the the universe and storyline. They're some of my favourite games.

Anyway, enough of me going on about oddworld (I could go on about it for days), but people should definately check out this demo to see if it's your kind of thing.

#3 Posted by jmrwacko (2444 posts) -

I'd say just play it on "normal" mode Matty, you won't have to worry much about dying and you'll still be able to enjoy all the awesome environments.

#4 Posted by PenguinDust (12443 posts) -

I saw some video of this from the review on Kotaku and immediately I thought it looked like something straight out of Heavy Metal magazine.  I'm not even sure if that periodical is still being published, but it used to always have trippy worlds full of distorted beings.

#5 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

I found the demo boring and repetitive. If the game is anything like the demo then I don't want it.

#6 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

You shoot, you beat up. Goons or bosses each with their strength or weakness. You watch cut scenes. If you didn't find it interesting in the demo it won't be interesting in the full game. It's no more repetitive than a shooter where you constantly shoot stuff. It is what the game is. Meh. I didn't like the disjointed feel between the levels, it didn't feel like going through a world but that you were put into an arena every so often, with the exception of one or two levels so far where it did feel like making progress through it, yet that wasn't the game's best point so far either. But it's worth the little $ you pay for it if you like the combat and the bizzare setting, imo.

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Odd game.

#8 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1550 posts) -
Al3xand3r said:
"You shoot, you beat up. Goons or bosses each with their strength or weakness. You watch cut scenes. If you didn't find it interesting in the demo it won't be interesting in the full game. It's no more repetitive than a shooter where you constantly shoot stuff. It is what the game is. Meh. I didn't like the disjointed feel between the levels but it's worth the little $ you pay for it if you like the combat and the bizzare setting, imo."
Agreed, loved the demo and am thinking about buying the game at this point or finally getting Left 4 Dead since it's only $24 over the weekend. I'm leaning more toward L4D.
#9 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

When I installed the demo, my computer crashed and then when I turned it back on and tried opening steam it said "ERROR Steam is not able to recognize files, please move to a location where you have writing permissions, or something like that....

#10 Edited by Budster (134 posts) -

Played the Demo and have to say I loved it. Its a fresh breath from all the mainstream gaming madness. I thought the combat was very intuitive and well executed. There is a learning curve, but that is a aspect i like.
If you want a game where you have to learn combat in a FPP then look no further, or mirror's edge, but i'm digging the art direction in this a lot more.

#11 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
Dr_Feelgood38 said:
"Al3xand3r said:
"You shoot, you beat up. Goons or bosses each with their strength or weakness. You watch cut scenes. If you didn't find it interesting in the demo it won't be interesting in the full game. It's no more repetitive than a shooter where you constantly shoot stuff. It is what the game is. Meh. I didn't like the disjointed feel between the levels but it's worth the little $ you pay for it if you like the combat and the bizzare setting, imo."
Agreed, loved the demo and am thinking about buying the game at this point or finally getting Left 4 Dead since it's only $24 over the weekend. I'm leaning more toward L4D."
Go for L4D I'd say, it will last longer. But when you have spare $, do buy this since you liked the demo.
#12 Posted by artofwar420 (6249 posts) -

I freaking LOVE the combat (only have played the demo), but the voice work is kinda not good, but it's understandable, they're pretty small developers. There's not much to do with the non-hostile people, but maybe they were going for that, just a brawler and that's it. The art is just insane, that's the kind of originality I wish we'd see in more games. Someone tell me if the combat gets more intricate or does it stay the same, because I really enjoyed the combat, best 1st person view combat I've ever played.

These guys have a big chance of making a superb game in the future. I don't know if this was their first game, but damn!
#13 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -
artofwar420 said:
"These guys have a big chance of making a superb game in the future. I don't know if this was their first game, but damn!"
I think they're experienced devs that have worked for big companies in the past, but this is their first game as an indie developer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.