Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zero Escape

Franchise »

A series of visual novel/adventure games created by Chunsoft and Koutaro Uchikoshi. The series is known as "Extreme Escape" in Japan and "Zero Escape" in the United States.

Zero Escape 3 experiencing development difficulties

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Director of the series Kotaro Uchikoshi has recently discussed on Twitter the reasons for why Zero Escape 3 is having significant problems in regards to development. Basically, it comes down to how the Japanese sales are pretty bad and, despite its better sales in the west, the managers don't seem to be greenlighting the project. Transcript from NeoGAF user Nibel:

First, I appreciate from the bottom of my heart to the users who played 999 or VLR. Thank you very much! I have received the messages of encouragement or cheer from many users so far. I am really glad and happy. I offer my deepest thanks!

Well... I guess you have been curious about ZE3.

In conclusion, unfortunately, I have to say that it is difficult to realize it "at this stage" yet, although we have done all we can. If possible, I'd not like to inform you of the news like this. But I decided to reveal it honestly. A lot of budget is needed to make ZE series. We have to persuade the managers in order to obtain it. The managers know that ZE series is especially valued by many users outside Japan. Some of them think that they want to make a sequel just as we wish. But, "in Japan", 999 and VLR are in the red. They are not selling more than people think.

I'm so sad, but all the companies exist for profit-making purposes. If the profits can't be expected, naturally, the project isn't approved. We were not able to present a convincing reasonable basis to the managers. Of course, I can declare with confidence, "The next title will certainly get into the black!" However, it's not considered that the word have credibility. It does not become the cause of green light.

I am very sorry to all the users who are expecting ZE3. I feel ashamed of my own inadequacies. BUT! please remember. I wrote "at this stage". If the situation changes, ZE3 might be capable of being realized! I still haven't given up. For example, if the title which I make next bring about a good result, the wind might shift to another direction. Or, if someone with executive ability (financer, producer, publisher or millionaire!) propose the investment, everything could go well. If there is an great investor who thinks "Virtue is its own reward", I wish him/her to send me a message. If you know such a wonderful person, please induce him/her to cooperate. By using Facebook, you can send a direct message to me (Although we also examined crowd-funding like Kick Starter, we figured the idea is not quite persuasive enough...) I believe there is still hope. ZE3 will definitely be released somehow, someday! I will continue to seek a way out in cooperation with Allies. So, I would appreciate it if you could wait until then. Thank you!

Seems that the game's not likely to happen anytime soon.

I thought it did better than it did, but I guess I should have known that these games always sell relatively poorly compared to their critical acclaim. They're never given the attention they deserve.

At least there's still Danganronpa...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

They should make an anime of it.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't see faces therefore I am evil.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nooooo! Oh, well... At least he gave us an idea on what's happening with the game. I hope he finds an alternative and that game gets made whenever that may be.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been interested in checking out the first two; do they stand alone just fine or does the second end on some sort of cliffhanger?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane122: First stands alone fine. Second is a sequel that relies on the first for context and ends on a hell of a cliffhanger.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

@bane122 said:

I've been interested in checking out the first two; do they stand alone just fine or does the second end on some sort of cliffhanger?

Yes and no. The game's story is concluded, but they set up the next game in a way THAT I WANT IT NOW!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

;_____; But I need ZE3.

I guarantee that a Kickstarter would do just fine.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is super depressing. I'm gonna have to jump to another timeline where this game is coming out.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bane122

@mcfart: @fluxwavez: Hm, that's a bummer. I'll definitely still try out the first but am wary of the second now. I hate cliffhangers that don't get resolved.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mcfart

@bane122 said:

@mcfart: @fluxwavez: Hm, that's a bummer. I'll definitely still try out the first but am wary of the second now. I hate cliffhangers that don't get resolved.

The game's story is resolved in a satisfying conclusion. BUT they have stuff set for a different time. That's as far as I can go without massive spoilers.

But really, if you haven't played 999 yet, then you probably never will. The hype train (Patrick liked those games) is completly gone. What are you waiting for, the end of the world?

Anyways it's still a fucking bummer that ZE3 is never gonna come out. Even with the more "lightheartiness" of the second, I guess the Japanese market is too oversaturated with this type of game to give a shit.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart: Well if that game's story is wrapped up then I can deal with that. If the third is never made I can just ignore the set up for it.

