ZombieU deja vU. Condemned, anyone?

#1 Edited by hoossy (934 posts) -

So, I was watching the quicklook, pretty interesting too. Far more so than I was expecting.

But, I was having this weird sense of deja vu during much of the video... until it hit me.

This is remarkably like Condemned

-same dark atmospheres, urban environments

-melee hard hitting combat with light gun use

-deranged enemies, jumping out of dark

-use of scanning equipment

In no way am I condemning ZombieU, they clearly have their own things going on too. The management and Dark Souls systems are very cool/suspenseful.

Also, Condemned was a release title too! DEJA VUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

#2 Posted by impartialgecko (1531 posts) -

Except ZombiU has a dumber name and looks painfully clunky.

#3 Edited by handlas (2685 posts) -

Guess so. My brain was making the easier comparison to Dead Island (just much darker). I still think it looks pretty fun... seeing reviews from 4.5 to 8. I liked Dead Island a lot but some things bothered me about it. It kind of hurt my eyes to look at the game for too long because it has some blurry effect or something on it. So I'd probably enjoy this game.

#4 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

I played it for about an hour last night. It has some Condemned influence, but not nearly enough really. There is only one melee weapon and you're never getting quite as brutal as Condemned.

Dead Island is also apt, but you don't have that kind of control over your swings.

#5 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2159 posts) -

The combat is nothing like Condemned. That game actually had different melee weapons and attacks. ZombiU seem to boil down to mindlessly swinging a cricket bat.

#6 Edited by handlas (2685 posts) -

@Manhattan_Project said:

The combat is nothing like Condemned. That game actually had different melee weapons and attacks. ZombiU seem to boil down to mindlessly swinging a cricket bat.

Is there stamina or anything? Kinda sucks that there is only one melee weapon.

#7 Posted by BBAlpert (1490 posts) -

@handlas said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

Is there stamina or anything? Kinda sucks that there is only one melee weapon.

I could be completely wrong, of course, but in the QL it looked like it was all a matter of timing, figuring out the right moment to start your swing.

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11990 posts) -

This is remarkably like New Super Mario Bros. U

• Both are Wii U exclusives
  • Both have U at the end of the name
  • Both are launch titles
  • Both have multiple playable characters
  • Both allow you to leave messages for other people
  • Both are based on games from the 80s
  • Both discourage the use of guns
  • Both are set in Kingdoms (Mushroom Kingdom/United Kingdom)
#9 Posted by Brodehouse (9967 posts) -

Condemned has better first person melee combat than any game released after. It drove me nuts playing Skyrim that their combat was outclassed by a launch game from 6 years previous. It does the key things right; blocking, counter attacking, variety of weapons and attacks, most importantly it had animation that conveyed the combat far better than anyone since. In Skyrim you looked like you were waving a brush at them until they fell over, in Condemned you were fucking CREAMING fools! Rebar bent, motherfucker!

#10 Posted by BoOzak (935 posts) -

I wish ZombiU was more like Condemned, we need another one of those.

The thing ZombiU lacks to me is incentive. As dumb as Condemned's plot turned out to be it had me interested all the way through. ZombiU seems incredibly plain and generic, from what i've seen of it at least.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

A+ for puns in OP.

@hoossy said:

-same dark atmospheres, urban environments

-deranged enemies, jumping out of dark

-use of scanning equipment

The same list can be applied to working in a 7-Eleven in the bad part of town.

#12 Posted by Cybexx (1176 posts) -

I was making the same connection but just a very surface level one. Obviously the combat in Condemned is much more sophisticated and ZombiU is drawing from Demon's Souls for its meta-game philosophy. But I can see the connection between these two launch games on a surface level.

#13 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Only difference is Condemned was a pretty good game.

#14 Posted by WiqidBritt (578 posts) -

@hoossy: pretty much the thought going through my head during that entire quicklook.

#15 Posted by cannonballBAM (603 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

This is remarkably like New Super Mario Bros. U

• Both are Wii U exclusives
  • Both have U at the end of the name
  • Both are launch titles
  • Both have multiple playable characters
  • Both allow you to leave messages for other people
  • Both discourage the use of guns
  • Both are set in Kingdoms (Mushroom Kingdom/United Kingdom)

#16 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

It looks exactly like Condemned, except it looks absolutely nothing like condemned.

#17 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

I didn't know that, so thanks for the info

#18 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

Dude. I want Condemned 3 already.

#19 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

Mentioned a lot all over the place, but WiiU numbered sequels will sound fucking ridiculous, and ZombiU will be among the worst, however the word play in this thread is unashamedly 'great.'

#20 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

The gabe post on PA makes it sound awesome:

"Zombie U

This game is hard as fuck and I’m not sure if I like it yet. The idea is to push through this survival horror game as far as you can. When you die (and you will die) the game doesn’t end. You just wake up in the “safe” house as a different survivor. If you want all your gear back you need to go out and find the zombie version of the character you were just playing, kill them and loot their corpse. My first survivor died almost immediately. My second one lived for about thirty minutes. Long enough to make a run to a nearby grocery store, pick up some food, ammo and hammer. Then she bit it (or got bitten I guess) and I started a new guy. Now I needed all that shit I had scavenged so I had to hunt down my previous self. When I found her she had a red number above her head that showed her score and how long she had survived. I put two bullets in her head and got my candy bars back.

In the space of a couple hours last night I burned through five survivors. I will not lie to you, I was cursing at the TV by the end of the night. Like I said, this game is hard as fuck."

But everything else I read makes it sound shallow and like they relied on poor controls to create tension. Bummer.

#21 Posted by amir90 (2156 posts) -

Nice play on words there mister.

#22 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4368 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Only difference is Condemned was a pretty good game.

#23 Posted by SirShandy (38 posts) -

I'm a really big fan of Condemned and I'm currently playing through ZombiU. Aside from a very dark atmosphere and playing through thoroughly trashed environments, the gameplay is largely different.

Condemned was ultimately a very linear "haunted house" type game. Some of the levels were more open ended, but they you were still going through the game level by level completing a specific goal to beat it. Zombiu is set up more like a metroid game. You do not progress from environment to environment in a way that you can no loner return to previous ones. It's just a step below open world. All locations are connected via a sewer, but if does a great job of making it feel explorative, where you feel you are getting deeper and deeper into foreign territory, then you go through a door or a passageway, and find yourself in a familiar environment and get an idea how everything is connected. This is why I'm reminded of the 2D metroid games, and the Demon/Dark souls games.

Condemned was a lot more combat oriented, which made sense with the crazed hobo's after you. ZombiU forces you to realize that combat is not always the best or most viable option. You are given tools like, flares to try and manipulate the zombies away from your presence, or the environment itself is filled with hidden alternate path's, a la Deus Ex, that will allow you to more sneakily bypass zombies. Also, light and noise will attract them. It's an experience that really varies depending on your play style. It feels a lot more open ended and unpredictable compared to a game like Condemned, which is more of a tightly scripted haunted house experience which was very effective in it's own way.

#24 Posted by MEATBALL (3263 posts) -

You just blew my mind, sir.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.