Resident Evil Zombies

#1 Posted by Vinny (1563 posts) -

So Resident Evil 4...Zombie Town or what? What about RE5? What, really, is a zombie? Can you be infected with Zombism? Maybe one just has that dang zombie parasite?

Settle this. I'm tired of removing and adding RE4 to zombies.

Staff
#2 Posted by capitanm1 (205 posts) -

I vote parasite. Zombies are just retarded but these dudes use chain saws n such.

#3 Posted by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -

RE4 does not have zombies. Only parasite infested townsfolk.

They are NOT zombies.

#4 Posted by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -
n. pl. zom·bies also zom·bis
1. A snake god of voodoo cults in West Africa, Haiti, and the southern United States.
        a. A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse.
        b. A corpse revived in this way.
3. One who looks or behaves like an automaton.
4. A tall mixed drink made of various rums, liqueur, and fruit juice.

In the RE games, the word Zombie is the literal meaning. Therefore, you could call someone in RE4 a zombie, but they would only be talking about their actions, and not what they really are.

Real Zombies = Corpse revived. Literally.
RE4 Zombies = lifeless "zombies" of people who are actually parasite infected. Figuratively.

I hope I smothered this long-going debate with a pillow and suffocated it :)
#5 Posted by capitanm1 (205 posts) -

I just hope the RE doesn't keep it this way. I miss killing those slow ass zombies.

#6 Posted by Vinny (1563 posts) -
hazelnutman said:
Damn you open interpretations! Also, definition 4. sounds enticing as well.
Staff
#7 Posted by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -
Vinny said:
"hazelnutman said:
Damn you open interpretations! Also, definition 4. sounds enticing as well.
"
The debate rages on!
#8 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Lol, I just say go for the strict definition #2.

#9 Posted by TimeWaffle (944 posts) -

but when they bite you, you don't turn into a zombie and that's a key zombie quality

#10 Posted by Mexalen (232 posts) -

Yeah, I would say that RE4 didn't feature zombies. Something similiar, definitiv automatons, and of course a bloodthirsty bunch. But not zombies in the classic sense...

On the other hand, you had some Zombies with knifes in Dead Rising too. And that were definitly zombies, but their infection rooted in some parasites too. And a virus or bacteria, as the common explanation is this days, where a zombie comes from and how it spreads the curse, is parasitic too. 

So I can understand the argument, that RE4 featured zombies - but zombies usually don't get tangly plant-things coming out of their head, if you shoot it off...
#11 Posted by Vinny (1563 posts) -
Mexalen said:
 zombies usually don't get tangly plant-things coming out of their head, if you shoot it off...
Best argument I've heard so far!
Staff
#12 Edited by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

Zombies are the undead, so that means they are, you betcha reincarnated dead people.

#13 Posted by Wolverine (4276 posts) -

A zombie is a person infected with an evil parasite which controls the person.

#14 Posted by Dante_the_Jedi (326 posts) -

RE4 has no Zombies in. Zombies are reanimated copses through supernatural or chemical means. Where as the parasite in RE4 take control of a person by taking over the nevus system of the host. 

#15 Edited by Cowman (658 posts) -

I have a hard time accepting the zombies in RE4 are zombies.
THEY SPEAK SPANISH! If you can speak Spanish you are not a zombie period, maybe a ghoul but not a zombie.

#16 Posted by Mexalen (232 posts) -
Cowman said:
"...If you can speak Spanish you are not a zombie..."
Does that work in reverse too? Cause I don't want to become a zombie ever, and learning spanish doesn't seem so hard... ;)
#17 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Indeed, RE4's dudes aren't zombies. Zombies don't speak

#18 Posted by Dante_the_Jedi (326 posts) -
Mexalen said:
Does that work in reverse too? Cause I don't want to become a zombie ever, and learning Spanish doesn't seem so hard... ;)"
You have found the one and only way to prevent becoming a zombie. The would is safe.....for now.
#19 Posted by Bilawal (109 posts) -

They are not. Zombies don't wield chainsaws and you can still kill them without headshots so they're not.

