What are your thoughts on my first pc build?

SenArmstrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This build is a rough first draft for a pc that I'm planning to build.

Built for playing modern mmorpg games like final fantasy 14 on 1080p 144hz max settings

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gtZFxs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - 200$ | GPU: XFX Speedster Radeon RX 6600 - 310$ | Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH - 160$ | RAM: ADATA 16 GB - 80$ | SSD: Verbatim Vi550 SATA III 512gb - 50$ | PSU: SilverStone SST-SX500-LG v 2.0 500gb - 160$ | CPU FAN: Thermaltake UX 100 - 16$ | Screen: MSI Optix G272 - 330$ | Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C - 110$

Total cost: 1416$

Are any parts here overpriced or overkill? What are your thoughts on this build?

I live in Europe btw. Unlimited budget.

2) Would it be a good idea to buy a standard atx mobo with many pcie slots and a ryzen 7000 cpu , so then I upgrade in the far future I won't need to spend on a new mobo and cpu and this way save money?

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it a ton :)

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

If playing Final Fantasy XIV is really your only goal in this future PC setup, then what you have should be good enough. I personally would spend a little more and get a 6600xt or 6700xt for some future proofing.

Everything else is fine.

SenArmstrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@av_gamer: Future proofing for final fantasy 14? Or what?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Looks good I'm always a stickler for finding RAM with lower CAS and even timings, but I'm not expert if that really matters for the sort of gaming you will be doing let alone teh gaming I do. ;-)

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would spend the extra $50 and jump up to the 5800X if they're priced like they are here in the US.

I see plastic peg things for the mounting mechanism of that heatsink. It's also rated for 65w. If you jump to the 5800, then it's a no go. Even for a 5600, it'll get toasty and loud.

Those things are the worst. If you really have more in the budget, I would replace that heatsink fan. Not just for better thermals, but for ease of installation. Those plastic pegs really are the worst. Also, if you're sensitive to noise, that heatsink/fan combo might be annoyingly loud. If you don't want to spend a -lot- on cooling, you can get a decent tower type cooler from Scythe or Noctua for around $50.

A SATA SSD is ok. But they're much slower than an NVME drive - 512GB is also... pretty small. I would slap in a 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME at the very least. Since you mentioned unlimited budget. They're easy to install before your computer is done, but after the fact and they may require disassembly.

You will also need additional case fan(s). Better to install them now than later. If you're sensitive to noise, you may want to replace them all.

Don't know anything about your ram config there, but Ryzen likes faster memory. Something like Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 shouldn't be too much more.

I'd also maybe consider jumping up to a 6700xt. Future proofing and all.

Ryzen 7 series is -expensive- currently. Your prices will jump considerably if you look at that route.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Don't buy a 6600, it's just not a very good card for the money. Final Fantasy may not be new, but it's definitely far from the lightest MMO out there, I think the next expansion is coming with some visual enhancements so that will make a difference with performance. Get a 6600 XT at a minimum, unless the 6600 XT is priced more than $50 more than the 6600.

The CPU and motherboard combo is fine, personally I prefer full size ATX builds. You won't be adding any cards beyond your GPU(Maybe a capture card) but some of these new cards are getting awfully chonky which could get tight in your MATX case. Also the 5600 comes with a cooler, the UX 100 will perform similarly or worse and that's not going to be much of help to you in the long run. You could spend the extra cash on a X670 and 7600X, but at that point you're also spending extra on the board, DDR5 and it WILL require a decent cooler that I promise you won't be $16. Personally I wouldn't recommend it as for gaming that money would be better spent on a better GPU.

Side notes, the amount of storage and the PSU is also kind of anemic.