The name, am I missing something?

#1 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

Just got done watching the Quick Look of ZombiU and from what I can tell the only issue Patrick has is the name. Am I missing something? What's so bad about the name? Or is it not really the name but the constant naming from Nintendo, like what we've seen with the Wii, where a small amount of games had Wii somewhere in the title?

#2 Edited by ShaggE (6719 posts) -

It's incredibly generic, and with the "U" suffix on top of that, one could understandably write it off as shovelware if they aren't familiar with the game.

Edit: Also, with hot AAA bangers like Funky Barn next to it, ZombiU might as well be invisible.

#3 Posted by Icemo (659 posts) -

Yeah, it's that "U" in the back that is the problem for them. Same with 3DS games having a 3D or N64 games having a 64 in the name, can't they really come up with a more original name instead of slapping the game consoles name in it?

#4 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

It just makes it sound like launch shovelware.

#5 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

Makes it sound like its not a game with mature content almost to me in ways, still its just a name so whatever they wanna do i suppose.

#6 Posted by Baillie (4285 posts) -

@Icemo: @FunkasaurasRex: Really? That's the argument for the 'bad' name? I remember when I saw Mario 64 and thought that was just 'shovelware'.

#7 Posted by Spoonman671 (4777 posts) -

It's not that bad.  He's just over-analyzing and placing too much importance on it.

#8 Posted by Butler (392 posts) -

I mean it's not like Nintendo hasn't done it before in the past. As you guys mentioned we all remember a little console called the N64 and some of the greatest games had 64 in the title. I figure they are just adhering to one of their traditions and upholding brand familiarity.

#9 Posted by TheHT (11820 posts) -

So this game has zombies in it and is on the Wii U? Well what if we replaced the last vowel in zombie with a U!

ZombiU [zowm-bijou]!

#10 Posted by Icemo (659 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@Icemo: @FunkasaurasRex: Really? That's the argument for the 'bad' name? I remember when I saw Mario 64 and thought that was just 'shovelware'.

Which one sounds like a better name for a game, The Last of Us or ZombiePS3?

#11 Posted by fiberpay (282 posts) -

They are critics, they got to have something to complain about. Personally, when a critic compains about the name of something it makes me think they are lacking actual useful information.

#12 Edited by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

The generic part I get, I guess I just don't care as much about the name. And sure, there could have been a better name suited for this game, but this is Nintendo and it really shouldn't surprise anyone. I mean, this is a Nintendo game, not a game made by Nintendo...just wanted to clear that up.

#13 Edited by ShaggE (6719 posts) -

@Baillie said:

Nobody has fond memories of playing Super Zombie Bros.

MariU would be a great name, though.

#14 Posted by Strife777 (1614 posts) -

It's just really lazy. ''It's a game about zombies on the Wii U, let's call it ZombiU.'' The name doesn't make any sense, it doesn't represent anything. I understand that's something Nintendo has been doing forever, but compared to ''Super'' or ''64'', adding a U at the end of your game title just looks and sounds bad. I mean, just say it out loud and think about how it sounds.

Nothing to go insane about, it's just a name, but still, they could've tried harder.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (15170 posts) -

@Icemo said:

Yeah, it's that "U" in the back that is the problem for them. Same with 3DS games having a 3D or N64 games having a 64 in the name, can't they really come up with a more original name instead of slapping the game consoles name in it?

Its no more offensive than everything on the SNES having "Super" in the front of it.

#16 Posted by Rafaelfc (1470 posts) -

it becomes more offensive when the sequel gets released ZombiU2

#17 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

If Nintendo wants to add a U to their games I'm fine with that, but I don't understand why 3rd party developers do it too.

#18 Posted by billyhoush (1195 posts) -

Super ZombiU Bros.

#19 Posted by Icemo (659 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Icemo said:

Its no more offensive than everything on the SNES having "Super" in the front of it.

It's 2012. Doesn't anyone at Ubisoft have just a little bit of imagination to come up with a name that would sound awesome and original? Like The Last of Us, that sounds good to my ears.

#20 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

Plus it sounds like it's about a college overrun with zombies.

#21 Posted by Baillie (4285 posts) -

@Icemo: It's called ZombiU simply because it's a sequel to Zombi, I really don't see the big problem.

#22 Posted by Svenzon (731 posts) -

@HarlequinRiot said:

Plus it sounds like it's about a college overrun with zombies.

It makes me think of the Zombie School videos AMC put out as promo material for The Walking Dead.

Also, if the sequel isn't called ZombiU2: Sunday Bloody Sunday someone fucked up bad.

#23 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Japanese pronunciation tends to throw the 'u' sound on the end of single words. Just seems like a bad pun.

#24 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

A lot of people worked really hard on this game. If you're proud of something you've made, you should give it a name that took more than 20 seconds to think of. And if the name went through a rigorous marketing focus test and that was what tested best, that's even worse.

#25 Edited by Icemo (659 posts) -
#26 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

I wonder if Nintendo had anything to do with the name, it sure seems like they did. I'm not saying people can't like the name, I just don't understand why it's such a big deal...or is it a big deal? And I completely understand about all the hard work put into the making of this game, that the name should reflect that. I just would rather have a lazy name than a game that feels lazy, but I haven't played ZombiU, it just seems like a decent title with a lackluster name.

#27 Posted by ThePickle (4169 posts) -

Zombi University.

#28 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

Zombi University.

I honestly thought that's what the U stood for until about a week ago.

#29 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

This looks really fun. I especially like the twist of starting as a new person each time you die. You then go back and fight your previous self to get your gear. I don't own a Wii U so I've watched people play it on YouTube. It makes me want something similar for PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.