Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zynga

Company »

Zynga is a developer famous for creating social online games for Facebook. They have recently started moving those apps onto the iPhone.

Omgpop developer decides against joining Zynga after buyout.

eloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By eloj

Did one man alone resist when Zynga bought out Draw Something developer Omgpop? His reasoning is one I share, especially with regard to being able to fully own and control projects I make on my own time.

"Zynga has an Austin studio, where several good friends of mine work. Yet I had never applied to Zynga. Why? Because the company's values are completely opposed to my own values, professionally and creatively. Because I believe that developers are at the front lines of game development and deserve to be treated well, and I didn't trust Zynga to do so. All this was still true -- except that their complete unwillingness to negotiate with me only confirmed my concerns. Why on earth was I even considering joining?" 
    Full story at Gamasutra: "Turning down Zynga: Why I opted out of the $210M Omgpop buy"
    eloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By eloj

Did one man alone resist when Zynga bought out Draw Something developer Omgpop? His reasoning is one I share, especially with regard to being able to fully own and control projects I make on my own time.

"Zynga has an Austin studio, where several good friends of mine work. Yet I had never applied to Zynga. Why? Because the company's values are completely opposed to my own values, professionally and creatively. Because I believe that developers are at the front lines of game development and deserve to be treated well, and I didn't trust Zynga to do so. All this was still true -- except that their complete unwillingness to negotiate with me only confirmed my concerns. Why on earth was I even considering joining?" 
    Full story at Gamasutra: "Turning down Zynga: Why I opted out of the $210M Omgpop buy"
    falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By falling_fast

cool. eff zynga.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Bell_End

id of taken the cash and got the fuck out of there and spent the rest of my life driving ferrari's and living the player life style

9999dmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By 9999dmg

Good on this guy, it would have been really sad if Zynga claimed ownership of his indie game.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

Interesting article. Shay Pierce seems like an okay dude.

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By moncole

@Bell_End said:

id of taken the cash and got the fuck out of there and spent the rest of my life driving ferrari's and living the player life style

I would have done that too. But I guess he can make money in the long run.

eloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eloj

You do realize you're talking about a non-existing option? He got paid for his stake in the company: "I had a small amount of equity in Omgpop, I received a compensation for that, and that was never at stake in this decision. The amount is not going to change my life [..]"

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By ADAMWD

I don't know the stipulations of Zynga's deal regarding employee retention, or if the OMGPOP guys have to work there for a set number of years to receive the sum, but to turn down 30 million dollars because your employer doesn't share your ideologies is insane. Virtually every mass market corporation that has a wide profit margin bases their decisions on maximizing cash return. Just because you work for a company like that doesn't mean you have to adopt their line of thinking.

I get that the guy loves working independently and has an immense passion for the work he does, and wants to continue working on his own terms. But, the money he would receive would not only change his life, but would enable him to change the lives of those he cares about as well, and would set him and his family for life. Not to mention that working for Zynga doesn't mean that he can't continue to develop side projects of his own on his free time (which he would have much more resources to work with).

At any rate, I wish the best for this guy and hope that he is happy with his decision a few years from now, and that everything works out for him like he's envisioning.

eloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eloj
    @ADAMWD: Where are you getting your information? Basically nothing you wrote lines up with the article linked. There is not mention of any "$30M" and I can assure you that Zynga most definitely would claim any work he did in his spare time for their own (if turned out to be successful). Am I talking with robots? Are you trolling me?
    ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By ADAMWD

@eloj: It was mentioned on the Tested podcast that all the employees of OMGPOP were offered 30 million dollars to be retained as employees of Zynga.

eloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eloj

If any employee were in fact offered $30M just to go over (in other words; excluding money they'd be due in any case from having an equity stake in the company), we can be reasonably sure that Shay Pierce was not in that class given that he makes no mention of it.

eloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eloj

Shit just hit the fan. reddit 
    "The one omgpop employee who turned down joining Zynga was the weakest one on the whole team. Selfish people make bad games. Good riddance!" -- Dan Porter
    "What's so interesting about success is the number of failures who try to ride on your back. Shay Pierce is just one of many..." -- Dan Porter

Dan Porter is "CEO of omgpop. very poor gardener. Eagles fan, creator of epic game Draw Something"

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Hah well, incur the wrath of the anti-dicks-on-twitter brigade at your own risk. This guy won't be able to do anything on the internet anymore without getting 3 tonnes of shit dropped on him.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@eloj:

Don't forget the hoodie shit.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By Jost1

@eloj said:

Shit just hit the fan. reddit
    "The one omgpop employee who turned down joining Zynga was the weakest one on the whole team. Selfish people make bad games. Good riddance!" -- Dan Porter
    "What's so interesting about success is the number of failures who try to ride on your back. Shay Pierce is just one of many..." -- Dan Porter Dan Porter is "CEO of omgpop. very poor gardener. Eagles fan, creator of epic game Draw Something"

hahaha this is going to blow up in a huge way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.