Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ace Attorney

Franchise »

A courtroom/detective based drama game series, likened to an interactive novel with logic puzzle elements.

Original art style, please

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By effache

I was looking to go back to play through all of the ace attorney games, because they are some of my favorite games of all time (the first three at least). I bought all of them on DS the week they came out but can't find my copies, they are either buried somewhere deep in my childhood closet or I mindlessly threw them away when a bunch of my stuff got water damage in storage a few years ago. I know there are ios and Wii versions available, and I downloaded the game onto my phone, but I really really hate what they have done to the art style and text treatment. Just for the record, here are some screens.

It might seem like a small difference but it sticks out to me. I know I am being a big baby, but essentially my question is (short of buying the DS versions again) what is the easiest way to play these games closer to their original form, or at least the form I originally played them in. I know the first 3 were originally on GBA, but I do not know if there are english version ROMs available. Is there a DS emulator that would be suited to play these games, or does the Wii version look any better?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Y'know, I always thought the newer versions had like a weird look to them. But looking at them side by side most of the difference comes from them not needing to be sprites anymore. It looks mostly the same. But I get what you mean. I think if I were to play them again if just get them on 3DS or iOS. iOS is slightly cheaper for whatever reason.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

#3  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Even if the art didn't bug you the iOS versions are glitchy, inexplicably full of typos/incorrect text, and missing some animations and songs. These are pretty much all fixed in the 3DS version despite using the same uprezzed art.

The Wii versions are directly based on the DS versions, same exact pixelated art. They do have higher quality audio than the DS versions though. The definitive versions in most fans' eyes.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat

The Wii version is the most straightforward port there is. The 3DS collection uses the newer art but it looks and runs a hell of a lot better, and has a UI almost as good as the original. I'm just as fussy as you about this and I would rate that version as acceptable (despite gumshoes chest heaving animation being completely absent in the third game). It's the best compromise. 3DS or Wii are the only 2 real options. Even though I have All 4 DS games I still play the 3DS collection despite not being perfect.

I should note, however, that Dual Destinies is the reverse situation. On iPad the game is far better than on 3DS, though the 3DS version is fine. Not the abomination that the other AA is on iOS.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5 BisonHero  Online

Yeah, the Wii version is totally fine. It seems to only be on iOS that they feel the need to touch up all of the graphics and fonts and UI to the point that it looks like a bad Flash game.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think the 3DS version is pretty ok, at least I haven't heard of any issues.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alistercat

@effache: The 3DS ace attorney games are on sale, at least in the UK. Might be a good time to check them out.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am playing through the first game of the 3ds digital trilogy right now and it seems fine. I played it when it came out on ds and it seems to match that in terms of technical quality. Also, fun fact: I had no idea this series started out on the GBA. Always thought it was the ds. Ya learn something new every day. ;)

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: It's bad in spots still. Like the judge's sprite looks like they hired a teenager from deviant art to draw it. Most of the core characters are still good though.

No Caption Provided

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: It's bad in spots still. Like the judge's sprite looks like they hired a teenager from deviant art to draw it. Most of the core characters are still good though.

No Caption Provided

I can see what you mean, but even in the worst spots I think it still looks okay. The whole package so far seems to be worth the investment. Dips in quality with examples like that aren't much of a dealbreaker for me. Although, given the context of the question from the Op I suppose it could be for them. Either way, I'd reccomend it to anyone who's got a 3ds kicking around and wants to revisit those first three games.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: Overall its the best version on a modern system. It is more than good enough for most people, my nitpicks don't matter to anyone else. Definitely not a dealbreaker.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: Overall its the best version on a modern system. It is more than good enough for most people, my nitpicks don't matter to anyone else. Definitely not a dealbreaker.

I agree.

Image result for phoenix wright gif

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.