This game is so, so good.

#1 Edited by csl316 (9217 posts) -

And now that they announced the HD remakes, everyone will finally know about it!  Possibly building even more anticipation for a sequel.

This pleases me greatly.

Gameplay starts around two minutes.  I find it hard to explain what this game's like, so seeing it in motion is the way to go.
#2 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

Yeah.  This game is seriously great.

Only shame is that they probably will give it a proper localization this time around:(

And the fact that they bundled it with ZOE1 kinda worries me. Preemptively :

ZOE1 is a piece of shit game, while ZOE2 is one of the system's best.

#3 Posted by NegativeCero (3024 posts) -

Never played this or the Silent Hill games so I'm happy to try them out.

#4 Posted by csl316 (9217 posts) -
@mutha3: indeed, i'm worried it may scare some people away.  On the upside, the first game is so damn short.  Maybe it'll just wet their appetite for more, or at least show the massive leap that the second game represented.

I'm definitely looking forward to playing the challenges for achievements this time around.  I beat em all before, but achievements!!

And I can't wait to start explaining how to beat the Viola AI on hard mode, again.
#5 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3235 posts) -

I never played the original ZoE, but I played the shit out of the second one. A truly amazing game that I've sadly forgotten. Can't wait to replay it on my 360. :)

#6 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Transfarring. 

2012. 10 bucks says we see this game at NEXT YEAR'S e3.

#7 Posted by csl316 (9217 posts) -
@NegativeCero: Just keep in mind that the sequel is leaps and bounds better than the first.  You can beat the original within 5 hours, and the wow factor that the graphics had back in the day is kind of gone now.  It's fun, but part 2 is way better.

The 2nd Runner has a video recapping the first game, so that's always an option.
#8 Posted by Eidderf (507 posts) -

I'm looking forward to giving these games a go, just out of curiousity since I haven't played either game what recent game would be comparable to the way they play?

#9 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3235 posts) -
@csl316 said:
@NegativeCero: Just keep in mind that the sequel is leaps and bounds better than the first.  You can beat the original within 5 hours, and the wow factor that the graphics had back in the day is kind of gone now.  It's fun, but part 2 is way better.  The 2nd Runner has a video recapping the first game, so that's always an option.
The second game was damned short, too. That was the only problem with ZoE2-- it was TOO FUCKING SHORT!
#10 Posted by csl316 (9217 posts) -
@Eidderf said:

I'm looking forward to giving these games a go, just out of curiousity since I haven't played either game what recent game would be comparable to the way they play?

Well, it's a quickly paced action game, but I can't find a direct comparison due to the flight aspect.  Closest to a 3D character action game, than anything.  You lock onto stuff, and either shoot or melee it.  This video will give you a decent idea:

#11 Posted by csl316 (9217 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
@csl316 said:
@NegativeCero: Just keep in mind that the sequel is leaps and bounds better than the first.  You can beat the original within 5 hours, and the wow factor that the graphics had back in the day is kind of gone now.  It's fun, but part 2 is way better.  The 2nd Runner has a video recapping the first game, so that's always an option.
The second game was damned short, too. That was the only problem with ZoE2-- it was TOO FUCKING SHORT!
I guess if you take away the Kojima cutscenes, you're right.  When I skipped those I could speed run the hell out of it.
#12 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Ken had the most ridiculous boobs I'd seen back in 03.  A lot has changed.
Can't wait to see that damn Vector Cannon again.

#13 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
@csl316 said:
I dunno. It was short, but there wasn't a single wasted moment in those 7-10 hours. It was high paced, balls to the wall action from the moment you hit start game until the credits rolled. There isn't a single moment in ZOE2 were I felt "ugh this is stupid and didn't need to be in the game" It one of the best paced games I've seen in my life along with RE4. I don't know if inflating its length would have been a good idea.
#14 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

I know I beat this game, but I can't remember a damn thing about it...

