Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 03, 2002

The Fist of Mars (known as Zone of the Enders: Testament in Japan) is the first and only portable version game of the Zone of the Enders series.

Has Anyone Here Played This GBA ZoE?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

I've seen a Japanese GBA copy that's going cheap, I'm just wondering how it compares to the other games in the series, and if it worth getting.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By rinkalicous
    @Linkyshinks: I LOVE this game. Love love love love loooooove this game. It's like Advance Wars made a beautiful, sexy, amazing wonderful baby with a Japanese RPG. Then, just before it was born, the doctor altered it's genes slightly to give it a slight action edge. 

I've played it through 5 times; the first 4 I didn't even realise it had multiple endings, so of course I had to play it again with the different ending (which changes 50%+ of the game). Assuming you can read Japanese for the slightly hit-and-miss (yet still lovable) story, I will forever lose respect for you if you pass up on this game. 

Of course, this could be a form of nostalgia skewing my judgement, but still, I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants some Turn Based Strategy action. Even if you suck at Turn Based games, hitting and missing with attacks is all skill based (and, tbh, way too easy) meaning you can make stupid tactical decisions and still come out without a scratch as long as you've got the skills. Due to this, I now play without the action sequences, instead relying on dice rolls, meaning the battles become much more of a challenge. Anyway, game is great. Buy it.

That being said, it's NOTHING like the PS2 games.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Rinkalicous:  

Thanks man, I shall. I kinda guessed it was far removed from the PS2 games when looking at the back of the box. It's dirt cheap and in great condition too. 

Thanks again.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dbz1995
    @Rinkalicous said:
    " @Linkyshinks: I LOVE this game. Love love love love loooooove this game. It's like Advance Wars made a beautiful, sexy, amazing wonderful baby with a Japanese RPG. Then, just before it was born, the doctor altered it's genes slightly to give it a slight action edge.  I've played it through 5 times; the first 4 I didn't even realise it had multiple endings, so of course I had to play it again with the different ending (which changes 50%+ of the game). Assuming you can read Japanese for the slightly hit-and-miss (yet still lovable) story, I will forever lose respect for you if you pass up on this game.   Of course, this could be a form of nostalgia skewing my judgement, but still, I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants some Turn Based Strategy action. Even if you suck at Turn Based games, hitting and missing with attacks is all skill based (and, tbh, way too easy) meaning you can make stupid tactical decisions and still come out without a scratch as long as you've got the skills. Due to this, I now play without the action sequences, instead relying on dice rolls, meaning the battles become much more of a challenge. Anyway, game is great. Buy it.That being said, it's NOTHING like the PS2 games. "
    So does it play a bit like Fire Emblem?
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By spaceturtle

I didnt even know this was released... I loved the first one on Playstation 2 thou. Actually, I just got info that a sequal to ZeO was released - 2nd Runners. I have plans to check that out.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rinkalicous
    @dbz1995: Pretty much. Your guys can't 'die' forever, but they do level up, and you can use your money to upgrade their attacks or shields. Also, there's not really any 'rock/paper/scissors' system. There's ranged and non-ranged attacks, but apart from that, a stronger attack is always going to be better. It's balanced by stronger attacks being way harder to hit with, and some of the really OTT moves have limits to how much you use them, or can only be used when your characters are in high 'spirits' (usually dictated by story situations, but can also be slightly affected in-game, e.g. destroying a particularly strong guy).
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Turambar
    @dbz1995 said:
    " @Rinkalicous said:
    " @Linkyshinks: I LOVE this game. Love love love love loooooove this game. It's like Advance Wars made a beautiful, sexy, amazing wonderful baby with a Japanese RPG. Then, just before it was born, the doctor altered it's genes slightly to give it a slight action edge.  I've played it through 5 times; the first 4 I didn't even realise it had multiple endings, so of course I had to play it again with the different ending (which changes 50%+ of the game). Assuming you can read Japanese for the slightly hit-and-miss (yet still lovable) story, I will forever lose respect for you if you pass up on this game.   Of course, this could be a form of nostalgia skewing my judgement, but still, I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants some Turn Based Strategy action. Even if you suck at Turn Based games, hitting and missing with attacks is all skill based (and, tbh, way too easy) meaning you can make stupid tactical decisions and still come out without a scratch as long as you've got the skills. Due to this, I now play without the action sequences, instead relying on dice rolls, meaning the battles become much more of a challenge. Anyway, game is great. Buy it.That being said, it's NOTHING like the PS2 games. "
    So does it play a bit like Fire Emblem? "
    It is a tactics game, but it's be more accurate to say that it's a Super Robot Taisen clone than it is a Fire Emblem game.  You upgrade your units, repair them if they get destroyed, and have various pilot skills that you can use mid fight.  Basically, go watch any gameplay video of Super Robot Wars Original Generation and you'll know what Fist of Mars is.  The only thing that makes Fist of Mars different is it gives you this mini-gameesque targetting sequence.  On your attack, you need to move your targeting reticule over a moving enemy bot on the screen.  On their attack, you need to move your reticule to keep it from being targeted.  It breaks the game quite a bit considering how easy it is to never get hit.

Overall, it's a decent game, but it's not that great.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Skald

Some guy in my electro tech class played it all the time. He was always a bit odd though...

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By raviolisumo

I had this when I was a kid. I recall it being fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.