#20 Posted by Riicochet (94 posts) -

I would just like to say half-life headcrab people. (automaton personified,as all they want to do is kill/eat everything)

Glad to throw a wrench into trying to define zombies by their actions :D

#21 Posted by TEAMHOLT (437 posts) -

They had a name for the infected people in RE4: Ganados. I think I read it means cattle in Spanish. I went and proposed a page for it.

#22 Posted by Joker (675 posts) -

Got one thing to say to this topic. Zombie...Or Not!

But really Vinny, this sounds like that Gamespot show with Alex Navarro. Anyway, Alex and that other guy came to the conclusion that their not zombies, they can communicate, they don't shamble, and they are inhabited by parasites.

#23 Edited by CallMeRotten (229 posts) -

I blame 28 Days Later. I think the Zombie Union watched that flick, saw those Zombies sprinting and leaping around like Lemur's on speed and demanded that their undead brothers and sisters be allowed tto cast off the shackles the world had imprisoned them in so that they could run wild and free like the wily mongoose of justice.

Since then Zombie law has been topsy-turvy!

#24 Posted by Milkman (16479 posts) -

But if their not zombies, what are they? Are we going to have to create a "Parasite Infected Spanish Town Folk" concept page?

#25 Posted by Cowman (658 posts) -
Milkman said:
"But if their not zombies, what are they? Are we going to have to create a "Parasite Infected Spanish Town Folk" concept page?
"
I call them Ghouls, they seem to fit the profile of a Ghoul better.
#26 Posted by CallMeRotten (229 posts) -
Cowman said:
"I call them Ghouls, they seem to fit the profile of a Ghoul better."
I'll second that.
#27 Posted by Driam (156 posts) -
Milkman said:
"But if their not zombies, what are they? Are we going to have to create a "Parasite Infected Spanish Town Folk" concept page?"
They have a name. "Ganados".

And they're not zombies; Leon specifically states that if you examine the first ganado you kill in RE4.
Nope. No zombie.

And Leon knows his zombies.
#28 Posted by Cowman (658 posts) -
CallMeRotten said:
"Cowman said:
"I call them Ghouls, they seem to fit the profile of a Ghoul better."
I'll second that.
"
I don't think either game uses the term ghoul but I think it's a good fit.
To me a zombie is a resurrected corpse.
Ghouls can be resurrected corpses but not all of the time. They are sometimes people that may show signs that would be out of place in a typical human (like feeling little or no pain) but also show some signs that are very common in humans (like speech.)
#29 Posted by sohail12345 (46 posts) -

well i think the zombie concept is gone from the newer re games like 4/5

#30 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

I define anyone who goes UUUUURRRRRRRRRRR and attacks people without actually looking at them as a zombie.

#31 Edited by lilarchie232 (728 posts) -

Parasite
reasons

-I don't believe every one in the game was revived from the dead
-they have bugs that pop of their head
-they don't bite you
-didn't Leon receive a vaccine for the parasite that was injected into him.

Driam said:

And they're not zombies; Leon specifically states that if you examine the first Ganado you kill in RE4.
Nope. No zombie.

And Leon knows his zombies.
"
#32 Posted by Roger_Klotz (764 posts) -

The first resident evils defined zombie pretty well, but as the series continues to grow the zombies are becoming more human. The resident evil plot is not the best to start out with but at least keep the slow but deadly zombies. The 4th one was just a bunch of crazy foreigners yelling at you and attacking you with pitchforks.

#33 Posted by Gamer_152 (14049 posts) -

I remember this issue being brought up on Gamespot before. Still, it's like the whole Headcrab Zombie thing, they may not be true zombies but we got no other word for them.

#34 Edited by Weltal (2272 posts) -

They're not zombies. Their infected with a virus(Or a parasite?) and as far as I know(which isn't far) not undead.

All I know is, they'll never be zombies to me. Just like 28 Days later infected.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.