#15 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3235 posts) -
@csl316 said:

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

@csl316 said:
I guess if you take away the Kojima cutscenes, you're right.  When I skipped those I could speed run the hell out of it.
It could've been that. But I swore that throughout my 50 playthroughs of the game that I always reviewed the cutscenes, and still carried the thought that it was short. Maybe it's because the gameplay was so damned good that I wanted more of it. It's just been so long ago. It's all a blur to me.
#16 Posted by csl316 (9217 posts) -
@ervonymous: There's a reason the Gamefaqs board for ZOE 2 had a Ken's Breasts topic going for over 5 years.  And whenever one was locked, a new one would arise.
#17 Posted by csl316 (9217 posts) -
@mutha3: You're right, this game didn't drag at all and was truly one of the best games Kojima's ever done.  And this came out back when I had time to beat games multiple times, so I replayed the crap out of it and never got bored.
#18 Edited by SMTDante89 (2611 posts) -

I feel this should come out before the Metal Gear Solid collection so there will be an HD demo for Metal Gear Solid 2...

#19 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1770 posts) -

I completely missed out on this game when it was first released. Glad to hear that it is being released again.

#20 Posted by StarvingGamer (8456 posts) -

I can't wait to buy it again for the first time and help fund development of ZoE3 FUCK Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh!

#21 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3108 posts) -

ZoE has always been pretty awesome, but way too short.  Think we'll get Viola back again in the third game?  The Neith was always the coolest mech.

#22 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Maybe this is Kojima's way of announcing Zone of the Enders 3. 

Just saying.

#23 Posted by csl316 (9217 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad: Neith was a ton of fun to use in the vs. modes.  Fast as hell.
#24 Posted by Icemael (6352 posts) -

I wish Kojima would just throw Metal Gear in the bin and go back to making Zone of the Enders.

#25 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

ZoE2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I will purchase multiple copies of this if it helps fund a new ZoE game.

#26 Posted by YI_Orange (1168 posts) -

I tried playing this game relatively recently and got my ass kicked so hard really early on. Right after the fight with the guy from the first game piloting Vic Viper. Those enemy generators coupled with the enemies that shoot death lasers was just too tough for me with the combat system.
#27 Posted by HonoredSamurai (106 posts) -

The greatness of Z.O.E.  is not widespread enough. So many good things in this game that have not made their way into contemporary games it's a fucking mystery. Let's hope this thing explodes into popularity this time around

#28 Posted by csl316 (9217 posts) -
@YI_Orange said:
I tried playing this game relatively recently and got my ass kicked so hard really early on. Right after the fight with the guy from the first game piloting Vic Viper. Those enemy generators coupled with the enemies that shoot death lasers was just too tough for me with the combat system.
There were definitely some difficulty spikes in the game.  I eventually beat the game on hard, but it was no easy task (I vividly remember two particular sequences to this day).  I felt the combat in this grew to be a bit more complex, as well as more tactical due to the now-useful subweapons.  If you ever give it another go, just keep in mind that the story gets quite good later on.  And if that's not motivating enough for you, just wait for the trophies or achievements, lol.
#29 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I never played the ZOE games because I've always hated mech games... but HOLY SHIT.  That looks like a shit load of fun.  I missed out.

Can't wait for the remakes now.

#30 Posted by captain_clayman (3326 posts) -

i have never EVER played either of these games.  guess i should give the HD version a shot.

#31 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I never played the two games, really stoked for the HD collection
#32 Edited by csl316 (9217 posts) -
@xobballox said:

I never played the ZOE games because I've always hated mech games... but HOLY SHIT.  That looks like a shit load of fun.  I missed out.  Can't wait for the remakes now.

The nice thing about ZOE 2 is the variety.  The core gameplay is fun, but they mix it up quite a bit, including some truly intense boss battles.  Not quite as true with the original.

Here's one of my favorite sequences.  I hate to resort to Youtube videos, but explaining this game is just tough to do.

