Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zork I: The Great Underground Empire

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released February 1981

West of House. You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

What are the all time best text adventures?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Daveyo520

I feel like playing some old text adventure games but I don't really know what the classics are and would like to see if you guys can list any. I know of Zork, but i have never actually played it and will be getting around to fixing that. Any recommendations or a definitive list would be nice.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By me3639

Just google Infocom games. that should give you a pretty good list. I played, or at least tried, all the Zork titles, Hitcher's Guide, and Planetfall. All are free to DL if im not mistaken.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Daveyo520
    @me3639: Thank you.
    LOTR_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By LOTR_Dan

Oh man, Zork is ROUGH to get into. While revolutionary, it is far from the best text adventure.

The Douglas Adam written "Bureaucracy" and "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy" are solid choices, and damn funny. "Luring Horror" is quite good, one of the first real horror games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@LOTR_Dan: I think you mean "Lurking Horror". :-)

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Crap. You people just ate up all my free time for the next three weeks.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Hey necro thread.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is cool, but it's really hard. I always liked the Alice in Wonderland ones (there's a couple- one has pictures, the other doesn't), and The Mist is really good too. They're all really unforgiving games, though. I think the Alice in Wonderland ones (at least one of them ) has a timer. It's kind of nuts- even for the 80s and 90s when I originally played them.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By duke_of_the_bump

I recommend Photopia

Edit: Dang it, what's with all the new posters bumping 3-year-old threads? Why, it's almost like they're spamming their crappy wordpress sites or something.

Oh well. Recommendation of Photopia still stands.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#10 fisk0  Moderator
    BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BradBrains

@me3639 said:

Just google Infocom games. that should give you a pretty good list. I played, or at least tried, all the Zork titles, Hitcher's Guide, and Planetfall. All are free to DL if im not mistaken.

there is a phone port too which is the perfect place for them.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked what I played of Zork, need to get back to that.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I liked EAMON. What is Eamon? Eamon is the classic text adventuring series begun in the early 1980's by Don Brown who invented the gaming system for the Apple II. Numerous authors in the early 80s up until today have created hundred of adventures with settings and scenarios ranging from D&D through science fiction like Star Trek and Star Wars.

It was all classic text-adventure stuff like early ZORK, but all freely traded around by gamers in little plastic baggies with discsketts in them. EAMON is very simplistic it likely has about as much vocabulary as the first Zork game, but is some what more serious depending on who made the world. I think the Star Wars scenario, The Death Star by Donald Brown, was especially well made.

The fun thing about these 40 year old games is they are tough and eccentric in a way only early games were made.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.