Follow

Abandonware

Concept »

Abandonware refers to computer software that is no longer sold nor supported, sometimes because of unclear copyright ownership reasons.

Good Abandonware Games?

Doctor3vi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Doctor3vi1

Salutations fellow Bombchus,

I have recently switched back to PC and am looking forward to catching up on all the gaming i missed the past 5 years, in addition to new stuff, a scene I also missed was abandonware. I don't really know where to start on that one, but figured some of you guys might. I appreciate any reccomendations.

Cheers,

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BoG

Just to let you know, there really is no such thing as abandonware. Downloading these games is just as illegal as pirating a popular game like Call of Duty.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Levius

They said they released Full Spectrum Warrior free on Last Save, that games pretty good.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bybeach

I thought System Shock2 is kindof/sortof pretty much abandonware.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmilingPig

Gta1 and gta2 are free on Rockstar site.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

You can get the Marathon games for free now, legally. Freespace 2 as well, I think. It went open source.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mosespippy

@BoG: Abandonware are games that were available for purchase but now the devs give out for free because they have 0 economic value to them now (like Bungie and the Marathon games). It differs from freeware since freeware games are released as free.

The first Command and Conquer and Red Alert are free now from the developers website. You have to download the disc image and burn it to a disc for it to work though*. GTA 1 and 2 and Wild Metal are available on the rockstar games website. Then there are free to play games like Portal and TF2. Or freeware indie games like Cave Story, Ur-quan Marters, The Cat and the Coup, Forget Me Not, and Digital: A Love Story. And finally there is anything made by the students at digipen such as Narbacular Drop and Tag: The Power of Paint. You can find a lot of interesting stuff looking over the entrants to the Indie Games Festival.

*Or at least thats what it seemed like when I was reading about how to get it to work but I was also emulating windows on a mac so it could of been just me missing something.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jams

@mosespippy said:

@BoG: Abandonware are games that were available for purchase but now the devs give out for free because they have 0 economic value to them now (like Bungie and the Marathon games). It differs from freeware since freeware games are released as free.

The first Command and Conquer and Red Alert are free now from the developers website. You have to download the disc image and burn it to a disc for it to work though*. GTA 1 and 2 and Wild Metal are available on the rockstar games website. Then there are free to play games like Portal and TF2. Or freeware indie games like Cave Story, Ur-quan Marters, The Cat and the Coup, Forget Me Not, and Digital: A Love Story. And finally there is anything made by the students at digipen such as Narbacular Drop and Tag: The Power of Paint. You can find a lot of interesting stuff looking over the entrants to the Indie Games Festival.

*Or at least thats what it seemed like when I was reading about how to get it to work but I was also emulating windows on a mac so it could of been just me missing something.

Don't forget about The Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall. You can get them straight from Bethesda.

Swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Swoxx

@AmatureIdiot said:

They said they released Full Spectrum Warrior free on Last Save, that games pretty good.

Yup, ad supported though.

sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By sanchopanza

@BoG said:

Just to let you know, there really is no such thing as abandonware. Downloading these games is just as illegal as pirating a popular game like Call of Duty.

What you talking about? Call of Duty hasn't been popular for like 8 years.

@Doctor3vi1: You should try GoG, they re-release a bunch of old games for really cheap. Its not free but its worth it to have a version of a classic game that runs perfectly on a modern machine.

LimpingFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By LimpingFish

GoG also have a handful of free commercial games. Beneath a Steel Sky, Lure of the Temptress, Tyrian 2000, Dragonsphere, and Ultima 4 are all available free of charge.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By august

@XII_Sniper said:

You can get the Marathon games for free now, legally. Freespace 2 as well, I think. It went open source.

The engine is free. The game is not.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By soldierg654342

In this era of GoG, Steam, and rabid copyright protection there are very, very few games that a truly abandonware.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Jadeskye

Theme hospital is open source now. a really good tycoon game.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

@august said:

@XII_Sniper said:

*Gasp!* Oh, no! That means I... I... stole something once? Shit.

Still that's a little weird, but I guess it's on GOG (Come on, it has to be, it's Freespace 2), so anyone looking to play isn't exactly gonna go broke doing so.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By cnlmullen

I think the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy text based adventure is legally free. That game is really funny -- written by Douglas Adams himself, although you'll need a FAQ to get through it.

As far the more legally ambiguous abandonware is concerned (really old games nobody cares about; which what people are normally talking about when they say abandonware), I'd check out the original Lemmings, Wolf (or Lion), Commander Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By august

@XII_Sniper said:

@august said:

@XII_Sniper said:

*Gasp!* Oh, no! That means I... I... stole something once? Shit.

Still that's a little weird, but I guess it's on GOG (Come on, it has to be, it's Freespace 2), so anyone looking to play isn't exactly gonna go broke doing so.

It's not weird, actually, that's pretty much how open source engines work. You'll notice that most of id's old game engines are open source, but that doesn't mean Doom and Quake are free.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Adamsons

@Jadeskye said:

Are you fucking kidding me?

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dread612
    birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By birchman

@Adamsons said:

@Jadeskye said:

Are you fucking kidding me?

Damn! Theme Hospital is outright awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.