Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

3D Dot Game Heroes

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 11, 2010

A PS3 game developed by Silicon Studio that mixes old-school 2D gameplay with 3D graphics and character creation.

Disc space?

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Anyone done an analysis (or can post a link to one) of how much of the blu-ray is taken up by this game? Every time I look at it I wonder if it shouldn't have been a downloadable title and how they may have shot themselves in the foot giving this a disc-based release...

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Rhaknar
    @EvilNiGHTS said:
    " Anyone done an analysis (or can post a link to one) of how much of the blu-ray is taken up by this game? Every time I look at it I wonder if it shouldn't have been a downloadable title and how they may have shot themselves in the foot giving this a disc-based release... "
    its selling nicely so they were right
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Even if it would have worked as a downloadable game I feel much better owning something I can hold in my hands.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By phantomzxro

i don't know about how much space it takes up but i don't think the game would have faired any better on just the PSN because i'm sure there will be more people at retailers that will pick this up on at random versus people picking it up on the PSN. I hope that the cheap price tag will be a pretty good selling force at retailers to make people pick it up. I also think more people would expect it to be 3o to 40 bucks on PSN and not look at it as a deal.
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @phantomzxro:
    Good point
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By vitor
    @phantomzxro said:
    " i don't know about how much space it takes up but i don't think the game would have faired any better on just the PSN because i'm sure there will be more people at retailers that will pick this up on at random versus people picking it up on the PSN. I hope that the cheap price tag will be a pretty good selling force at retailers to make people pick it up. I also think more people would expect it to be 3o to 40 bucks on PSN and not look at it as a deal. "
    As much as I'm enjoying it, I have to say that I feel it would have been improved by being shorter, cheaper and a downloadable title. There's only so far nostalgia will go before you realise just why they stopped making games like this.To be honest, Darksiders did the whole Zelda ripoff thing in a far more interesting way. Although the game still looks phenomenal and I love the unique artstyle. Just wish the gameplay was either more in depth, or not stretched as thin due to the length. 
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By phantomzxro
    @Vitor:
    True i think that could  have been a good plan as well it being say 20 bucks and a bit shorter, but i still can't help that it would have been lost in the shuffle of the PSN. there are so many people who don't know the amount of pretty cool games that comes out on the network and sony does not do a great job of pointing out new games on there. Overall i  think the game appeals to a small group of us anyway so who knows if any of these great ideas would help it.
    EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Not sure how it is in the US but in England I've had enough hassle just finding the damn thing. I spent Saturday looking in five different places and the one store that had it (and the others didn't sell out or anything, they simply weren't carrying it) wanted to charge £40 for it. Eventually resigned myself to buying it online which I guess I should have just done in the first place. I'm really not expecting this game to have sold well in the UK at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
    deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

No, I hate non-disc based games for several reasons, but the biggest reason is my purchase is reliant on their servers being up forever. Since I go back and play old games still, I am not going to conform to this stupid "digital" downloading age of gaming. Physical media ftw.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By CharleyTony

the installation of the game onto the ps3 is under 2GB so the game could probably be downloadable on PSN. Saving manufacturing costs and retail profits, it could have been a 30$ PSN (In my opinion), but like every  one else said in this thread, at 30 bucks, it would have looked like a really expensive product and could have sold a lot less. 
    I own both a PS3 and a 360 & I think PS3 owners follow a little less the digital releases for their platform. On the Xbox 360, those stupid ads in the dashboard (that you cant turn off) really help them push some XBLA sales... (at least it worked on me up to now) 

demos dont hurt either... 

Considering that 3D Dot Game Heroes is a very niche game, from a very niche Japanese Dev Team, I think that they made the right call, assuming that they could not do both options at the same time... 
    Maybe that game will show up elsewhere (360) as a download...
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By zero_

I don't think the game would have recieved the level of hype and anticipation that it did if it were a Downloadable-only game.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EvilNiGHTS
    @Zero_:  I don't think being a download-only game hurt Wipeout HD or Shadow Complex. Again, I can't speak for the US but I don't think European sales will be very high at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.