Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

A Way Out

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 23, 2018

A Way Out is a game that must be played with two people cooperatively. Created from some of the people who made Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Just finished the game with a friend, my brief impressions!

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed the game, it really mixed up the expectations I had. The game was solid all the way through and didn't outstay its welcome.

The fact that we could share the (30$) pricetag also helped. Good solid game if you're looking for a coop experience.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@h0lgr: Yah but what do you think about the Oscars?

How long is the game and how much of it is actually engaging? From the QL the part where you have to keep looking out for the guard while the other person works away behind the toilet seemed more like busywork than actual fun. Is most of the game like that or is there more of an action aspect to it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I had a blast with it last night with a buddy for about 3 hours. It's cheesy for sure, but so much fun and a very novel idea as far a gameplay. For what essentially amounts to $15 a person, I couldn't be happier.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm only halfway-ish through, but my first session was a real blast to play through. The cooperative aspect is really woven into the game in a way that is fun to uncover. The levels are really well-designed to naturally push the two partners to diverge, converge, and alternate who's leading and who's following. The game has some really rough edges and forgettable dialogue, but it's just so much fun to collaborate on a prison break with someone else.

bluntmcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just played through it together with my brother. It's a real fun coop game with a bunch of flaws in writing and some slightly disappointing gameplay aspects.

Gameplay-wise I wish there was a bit more to the coop aspect. It's a lot of opening doors that can only be opened with two people. A few more interactions that felt more impactful than a door would have been nice. That being said, the ending was pretty good (if a little bit forced). Yea, the writing is cheesy and the whole game expects you to suspend your disbelief quite a bit, but what you do at the end of the game feels impactful enough to really elevate the coop experience.

Vague spoilers incoming:

I wish they foreshadowed Vincents arc a bit better, as I (as Vincent) felt more sympathetic towards Leo at the end. It was hard to parse what I had to to in just a couple of minutes.

In general though, the visual direction of the scenes and the narrative focused coop experience make the game unique enough to where I have no issues recommending it to people. Just expect some cheese.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I also finished it with my buddy this weekend. For the price and limited investment (under 6 hours for us) it was a cool thing. I personally didn't like how it wrapped up but my buddy did. It does some fun things gameplay wise with the coop aspect that I think are worth seeing.

There's one part in particular I really hated and felt detracted from the game: the Commando-esque take-out-an-entire-militia-with-barely-anything segment.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also beat it. It's not very good. I don't think the story works. Some neat sequences don't make up for unlikable characters and a generic story. Also yeah, the ending is cool mechanically but it doesn't work from a narrative standpoint.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By glots

Been watching the Austin & Patrick playthrough over at Waypoint, which has been fun due to them doing each and every possible interaction that has been available. A good selection of the gameplay sections have seemed fun enough too, the hospital part especially.

It's a real shame that the story is what it is. I wouldn't even mind a cliched story that much, if it was told well and the acting was good, but the voice acting just seems to range from barely decent to horrible.

Real bummer that this is what came after Brothers. Could've probably had at least a small chance at GOTY talks if the story had delivered.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, my girlfriend and I just finished tonight and while like anything a person's mileage may vary, we really enjoyed it. The experience with her was more than enough to make up for some of the acting quibbles and I found the story to be a totally serviceable video game one. I thought the ending mechanically was clever but I did feel a little bit betrayed by what we were forced to do with the characters. Overall though, if their goal was to create something that would be a very fun, very memorable experience with a friend than it worked on me and my SO.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By glots

Middling experiences/reviews or not, seems like it has done well enough.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@glots: That is how my friend and I played it (and how we met 2018's new character of the year... That specific ladder). It's got a lot of flaws but we just cracked jokes and overlooked them all. We had fun the entire time we played which is more than most games. It's not perfect, in fact it's quite the opposite but it has heart. On top of that, it knows what it's going for and isn't afraid to hit those notes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.