Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

007: The World is Not Enough

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 01, 2000

The World Is Not Enough, a video game adaption of the actual hollywood movie, follows James Bond on his secret mission both to unravel the mysterious intentions of a femmè fatale called Elektra King and to uncover the plans of his vicious counterpart Renard.

Playing all the video games - Part 000010

F1000003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

Edited By F1000003

I am continuing with the rather futile task of playing all the video games.

I tried to play 007: The World is Not Enough for the N64 earlier today, but my controller pack (memory card) has become corrupt. So while I wait for a new one to arrive, I thought I'd take another crack at the appalling Gameboy Color version.

Game 000010: 007: The World is Not Enough (Gameboy Color)

007: The World is Not Enough begins as a difficult, but possible, top down shooter. It ended for me, after sinking five hours into the toughest stealth level (mission four of eight), that I have ever played. You can check out this guy on YouTube struggle through it, (it soon gets tedious), and he's playing with save states on an emulator!

007: The World is Not Enough (GBC)

The World is Not Enough is slightly unusual in as much as all three versions of the game had different developers. The N64 version seems to be considered similar, but superior, to the PlayStation game - whereas relatively little information about the Gameboy Color version, developed by 2n Productions, seems to be available on the internet. I do wonder if perhaps no reviewer managed to progress far enough with it to give it a thorough appraisal, (have I mentioned that this game is virtually impossible yet?) Although I also observe that this was released on 11 September 2001, so an alternative hypothesis is that the world was too distracted by the tragic events of that day to pay this game any attention.

The level design is rather... shocking.

Each of the four levels I played essentially were essentially of the same format. Navigate around some sort of maze, (in one case literally a hedge maze), while trying too much damage. If you're health bar fully depletes you lose, and you must start again from the beginning. The world is full of identical villains who despite being cosmetically indistinguishable from each other seem to fall into one of three AI types which determine under what circumstances they will detect and chase you. Not being able to predict how each enemy will react until you have been detected makes this a frustrating game of trial and error... if they'd just made the minor adjustment of giving the AI types different coloured suits then this may have added an interesting puzzle element - as it is, it is just a dull memory exercise for when you inevitably get caught of guard, take too much damage and have to restart the level with a little bit more hindsight.

These guys are everywhere!

The guns in this game require you to continually shoot and move in order to avoid taking return fire - fine - but each time you punch a guy he is temporarily stunned allowing you to punch him again. Unarmed combat soon becomes the unsatisfying method of choice, as on average this approach means you take much less damage. If the levels were say split into two, then you'd probably have more fun sticking with the guns - but the missions are so long and bland, that there really is a huge disincentive to having to restart them.

Although this game did suffer from the same issue as the top down shooter for the Gameboy Advance, 007: Everything or Nothing, that the screen was just slightly too zoomed in to get a sense of where you were - to this games credit, at least the enemies don't spot you until they are one the same screen - giving you slightly more of a fighting chance. There bright green uniforms also mean that they were easier to tell apart from the background than some of the games I've played so far!

However it is in the fourth level, a forced stealth mission, where my growing frustrations eventually caused me to quit. Numerous lazer traps requiring pixel perfection precision for a control scheme that didn't offer it was too much for me, and my Gameboy Color was once more returned to my shelf of retired portable game consoles.

---

A cautionary tale... if you ever go on holiday to a city where there is a possibility that you'll be stranded indoors due to major flooding - take more than just this game with you.

F1000003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By F1000003

I am continuing with the rather futile task of playing all the video games.

I tried to play 007: The World is Not Enough for the N64 earlier today, but my controller pack (memory card) has become corrupt. So while I wait for a new one to arrive, I thought I'd take another crack at the appalling Gameboy Color version.

Game 000010: 007: The World is Not Enough (Gameboy Color)

007: The World is Not Enough begins as a difficult, but possible, top down shooter. It ended for me, after sinking five hours into the toughest stealth level (mission four of eight), that I have ever played. You can check out this guy on YouTube struggle through it, (it soon gets tedious), and he's playing with save states on an emulator!

