How much cardio improvement if I'm going to cut 50lb of fat

christruk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I used to wrestle chubby at 87 kg (191lb) with 23-25% bodyfat And in offseason I really went overboard and got to close to 220lb I wrestled for first time in months and I was doing good first 30seconds of going live then i get very tired I was really gassed out and I know I cant be like that if I start competing again.

So I decided to get lean and wrestle at lower weightclass probably around 170lb.

Anyone experienced losing a lot of weight and then wrestled again? Also what sort of gym/cardio program should I use.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

If you're speaking about high-school wrestling, then you should have this discussion with your coaches.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I dont know anything about wrestling - but if you want to loose weight while still maintaining or gaining muscle you need to eat a very, very high protein diet in caloric deficit. Its been a while since I've researched it and cant remember the exact numbers - but I've always had lots of success by just cooking and eating nice chicken recipes and your regular whey protein regime when you're training.

Keep a calorie log book until you have an idea about the foods you eat and how much you need to eat or cut out to meet the rate of fatloss you want.

That being said the overwhelming majority of your success will hinge on your discipline and training.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

do the high protein thing and for the love of god please make sure you eat vegetables regularly. it's too easy to just eat all protein and then have some serious deficiencies in your diet.

cuckfupertino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Swimming, cycling, rowing (e.g., erg machine), and running are great cardio exercises! Running is probably the worst on that list because it is the most impact-heavy.

I don't have a program for you to follow for your needs, as I come from a competitive mid-distance and distance running background myself. In my adulthood I've transitioned to cycling due to impact-related injuries. Here's my advice when it comes to cardio, though:

Get a good heart rate sensor and moderate your efforts based on time and effort as expressed by heart rate. Ignore distance as much as you can. Keep your efforts below or well below your anaerobic threshold. Lots of formulas to use to calculate that, but generally speaking for a person my age and relative athletic ability, exceeding 150 BPM (beats per minute) is exerting myself too much when doing cardio. (There are specific and deliberate reasons you might exceed that threshold for endurance training, but I don't see how those fit with your current goals).

Hope that helps! I am not an expert, just speaking from personal experience and the few books I've read on endurance running.