Does paying for premium remove ads from old bombcasts?

Carnage1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Recently, current ad reads started showing up in the old bombcast episodes for me (all the way back to Arrow Pointing Down). They are insanely frequent, long, and super annoying. I listen to old episodes to fall asleep, will paying for premium again remove them?

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have a premium account and I log in with Chrome.

Bombcast 01/28/2014 (picked at random):

Chrome - Ad right at the beginning on the free stream which disappears when I switch to the premium version.

Firefox - Not logged in - selecting the premioum stream, the "get premium" graphic appears and the play button disappears. Switch to free stream and I hear an advert at the start as expected.

Listening to Arrow Pointing Down Bombcasts on either brower from 2018 in the same way I don't hear an ad at the start or skipping through (very quickly), so I don't know what I'm looking for. A timestamp would help, but if you want to make sure before parting with money then it would be best to ask @dtoast about this as the community manager. HTH

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Recently, current ad reads started showing up in the old bombcast episodes for me (all the way back to Arrow Pointing Down). They are insanely frequent, long, and super annoying. I listen to old episodes to fall asleep, will paying for premium again remove them?

@mekon said:

I have a premium account and I log in with Chrome.

Bombcast 01/28/2014 (picked at random):

Chrome - Ad right at the beginning on the free stream which disappears when I switch to the premium version.

Firefox - Not logged in - selecting the premioum stream, the "get premium" graphic appears and the play button disappears. Switch to free stream and I hear an advert at the start as expected.

Listening to Arrow Pointing Down Bombcasts on either brower from 2018 in the same way I don't hear an ad at the start or skipping through (very quickly), so I don't know what I'm looking for. A timestamp would help, but if you want to make sure before parting with money then it would be best to ask @dtoast about this as the community manager. HTH

Yeah, I can ping @dtoast, but when you say "frequent" what time gap are you suggesting?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There isn't even a full archive of the Bombcast anymore, so don't count on being able to re-listen to them at all

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5 dtoast  Staff

Yes, getting premium should remove any ads; if it doesn't, I definitely want to know.

Carnage1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hey everyone, thanks for the info. I realize I should've been way more specific. I'm listening to the old bombcasts on my iPad using the Overcast app. And when I say frequent, I mean it. I get a 1-2 minute ad break every 15-20 minutes, it's insane. An example of an inserted ad, in the 9/24/2013 bombcast an ad starts at 1:53:51, and lasts until 1:54:52 in the version I have downloaded, I'm not streaming them.

Thanks for all the help!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@dtoast: @carnage1290: To possibly expand on this, this sounds a lot like another thread from a couple years back. If it's an unrelated issue then sorry for wasting everyone's time, but here:

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bombcast-32/getting-ads-before-old-podcasts-despite-being-a-pr-1899443/

Rorie's explanation at that time:

"Premium podcasts should not have ads inserted into them, but unfortunately most of the older podcasts before we started doing podcast ads do not have Premium versions published on our side of things. So even if you're Premium and logged in, there is no Premium version of the older podcasts, and as such you're getting the free version with the automatic ad stitched in. This isn't complicated to fix on a case-by-case basis (Jeff already fixed the one you linked above), but it's a bit time consuming."

I don't know if the old podcast archive was entirely fixed, as it sounds like Rorie fixed episodes one-by-one. Maybe only got to some of them. Or maybe a change in ad service or how the podcast feeds work has reintroduced this problem?

My guess is that some variation of this explanation (on old episodes there is no premium version, only free-with-ads version) is to blame for any time the podcast RSS feed/a podcast app/the site player/the site download grabs an old podcast episode that has ads even if you're premium. Or if I'm completely off-base and this is some new problem, my bad!