The World is Not Enough is slightly unusual in as much as all three versions of the game had different developers. The N64 version seems to be considered similar, but superior, to the PlayStation game - whereas relatively little information about the Gameboy Color version, developed by 2n Productions, seems to be available on the internet. I do wonder if perhaps no reviewer managed to progress far enough with it to give it a thorough appraisal, (have I mentioned that this game is virtually impossible yet?) Although I also observe that this was released on 11 September 2001, so an alternative hypothesis is that the world was too distracted by the tragic events of that day to pay this game any attention.

Each of the four levels I played essentially were essentially of the same format. Navigate around some sort of maze, (in one case literally a hedge maze), while trying too much damage. If you're health bar fully depletes you lose, and you must start again from the beginning. The world is full of identical villains who despite being cosmetically indistinguishable from each other seem to fall into one of three AI types which determine under what circumstances they will detect and chase you. Not being able to predict how each enemy will react until you have been detected makes this a frustrating game of trial and error... if they'd just made the minor adjustment of giving the AI types different coloured suits then this may have added an interesting puzzle element - as it is, it is just a dull memory exercise for when you inevitably get caught of guard, take too much damage and have to restart the level with a little bit more hindsight.

The guns in this game require you to continually shoot and move in order to avoid taking return fire - fine - but each time you punch a guy he is temporarily stunned allowing you to punch him again. Unarmed combat soon becomes the unsatisfying method of choice, as on average this approach means you take much less damage. If the levels were say split into two, then you'd probably have more fun sticking with the guns - but the missions are so long and bland, that there really is a huge disincentive to having to restart them.

Although this game did suffer from the same issue as the top down shooter for the Gameboy Advance, 007: Everything or Nothing, that the screen was just slightly too zoomed in to get a sense of where you were - to this games credit, at least the enemies don't spot you until they are one the same screen - giving you slightly more of a fighting chance. There bright green uniforms also mean that they were easier to tell apart from the background than some of the games I've played so far!

However it is in the fourth level, a forced stealth mission, where my growing frustrations eventually caused me to quit. Numerous lazer traps requiring pixel perfection precision for a control scheme that didn't offer it was too much for me, and my Gameboy Color was once more returned to my shelf of retired portable game consoles.

---

A cautionary tale... if you ever go on holiday to a city where there is a possibility that you'll be stranded indoors due to major flooding - take more than just this game with you.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

The world is not binary enough

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By awesomeusername

Are... Are you serious? What system did you start with? Are you crazy? Where is your social life going?!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BisonHero

@awesomeusername said:

Are... Are you serious? What system did you start with? Are you crazy? Where is your social life going?!

If you go back through the earlier blogs in his series, he acknowledged early on that his task is basically impossible. Especially because he ISN'T sacrificing his social life, and thus has only been writing 1-2 of these blogs per month, if I recall correctly.

It's been hilarious watching him work his way through all of the games starting with "007". I admire the dedication.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

someone should start doing one of these, but from the other end; I bet there's some awesomely terrible zorbs games out there

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Is F100000000000003 rich? How does he afford all these games!?!?

F1000003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By F1000003

@Fredchuckdave: Nope... a used unboxed copy of 007: The World is Not Enough for the Gameboy Color may not be as expensive as you'd imagine :)

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Brother_PipPop
    @Fredchuckdave

Is F100000000000003 rich? How does he afford all these games!?!?

Well since we all know Jeff is rich (bitch) in pretty sure he just sends them to F10-03. Why? Well because Jeff is the lover I the arts and quick looking everything.
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Jeff is so rich he can afford to be philanthropic with video games

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By awesomeusername

@BisonHero: This is the first time I've seen this user on this site so I wouldn't know. This dudes crazy though.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BisonHero

@Animasta said:

someone should start doing one of these, but from the other end; I bet there's some awesomely terrible zorbs games out there

It would actually be kind of interesting if F1000003 were to form a league of GB users, each one given a letter, and the goal to play all games starting with that letter.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nightriff

I remember loving the N64 version of this game....probably is complete shit now like Goldeneye is....sad

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.