Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ace Attorney

Franchise »

A courtroom/detective based drama game series, likened to an interactive novel with logic puzzle elements.

Do these games still hold up?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey gang,

When I was at university, I first played the AA series. And I'll be honest- it blew me away. The mature writing, interesting characters, FANTASTIC music and incredible cast of villains made them an absolute DS favourite.

I recently read that on the 3DS, they re-released the first 3 games in one complete package.

I guess what I wanna know is this: do the AA games still hold up? Do you think I'll still enjoy them even though I know (mostly) what happens? I'm dying to play the final Godot case in AA3, and the Steel Samurai case in AA1.

Have any of you played these games recently? I'd love to hear from you!

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Turambar

They definitely still do as far as the writing goes, and though I was a bit worried the transition from sprites to polygonal character models was going to make it lose some of its charm, I think the last two games have both been fine. However, I don't think I have as much patience for the often unclear evidence presentation sections that led to trial-and-error solutions that the earlier games sometimes stumbled on.

The more recent games have definitely been better on that front.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The first 3 games definitely still hold up. In my opinion, case 2-4 is still the best case in the entire series (despite being in one of the weaker games in the series). I actually think it's the more modern games I have more of an issue with. I feel like the series is getting a bit long in the tooth. But the first 3 games are still great and I still go back and replay them every few years. Give them a shot.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By imhungry

I played through the original trilogy again last year when that 3DS package came on sale and I thought they were still pretty great. There are definitely parts that are weaker, especially on repeat playthroughs, but some of the best cases in the entire series come from those games and are definitely worth playing through again.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By onarum

Oh yeah, man I'll be replaying AA games for all my life I think, in fact I'm just going through the original trilogy yet again on the 3ds; I mean they all use the same old trick of getting to a point where it looks like there's no hope (even though you yourself know perfectly well what to do) and then having someone yell HOLD IT right when the judge is about to pass his verdict and that gets a bit annoying after the 4th or 5th time it happens.

But yeah they're still great, the newer 3ds ones are the weakest by far, but still very enjoyable, I'm yet to try that Phoenix right and Professor Layton crossover though, imma buy it when I'm finished with the original trilogy I think.

Also I wish they'd release that weird Edgeworth offshoot thing for the 3ds too, that thing was kinda neat.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cerberus3dog

Yeah they still hold up. Played through the original trilogy on 3DS again a couple years back. If you get stuck during the court trials, which happened to me, just use a guide. Now it's time to pump yourself up.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.