Do I need to play 999 to understand this game?

#1 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3058 posts) -

I was combing through the 3ds eshop today and saw that this game is now available for digital download. Game is only $24.99 and I still have my 30 dollars from the nintendo SMTIV + Fire Emblem deal so I'm thinking of taking the plunge. My question is do I need to play 999 in order to have any understanding of what's happening in this game or can I play Virtue's Last Reward by itself?

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11719 posts) -

No. They do explicitly go over the events of 999 in VLR, but I strongly recommend actually playing through 999.

#3 Posted by ElCapitan (401 posts) -

It's not required, but playing 999 will help. Play it like Patrick suggested and get an ending or two without a guide and then guide it up for the true ending.

I love these games so much! So glad you're about to take the plunge.

#4 Posted by CooVee (136 posts) -

I would play 999 before Virtue's Last Reward. There is enough call backs to the first game in VLR that it would be better if you understood there significance by playing 999.

#5 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

You just have to wrap your head around a bunch of bullshit more or less. The premise is really what makes it interesting moreso than the logic. Axe ending is the best ending. Pushmaster 5000 is the best part. Not being able to see faces makes you pure evil.

#6 Edited by AlwaysBeClothing (1446 posts) -

I think 999 has a better story though VLR certainly has better systems that makes certain things less tedious. There are a decent amount of callbacks to 999 that would enhance your enjoyment of VLR but I wouldn't call it strictly necessary.

#8 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

No, I got two one of 999s endings and i hated the way it presented its dialog.

Virtues last reward was more enjoyable, I found it occupied my interest more. And it was also so much easyer to play the other endings. I also have a intrest in the mechanics used in the story of VLR ( trying to advoid spoilers by not spelling them out ).

#9 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

I think you should.

There are some important story points in VLR that you probably won't be able to appreciate unless you play 999 first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.