Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

A Hat in Time

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Oct 05, 2017

A third-person 3D platformer developed by Jonas Kaerlev along with his team at Gears For Breakfast.

A Hat in Time is out tomorrow, and is apparently good

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gerrid

I hadn't heard much about this game, a cartoony hat-based 3D platformer releasing in October (sounds familiar), but it has been getting some very nice feedback from those who got it early. It was kickstarted a little like Yooka-Laylee, but seems better that that, from early feedback

Destructoid 8.5

Youtube video review

The levels seem inventive (especially the Sepia-toned murder mystery train), the characters look charming, and the platforming seems tight. Especially nice to see a 3d platformer with a good camera. The art style doesn't really grab me but the writing also seems quite funny. I saw on twitter it has references to Friends at the Table and MBMBAM at some point.

Tough time to release something like this, but it also has co-op and costs $30. So maybe if you can't wait 3 weeks for Mario Odyssey (or don't have a Switch), this might fill the gap. Anybody backed it and tried it?

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I saw this one last week and I'm interested in it, but I couldn't find much about a release date for PS4 or XB1.

Looks cool though.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gerrid

@retrometal: Seems like its out on consoles tomorrow too, download only.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Looks great!

kitcatham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kitcatham
    Loading Video...

Heads-up: this is the only game I've ever supported in kickstarter so far, and I think it looks damn fine!

What I know from playing the beta and following the (first-time) devs update: it's a 3D platformer in the vein of Mario 64 and Sunshine, with big, non linear "garden" worlds that vary depending on the chapter selected. There are also linear platforming challenges hidden around, perfect for bubblegum machine based sheanigans. From what I played, the platforming is super solid, responsive, and allow you to recover from a bad jump with well timed slides and other moves you get from collecting badges. You can change direction very quickly, so it is quite a bit different from the momentum-heavy and bouncy nature of a mario game.

What I loved the most from following the game is the ever changing gameplay: the game isn't afraid to send a few curveballs your way, such as the aforementioned murder mystery and this example I got from playing the demo: There's an horror, escape based section with a haunting figure hunting you across the level. Gotta get that Twitch visibility somehow! Also, I enjoy the game's quirky humour so far, and how could I not mention the game's SSSSTYYYYYYLE?

Last thing, altough this one is a big bummer: despite what's stated in the destructoid review, the game will ship UNFINISHED. Now, I'm sure the polish and gameplay will be top notch, as I played from the beta and the constant updates from the devs show. However, way back in 2013, the game devs promised many features as part of the campaign's stretch goals, such as 7 different levels and co-op gameplay. As production ramped up, they had to sharply adjust the level count, and the game will release tomorrow with 4 chapters (basically themed worlds). A 5th and a 6th are planned to be added after launch, as free DLC for all owners. Also, local and online coop will be added at an unspecified point in the future. I trust the devs made difficult choices (we've been waiting since 2013 and odyssey is just round the corner), but that doesn't change the fact we won't enjoy the full experience until quite a few months post launch, if all is well. Talking of post launch support, anyone heard they finally added RECORE's lost levels and companion? Man, 2017 is weird...

All in all, very excited so far, I'll share my launch experience later this week here! Maybe I'll ever see a few of you duders/ dudettes in coop, who knows?

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I searched the PSN store and didn't find it.

I know it could just appear, but that just seems odd.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 49th  Online

I've known about this game from the very, very beginning when it was just a prototype of a cube on an empty plane. The main guy who made this was a TF2 modder so I saw the very first videos when it wasn't even anything yet. I actually feel weirdly proud that it's finally finished, I hope it's turned out well.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my favorite YouTubers did a spotlight and I loved the Super Mario 64-esque gameplay along with the little girl herself. Sadly though, my laptop can't run it, so hoping for a future Switch port.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By glots

@retrometal said:

I searched the PSN store and didn't find it.

I know it could just appear, but that just seems odd.

Welp, hope the console versions won't get trampled by every big game releasing later this fall too. I kinda like the look of this and could always do with more good platformers, though at the moment this month's spot is reserved for Mario Odyssey.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Have been looking at this since announcements, I am just really bummed that its not complete. I am very likely to just wait until its fully finished and play it then, sadly.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

Insane to see this game finally coming out; I nearly bought into the closed alpha of way back in 2012/2013. It got delayed so many times that I just assumed it was never going to come out.

halodude442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have played about an hour of this. It's got that real good platforming movement and tons of charm so far. TOO MANY GAMES. This year has been insane.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a big platformer fan but this game looks pretty damn good.

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add another game to the wishlist.... sigh.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This looks like a really good throwback style to the 90s era 3D platformers. I hope maybe Dan will do a QL of this. I'd like to get it but I've been burned in the past by really weak controls/camera issues with these types before.

Yoshisaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has the controversy surrounding this game and JonTron been addressed? Apparently it features a VO cameo, similar to the one that was arranged for Yooka-Laylee. For folks who missed it, Playtonic removed him from the game after he made some offensive comments in a video.

I haven’t seen the video in question, but apparently his comments were directed at immigrants and racial minorities. It resulted in a small exodus from his followers, although it appears that his dedicated fan base has stuck by him and boycotted Yooka-Laylee for removing him.

There’s a story on Polygon about it, apparently the devs of Hat in Time have not responded to questions about his cameo, and as far as I know, it’s still in the game.

Kind of off putting to be honest. I know they’re in an awkward spot, but they should really say something about it, if they haven’t already.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ravelle

Played a bit yesterday and it's super charming, Grant Kirkhope also is back in this and the soundtrack is veeeery similar to Mario+Rabbits.

Chippy180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played and finished the game. Highly enjoyable, really reminiscent of the best parts of Mario Galaxy and Sunshine. Adorable visual style and cute characters. The art team knocked it out of the park!

I can see why they didn't bother addressing the JT "controversy" - he voices a grand total of two sentences as a side character that is easy to miss. Not notable enough to be addressed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.