As for why I haven't played it yet, I hadn't heard about these games until Patrick started them. Not to mention I was DS-less for three years. I don't need hype to want to play a game. I go back and play older stuff all the time. Shit, I played through Simon's Quest while watching the super Bowl a couple of weeks ago.

Graham_Nix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, that's a reaaaaal bummer. I loved those games.

I wouldn't be surprised if ZE3 would do well on Kickstarter, though, it seems to have a pretty big cult-following. I'd definitely help funding it if given the chance.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mcfart
    @graham_nix said:

I wouldn't be surprised if ZE3 would do well on Kickstarter, though, it seems to have a pretty big cult-following. I'd definitely help funding it if given the chance.

Ehhh, I doubt it. Most of Kickstarter's successes are small games like FTL that are mostly low-budget graphics with good gameplay. Full voice acting costs A LOT of money, not to mention the type of game we're talking aboot here.

They'd ask for more then you expect as well. If Kickstarter could easily fund this niche game, then a publisher would have already went to them.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fall 2013 has come and gone without an English release on iOS. It's too bad, I love the Zero Escape series. The bar they set with VLR was too high, I can't imagine those higher profile voice-actors were cheap. Most of those characters don't really need to return, but it's still hard for a series to go backwards in production value and if it didn't sell well, I can totally understand how financing would be an issue. ...though, maybe it was unwise to leave a game on a cliffhanger without a multi-game contract in the first place.

Graham_Nix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Graham_Nix
    @mcfart said:
    @graham_nix said:

Ehhh, I doubt it. Most of Kickstarter's successes are small games like FTL that are mostly low-budget graphics with good gameplay. Full voice acting costs A LOT of money, not to mention the type of game we're talking aboot here.

They'd ask for more then you expect as well. If Kickstarter could easily fund this niche game, then a publisher would have already went to them.

Well, I figure most people would be okay with leaving out 3D assets (it seems that the bulk of fans prefered the sprites of 999 anyway) and voicework. You bring up the type of game, but I don't think (note: I don't know much about game development) that a visual novel would be very expensive to make, compared to other genres. But, as you say, if needed budget was not that big, it would probably have been funded already.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@toowalrus: VO is one of the cheapest parts of making a game as a whole, though I suppose the lack of any particularly extensive graphical needs might make it a significant portion of the budget. Also apart from K the voice acting is nothing special, you could just get a bunch of fans to do it for free and they'd do fine.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh well, I'll just go and replay some of the Infinity series games instead.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By phantomzxro

@fredchuckdave: I think you are underselling voice work. We don't need bad voice acting for such a voice heavy game. I would not mind the production values move a little closer to 999 personally.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zeik

@phantomzxro said:

@fredchuckdave: I think you are underselling voice work. We don't need bad voice acting for such a voice heavy game. I would not mind the production values move a little closer to 999 personally.

Yeah, VLR had a number of well known professional voice actors. A fan dub would in no way be equivalent. (Anyone who thinks a fan dub would trump Liam O'Brien's voice is a crazy person.) I'd much much rather have no voice acting than resort to a fan dub.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@zeik: Lezard's good in other stuff; not really in VLR. Also 999 did not have voice acting.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Lezard's good in other stuff; not really in VLR. Also 999 did not have voice acting.

Dio was one of my favorite characters in large part due to Liam O'Brien. I wouldn't call it his best role, but I still think he played the role well.

And I don't recall ever saying 999 did have voice acting. I was saying I'd rather see a sequel with no voice acting, like 999, over a fan dub.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: You clearly said 999 had voice acting, just not in this timeline.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, but that was the timeline where everyone died from the killer bee swarm.

icybankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time to:

No Caption Provided

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

I just ordered 999, bit late to the party. Hope things work out for them.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah Man! i hope things change these games are great.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

If you weren't aware, there is a fan campaign going on to bring attention to ZE 3 and make realizing it possible.

It's a facebook campaign, called Operation Bluebird, and of course being what it is, it probably won't accomplish much, but everything's worth a shot for a sequel to this in my opinion. So check it out if you want: https://www.facebook.com/operationbluebirdze3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.