@SMTDante89 said:
I feel this should come out before the Metal Gear Solid collection so there will be an HD demo for Metal Gear Solid 2...
That's pretty hilarious, btw.  The good old days, when I'd go into a video store to rent a demo disc (til I wised up and finally bought ZOE).
#33 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@csl316 said:

@xobballox said:

I never played the ZOE games because I've always hated mech games... but HOLY SHIT.  That looks like a shit load of fun.  I missed out.  Can't wait for the remakes now.

The nice thing about ZOE 2 is the variety.  The core gameplay is fun, but they mix it up quite a bit, including some truly intense boss battles.  Not quite as true with the original.

Here's one of my favorite sequences.  I hate to resort to Youtube videos, but explaining this game is just tough to do.

@SMTDante89 said:

That's pretty hilarious, btw.  The good old days, when I'd go into a video store to rent a demo disc (til I wised up and finally bought ZOE).
Wow, that looks insanely fun.
#34 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

The game is so fucken epic, I can't wait for it. Going to buy two copies.

You should of posted this video, if you never played the game, you must watch this video.  Better to click on it, you get a bigger widescreen video.

#35 Posted by csl316 (9217 posts) -

@HitmanAgent47: yeah, i should've. i remember seeing that back in the day and becoming hyped beyond all reason. the "this is the will of Metatron" part with Anubis blew my mind.

#36 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Oh look, the cock-cockpit-robots! I only played the first game and I was too young to understand shit. It was horrible. I just want my damn ICO HD and The Last Guardian.

#37 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

They need to put in an inverted Y this time.

#38 Posted by phish09 (1110 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
Yeah.  This game is seriously great.  Only shame is that they probably will give it a proper localization this time around:(  And the fact that they bundled it with ZOE1 kinda worries me. Preemptively :  ZOE1 is a piece of shit game, while ZOE2 is one of the system's best.
I could see that.  I've only played part of the first Sly game so far in that Sly collection and I have no desire to keep playing it or the other two, even though the other two may be better, but that first game has aged horribly.  
#39 Posted by Gazel_Ministry (125 posts) -

One thing I remember well about ZOE2 was the framerate issues I had playing it on my old PS2. Don't think that will be an issue now. Can't wait for it.

#40 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@phish09 said:
@mutha3 said:
Yeah.  This game is seriously great.  Only shame is that they probably will give it a proper localization this time around:(  And the fact that they bundled it with ZOE1 kinda worries me. Preemptively :  ZOE1 is a piece of shit game, while ZOE2 is one of the system's best.
I could see that.  I've only played part of the first Sly game so far in that Sly collection and I have no desire to keep playing it or the other two, even though the other two may be better, but that first game has aged horribly.  
Argh! That's exactly what I'm scared of with this ZOE collection. People play the 1st game and(understandbly) decide they aren't going to slog through the second......even though its light years ahead of the first.

If you try out 1 and don't like it, please give 2 a chance. They fixed pretty much everything wrong with  the first one.
#41 Posted by csl316 (9217 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

. If you try out 1 and don't like it, please give 2 a chance. They fixed pretty much everything wrong with the first one.

When the game's released, everyone needs to be aware of this fact.

#42 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

Argh! That's exactly what I'm scared of with this ZOE collection. People play the 1st game and(understandbly) decide they aren't going to slog through the second......even though its light years ahead of the first. If you try out 1 and don't like it, please give 2 a chance. They fixed pretty much everything wrong with the first one.

Wow, I must have some hardcore nostalgia for the first game, because I remember it being awesome. That may have been because it was probably.. the 2nd game I played on my PS2?

Psyched this is getting the HD treatment. I'll finally get to play through 2nd Runner at my own pace, rather than blazing through it that one night that my friend brought it over.

#43 Posted by doe3879 (814 posts) -

Like many have stated. The 1st ZOE wasn't impressive, it was more like a tech demo with Metal Gear demo packed in.

but The 2nd Runner was freaking AWESOME. I wish they would just release that on it's own for Download, so that I don't have to put in the disc to replay all the bonus modes on ZOE2. Oh did I mention the Bonus modes were awesome aswell? I lost count of the number of hours I spent on survival mode alone.

Maybe Konami could pack in the anime movie as well to complete the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.