Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down?

#1 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

Yesterday, the rumor had hit that Prey 2 is getting cancelled sometime next week. The rumor that some people seemed to miss, however, was that Sony is also axing Zipper Interactive, the developers behind the majority of the SOCOM franchise as well as the recent release Unit 13 for Vita.

Let's be honest: Zipper has been a pale comparison of its former glory for some time, and SOCOM 4 just didn't happen to do what it needed to do. The world has kind of moved on from the awesomeness of SOCOM 2.

If this is true, it sucks to see another studio go away, and I hope everyone at the studio is able to get back up on their feet soon enough.

#2 Posted by Seedofpower (3930 posts) -

If it's true I hope they all find jobs soon. Losing one is never fun.

#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Not that surprising. They haven't had a hit in years.

#4 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

What does Prey 2 have to do with Zipper?

#5 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

I want MAG 2...

#6 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@Vodun said:

Nothing at all.

#7 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (760 posts) -

This is sad news. They made some great games like Crimson Skies & Mechwarrior 3.

Here's hoping they'll find new jobs in the industry.

#8 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Dont forget MAG that was a great idea in theory

#9 Edited by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

@Vodun said:

The rumors hit on the same day, but people seemed to either ignore this one.

@NoCookiesForYou said:

This is sad news. They made some great games like Crimson Skies & Mechwarrior 3.

Here's hoping they'll find new jobs in the industry.

I had to think about the Crimson Skies one for a second, but then I remembered that they DID make the PC version of that. Goddamn...

#10 Posted by awesomeusername (4185 posts) -

I will hate Bethesda (or Zenimax) if they cancelled Prey 2. It's been in development for a couple years now so why would they do such a thing?!

#11 Posted by N7 (3589 posts) -

MAG was awesome and had the potential to be so much better. If only Zipper never started patching all of the guns to be way shittier than they usually were, I would still be playing.

I had a hope that maybe MAG 2 would have been a PS4 launch title. It had such an amazing synergy to it and it would be a damn shame if we never see a follow up to that.

#12 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -
#13 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -
#14 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -

I'm currently downloading unit 13 right now.

#15 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Man Socom 2 will always be my happy time. It was in that perfect spot of me being healthy and happy and not a care in the world. Friends have moved, health problems have come about and life ...life has been a drag.

#16 Posted by cutyoface (544 posts) -

Not really surprised by this. ZI games haven't been to great recently.

#17 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Not a fan of their games, but I wish them the best.

#18 Edited by GooieGreen (454 posts) -

As someone with friends at Zipper... please, don't ask them about it. They can't talk about anything, even if something is happening.

#19 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I remember before SOCOM 4 came out people were talking about like it was going to be the second coming and then it came out got some good reviews and I never heard about it or anyone playing it ever again. I suppose PSN going down on launch day for a month might have killed the game but still seemed like a really weird drop off, same thing with MAG.

#20 Posted by fisk0 (4115 posts) -

Sad, I really liked MAG, even though it didn't quite live up to it's potential (I still think it's the closest we'll ever get to playing Battlefield 2 on consoles though). Zipper is/was one of those studios that I've always found interesting, from Death Drome to MechWarrior 3, SOCOM and MAG, even when their games didn't live up to their potential. I still hold MechWarrior 3 as the high point of that series.
Wasn't SOCOM 4's commercial failure to a large degree because it was released right in the middle of the month long PSN outage last year, and as a multiplayer focused franchise that can't have helped them at all.

#21 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

This is sad. I really, really enjoyed SOCOM 1 & 2. :(

#22 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Zipper have never made a game I liked but it's always sad to hear people losing their jobs. Hopefully a rumor is all it is.

#23 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

@GooieGreen said:

As someone with friends at Zipper... please, don't ask them about it. They can't talk about anything, even if something is happening.

1. Who was planning on asking them? I don't think anyone in this thread was.

2. So you basically just confirmed that the rumor is true?

#24 Posted by Kiri90 (257 posts) -

Socom 2 remains the game I have the fondest memories of. I played just Socom 2 for 2 years, so I have great respect for them and hope there are still great things to come from people who worked there.

#25 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@jakob187

@GooieGreen said:

Yeah I was gonna say... Seems kind of a useless thing to bring up at all.
#26 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

Dont forget MAG that was a great idea in theory

Worked well in practice too just not enough people bought it.

#27 Posted by GooieGreen (454 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@jakob187

@GooieGreen said:

Yeah I was gonna say... Seems kind of a useless thing to bring up at all.

I put it out there knowing that people would ask. Personally, I don't know anything more than the rumor. I wanted to excuse myself from knowing either way because I don't feel comfortable bringing it up with them.

You can be rude and say that it is a useless thing to say or assume that people won't, but given the scope of this rumor, people who are interested are going to read this. More than likely, they will continue to hound these people on social networks. I put it out as advice to not ask because nobody is going to talk to answer them. I amended what I originally wrote to remove anything that seemed like I knew what the hell was going on. The parties that can confirm this rumor is true or not is Sony or Zipper.

#28 Posted by Zaccheus (1793 posts) -

MAG was epic when you went in with 64 duders and rolled over people. Definitely the biggest online game for me since Counter-Strike 1.6. It had a lot of problems too, especially the horribly broken patches that kept coming in. But I have never had that kind of large scale experience where I'm communicating with my team and doing my part in a massive battle. My love for the game is probably more about the group I played with than the game itself, it was just good at facilitating that kind of team play.

I would have loved to see what they could have done with MAG 2, but if they are actually shutting down that will never happen. I didn't really think they would have done it either way, but at least there was a chance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.