Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Some questions from a new Wii U owner

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

So I just weathered the horribleness of going out to stores for Black Friday (first and last time), and I ended up buying the Wii U bundle that came w/ Smash Bros. and Splatoon, I also picked up a discounted Super Mario Maker. Now as a new Wii U owner, I have some questions, mainly about controllers that I can't seem to find a answer for.
    1. Do all Wii U games support the Pro Controller? If so, is that a good purchase to make?
    2. Do I need to buy a Wiimote and Nunchuck if I want to play all the Wii games I missed by not owning one or can I play those with the Pro Controller/Gamepad?
    3. What are some sleeper "good" games that I should check out that are on Wii U/Wii?

I am really excited to dig into Mario Maker and Splatoon, and to check out Smash Bros. since I have never played one before. Also side note: Walmart is very, very, very not organized or ready for Black Friday, and they had the stuff in the weirdest places.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

1. No, but I'm pretty sure it works with most Nintendo published titles. I've never bought or felt the need to, but if you don't like the gamepad, it probably is.

2. Yes, unfortunately you cannot use the Gamepad or Wii U Pro controller to play Wii games. :/

3. Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 get a lot praise, there's demos for both on the eshop if you wanna try them out. ZombiU is on other platforms but it made some interesting uses of the gamepad and was an alright game. (It too has a demo)

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

1. Just from my experience but 95% of games i played support the pro controller so if you prefer it get one. Zombiu was only one that did not work and game was meh, every Nintendo game i have tried has so far. Almost all Nintendo games will support all kinda controls like wii mote, gamepad and pro controller.

2. Of course you do how can you emulate a wii game with the original controller when the games were designed for it and motion.

3. The Wonderful 101 (Biggest sleeper hit dont hear much about it but amazing!), Splatoon, Bayonetta 2, , Pikmin , Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Yoshi's Woolly World. There are many more exclusives like mario games, zelda, smash etc.

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cooperb212

@turtlebird95 said:

1. No, but I'm pretty sure it works with most Nintendo published titles. I've never bought or felt the need to, but if you don't like the gamepad, it probably is.

2. Yes, unfortunately you cannot use the Gamepad or Wii U Pro controller to play Wii games. :/

3. Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 get a lot praise, there's demos for both on the eshop if you wanna try them out. ZombiU is on other platforms but it made some interesting uses of the gamepad and was an alright game. (It too has a demo)

?????? What games dont work with it? Zelda, Mario and most games i tried do. Wind Waker, Bayonetta 2 and Mario games worked for me.

Most games i would say are better with gamepad anyway but you can use pro controller is most games if you don't like it.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Definitely check out Zombiu.

Bayonetta 2, Wind Water HD, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, New Super Mario Bros U, Shovel Knight, Super Mario 3D World.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@cooperb212 said:
    @turtlebird95 said:

?????? What games dont work with it? Zelda, Mario and most games i tried do. Wind Waker, Bayonetta 2 and Mario games worked for me.

Most games i would say are better with gamepad anyway but you can use pro controller is most games if you don't like it.

The question was if the pro controller works with all Wii U games, which it technically doesn't. Like I said, most titles published by Nintendo should work with it.

retsuseiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By retsuseiba

Here are some of the Wii U games that don't support the Wii U Pro:

- Any game being played on "Wii Mode" (the Wii U Gamepad won't work either, you'll have to use a Wii Remote + Nunchuk, or a Wii Remote + Classic Pro depending on the game)

- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

- Fatal Frame 5

- Game & Wario

- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

- Lego City Undercover

- Nintendo Land

- Pushmo World

- Sonic Lost World (single player mode)

- Splatoon (it's only supported on the Battle Dojo, which is a local mp mode)

- ZombiU (single player mode)

This reddit thread includes a few more titles that I don't own/never tried myself: https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/2bb3hb/list_of_multiplayer_games_the_pro_controller/

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Thanks guys for the answers, I am actually surprised that Wiimotes are as expensive as they are, $39.99 for a new one at Walmart, and 15$ for the Nunchuck. I looked on Ebay if I could fine some cheap ones, but a lot of them are off brand ones, I don't know if I should get those are just spend the extra money for the official Nintendo ones.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd recommend buying the official ones with the wii motion plus built in.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think ive had a game since the release of the pro controller that you cant use the gamepad.

though some nintendo games require you to have the gamepad on to use it.

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys for the answers, I am actually surprised that Wiimotes are as expensive as they are, $39.99 for a new one at Walmart, and 15$ for the Nunchuck. I looked on Ebay if I could fine some cheap ones, but a lot of them are off brand ones, I don't know if I should get those are just spend the extra money for the official Nintendo ones.

Just make sure it has wii motion plus built in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.