Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zombie

Concept »

Zombies, more accurately called the walking dead, are reanimated corpses who feed on the living, and have become a ubiquitous video game enemy. They often move slowly, but can be deadly in large numbers, which is unfortunately how they tend to travel. Shotgun time!

George Romero on Left4Dead 2

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell
     http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704904/George-Romero-On-Left-4-Dead-2-Zombies-And-Survival-Of-The-Dead.html

I don't watch a lot of zombie films (outisde of comedy ones) but I saw this an had to watch it. It's really interesting, he seems detatched from Left4Dead for the same reasons I am, because there's just a hundred zombies flooding in at a hundred mph. He says his films aren't really about the strength of zombies, but the flaws of people and how people get themselves into bad situations. He'd rather the zombies just be a catalyst to that. It made me suddenly wanna watch his films.

Also I wish they would've mentioned Dead Rising, because that's exactly what that's about. The zombies are all slow in Dead Rising and they're literally just there to be in the way, while the story's actually about how people break down under extreme conditions.

+What the hell he wanted to direct Resident Evil?
    lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By lamegame621

The best zombie fiction is the kind where we, the humans, are the REAL monsters. Zombie movies have a long tradition of being social commentary, something that a certain non-Romero zombie film, 28 Days Later, does quite well.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

Part of the fun about L4D (at least when you first came out) was that you did see REAL players losing it under certain circumstances. Once you become an action star the game becamse a lot less exciting, though still fun.

HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By HODGEY3000

romeros the man
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By sixghost

George Romero stopped being an authority on zombies in entertainment after Day of the Dead was released. He's pumped out such shit in the last decade. This is like modern day George Lucas criticizing someones sci-fi universe.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By bacongames
    @lamegame621 said:
    " The best zombie fiction is the kind where we, the humans, are the REAL monsters. Zombie movies have a long tradition of being social commentary, something that a certain non-Romero zombie film, 28 Days Later, does quite well. "
    This is why zombie films are so fucking played.  It's a goddamn cliche at this point and the one thing that L4D does well is put you in the shoes of survivors in a world turned over by zombies.  In most zombie fiction the worry and focus is placed on survival of the humans when it's not being social commentary.  The games (especially the second game) put emphasis on this sense of being part of a team at the edge of the world in the apocalypse.  It's this interesting shift in our familiar world that makes those games worthwhile zombie fiction.  Zombies movies have you on the outside looking in at the drama of a zombie apocalypse.  The games instead put you on the inside looking out at the zombie world and because it's a video game it actually makes the survivors defending themselves well actually interesting.  

Don't get me wrong I definitely like the idea of the crazies coming out of the woodwork when the zombie shit hits the fan but the last thing I want is another zombie social-commentary movie.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By thatfrood

Yeah, that used to be what your films were about Romero, I agree.
    Too bad you've completely lost that spark and now your films are just dull and lost.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Ineedaname

Maybe now he'll write a film that's good that's not called Dawn of the Dead, AMIRITE?

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By buzz_clik
    @I_smell said:

" +What the hell he wanted to direct Resident Evil? "

Well, we'll just have to wonder what could have been as we watch the ad he made for the second Resident Evil game, eh? Although I didn't actually mind the first RE movie at all.

@Ineedaname

said:

" Maybe now he'll write a film that's good that's not called Dawn of the Dead, AMIRITE? "

Hey, Night and Day of the Dead are both good flicks, too.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

I, for one, think slow zombies suck.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By DevWil

but seriously, folks: 

his career peaked with Dawn of the Dead.  that was a while ago.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By NTM
    @buzz_clik said:

It's funny how Claire is older than Leon in this video ha ha.
    lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lamegame621
    @sixghost said:
    " George Romero stopped being an authority on zombies in entertainment after Day of the Dead was released. He's pumped out such shit in the last decade. This is like modern day George Lucas criticizing someones sci-fi universe. "
    There is definite truth to this.
    ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By ectoplasma

Thanks for sharing this link! But the interviewer seems like a fool.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Vorbis
    @lamegame621 said:

" @sixghost said:

" George Romero stopped being an authority on zombies in entertainment after Day of the Dead was released. He's pumped out such shit in the last decade. This is like modern day George Lucas criticizing someones sci-fi universe. "
    There is definite truth to this. "

I almost cried when he put zombies on horses waving weapons around in his last movie. Now everything he says is invalid.

Our only hope remains with the new Max Brooks films, the only true zombie lore left.
    FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Left 4 Dead is about killing hundreds of zombies 
    Not about story or character development 
    Zombies, blood, guns, the end

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lamegame621
    @Vorbis said:
    " @lamegame621 said:

" @sixghost said:

There is definite truth to this. "
    I almost cried when he put zombies on horses waving weapons around in his last movie. Now everything he says is invalid.  Our only hope remains with the new Max Brooks films, the only true zombie lore left. "
    Consider me way psyched for it.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By emkeighcameron

28 days later remains my favorite zombie movie so far. I guess my favorite "slow" zombie movie would be......I don't know. Slow zombies are boring.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#19  Edited By psykhophear
    @I_smell:  If you're into zombie games, I encourage you to watch ALL of George A. Romero's Living Dead movies, starting from Night of The Living Dead until the recent Survival of The Dead. Trust me, you'll love 'em.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

For a moment I thought it was John Romero. Bummer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.