Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zombie Apocalypse

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Sep 23, 2009

Shoot tons of un-dead enemies with two joysticks, and plenty of fire power, from an overhead perspective in this downloadable game from Konami.

Konami Is Engineering The Zombie Apocalypse

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    Zombies are less menacing from the air.
    If the recent PlayStation Network release of Burn Zombie Burn didn't sate your appetite for murdering the undead from a top-down perspective--or if you only have an Xbox 360 and didn't even get to play that game at all--Konami has your back with its own downloadable zombie shooter for both platforms, appropriately titled Zombie Apocalypse.

Burn Zombie Burn got pretty complex with its unconventional controls and intricate combo mechanisms, but those of you looking for a more accessible shooter are in luck here. Zombie Apocalypse keeps the action simple with traditional dual-joystick controls and traditional zombie-killing apparatuses like chainsaws and chainguns. It's just four survivors against the endless horde. Think of it as Left 4 Dead meets Geometry Wars.

Actually, it's not endless; you're trying to survive for 55 days of game time, though who knows what happens after that?

I was glad to see that Zombie Apocalypse offers a robust multiplayer setup; four players can battle the hordes locally or online. With four players in the mix, the game gave off a classic arcade sort of vibe, since combo-based high scores--and not dying--are the primary goals. You can run around waving your chainsaw like a madman if you want, but slicing and dicing with specific execution moves will boost your combo multiplier much faster. Of course, you have to get close enough to pull off the move, so there's some risk/reward there. From time to time you'll have to protect survivors from the horde until they can be airlifted out via helicopter. You can also throw bait to lure zombies away, and use level features like exploding barrels to wreak bigger destruction. There aren't really any unique mechanics here, but the action had a good hectic feel to it, and it's so pick-up-and-play accessible that the game made a good first impression.

I wonder how many developers are annoyed that Konami snagged the rights to "Zombie Apocalypse" before they did. Zombie games and dual-joystick shooters may be legion these days, but I had fun with this one and I'm looking forward to playing more of it. The game will be out later in the second quarter, which basically means in the next two months.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Brad
    If the recent PlayStation Network release of Burn Zombie Burn didn't sate your appetite for murdering the undead from a top-down perspective--or if you only have an Xbox 360 and didn't even get to play that game at all--Konami has your back with its own downloadable zombie shooter for both platforms, appropriately titled Zombie Apocalypse.

Burn Zombie Burn got pretty complex with its unconventional controls and intricate combo mechanisms, but those of you looking for a more accessible shooter are in luck here. Zombie Apocalypse keeps the action simple with traditional dual-joystick controls and traditional zombie-killing apparatuses like chainsaws and chainguns. It's just four survivors against the endless horde. Think of it as Left 4 Dead meets Geometry Wars.

Actually, it's not endless; you're trying to survive for 55 days of game time, though who knows what happens after that?

I was glad to see that Zombie Apocalypse offers a robust multiplayer setup; four players can battle the hordes locally or online. With four players in the mix, the game gave off a classic arcade sort of vibe, since combo-based high scores--and not dying--are the primary goals. You can run around waving your chainsaw like a madman if you want, but slicing and dicing with specific execution moves will boost your combo multiplier much faster. Of course, you have to get close enough to pull off the move, so there's some risk/reward there. From time to time you'll have to protect survivors from the horde until they can be airlifted out via helicopter. You can also throw bait to lure zombies away, and use level features like exploding barrels to wreak bigger destruction. There aren't really any unique mechanics here, but the action had a good hectic feel to it, and it's so pick-up-and-play accessible that the game made a good first impression.

I wonder how many developers are annoyed that Konami snagged the rights to "Zombie Apocalypse" before they did. Zombie games and dual-joystick shooters may be legion these days, but I had fun with this one and I'm looking forward to playing more of it. The game will be out later in the second quarter, which basically means in the next two months.

Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Oy

sounds good. 4 players!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper

You know, I'm pretty interested in this. Thanks Brad, I will try this out.

Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Cynical_M

Looks pretty cool,I'll check it out.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Pie

Come on ign already revewed this about 2 weeks ago

Tangeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Tangeu

Looks a whole lot like a Sigma Team game.  This is a good thing.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sixpin

Particleman! If he gets bit does he get zombiefied or do the zombies get him instead?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB

I think I'll stick with both Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising. What's with the influx of Zombie games? I know that Zombies are the new Vampires and all, but it's getting to be a bit much.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

looks good

nanifear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By nanifear

When are the great ape and monkey survival games gonna start rollin out....im meen phuck.

shayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By shayo

Man, zombies have a hard time lately.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

4 player co-op old school shooter zombie killing? Sounds pretty awesome!

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Media_Master

too much zombies to care

LilBew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LilBew

it is just me .... is that one char in the screens louis from l4d look at the left corner of the screens

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Crono

LilBew sez:

"it is just me .... is that one char in the screens louis from l4d look at the left corner of the screens"

No, it is not just you, I thought the same exact thing as soon as I saw the screenshot that's embedded in the story.  Looks exactly like Louis with a healthkit on his back.

Aside from that strange parallel, the game sounds interesting since I love both L4D and GeoWars.  Hopefully this isn't just a case of something sounding good on paper.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By killdave

zombies ??  yes sold

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By teptom

I like it when zombies are in games. Although, I'm not sure how many different variations of a zombie game you can do. 

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

Wow, it looks like a complete ripoff of BZB! but I am very enticed. I might get it actually if it plays well.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrKlorox

I like this look more than BZB's look.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

in the next two months? as in by the end of june? wow, i'm gonna be so busy this summer. and i haven't even bought BZB (which looks better to me) yet.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By MeatSim

Four player Co-Op is always good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.