George Romero on Left4Dead 2

#1 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -
 http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704904/George-Romero-On-Left-4-Dead-2-Zombies-And-Survival-Of-The-Dead.html

I don't watch a lot of zombie films (outisde of comedy ones) but I saw this an had to watch it. It's really interesting, he seems detatched from Left4Dead for the same reasons I am, because there's just a hundred zombies flooding in at a hundred mph. He says his films aren't really about the strength of zombies, but the flaws of people and how people get themselves into bad situations. He'd rather the zombies just be a catalyst to that. It made me suddenly wanna watch his films.

Also I wish they would've mentioned Dead Rising, because that's exactly what that's about. The zombies are all slow in Dead Rising and they're literally just there to be in the way, while the story's actually about how people break down under extreme conditions.

+What the hell he wanted to direct Resident Evil?
#2 Posted by lamegame621 (975 posts) -

The best zombie fiction is the kind where we, the humans, are the REAL monsters. Zombie movies have a long tradition of being social commentary, something that a certain non-Romero zombie film, 28 Days Later, does quite well.

#3 Posted by TheHT (10810 posts) -

Part of the fun about L4D (at least when you first came out) was that you did see REAL players losing it under certain circumstances. Once you become an action star the game becamse a lot less exciting, though still fun.

#4 Posted by HODGEY3000 (344 posts) -

romeros the man
#5 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

George Romero stopped being an authority on zombies in entertainment after Day of the Dead was released. He's pumped out such shit in the last decade. This is like modern day George Lucas criticizing someones sci-fi universe.

#6 Posted by BaconGames (3280 posts) -
@lamegame621 said:
" The best zombie fiction is the kind where we, the humans, are the REAL monsters. Zombie movies have a long tradition of being social commentary, something that a certain non-Romero zombie film, 28 Days Later, does quite well. "
This is why zombie films are so fucking played.  It's a goddamn cliche at this point and the one thing that L4D does well is put you in the shoes of survivors in a world turned over by zombies.  In most zombie fiction the worry and focus is placed on survival of the humans when it's not being social commentary.  The games (especially the second game) put emphasis on this sense of being part of a team at the edge of the world in the apocalypse.  It's this interesting shift in our familiar world that makes those games worthwhile zombie fiction.  Zombies movies have you on the outside looking in at the drama of a zombie apocalypse.  The games instead put you on the inside looking out at the zombie world and because it's a video game it actually makes the survivors defending themselves well actually interesting.  

Don't get me wrong I definitely like the idea of the crazies coming out of the woodwork when the zombie shit hits the fan but the last thing I want is another zombie social-commentary movie.
#7 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

Yeah, that used to be what your films were about Romero, I agree.
Too bad you've completely lost that spark and now your films are just dull and lost.

#8 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

Maybe now he'll write a film that's good that's not called Dawn of the Dead, AMIRITE?

#9 Edited by buzz_clik (6892 posts) -
@I_smell said:

" +What the hell he wanted to direct Resident Evil? "

Well, we'll just have to wonder what could have been as we watch the ad he made for the second Resident Evil game, eh? Although I didn't actually mind the first RE movie at all.

@Ineedaname

said:

" Maybe now he'll write a film that's good that's not called Dawn of the Dead, AMIRITE? "

Hey, Night and Day of the Dead are both good flicks, too.
#10 Posted by ajamafalous (11813 posts) -

I, for one, think slow zombies suck.

#11 Posted by DevWil (842 posts) -

but seriously, folks: 

his career peaked with Dawn of the Dead.  that was a while ago.

#12 Posted by NTM (7235 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:

It's funny how Claire is older than Leon in this video ha ha.
#13 Posted by lamegame621 (975 posts) -
@sixghost said:
" George Romero stopped being an authority on zombies in entertainment after Day of the Dead was released. He's pumped out such shit in the last decade. This is like modern day George Lucas criticizing someones sci-fi universe. "
There is definite truth to this.
#14 Posted by ectoplasma (960 posts) -

Thanks for sharing this link! But the interviewer seems like a fool.

#15 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -
@lamegame621 said:

" @sixghost said:

" George Romero stopped being an authority on zombies in entertainment after Day of the Dead was released. He's pumped out such shit in the last decade. This is like modern day George Lucas criticizing someones sci-fi universe. "
There is definite truth to this. "

I almost cried when he put zombies on horses waving weapons around in his last movie. Now everything he says is invalid.

Our only hope remains with the new Max Brooks films, the only true zombie lore left.
#16 Posted by FinalDasa (1452 posts) -

Left 4 Dead is about killing hundreds of zombies 
Not about story or character development 
Zombies, blood, guns, the end

#17 Posted by lamegame621 (975 posts) -
@Vorbis said:
" @lamegame621 said:

" @sixghost said:

There is definite truth to this. "
I almost cried when he put zombies on horses waving weapons around in his last movie. Now everything he says is invalid.  Our only hope remains with the new Max Brooks films, the only true zombie lore left. "
Consider me way psyched for it.
#18 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

28 days later remains my favorite zombie movie so far. I guess my favorite "slow" zombie movie would be......I don't know. Slow zombies are boring.

#19 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -
@I_smell:  If you're into zombie games, I encourage you to watch ALL of George A. Romero's Living Dead movies, starting from Night of The Living Dead until the recent Survival of The Dead. Trust me, you'll love 'em.
#20 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2451 posts) -

For a moment I thought it was John Romero. Bummer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.