Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

#1 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7121 posts) -

I have to say that the return of a proper Ace Combat is nice. The arcade action combat from Bandai Namco Entertainment might not be the biggest news of the conference, but I appreciated seeing its in action. Shockingly more than three years in the eight generation this is the first Ace Combat console game. Everything shown for for is just typically Ace Combat with little innovation, but I'm okay with that. Nice visuals supporting an anime styles story that isn't the heavy handed melodrama they had for the last few games, is what I wanted and what they seem to be delivering.

Just as there is car fetishism with Gran Tourismo and Forza, there is aircraft fetishism in Ace Combat games. The well rendered aircraft both historic and modern, the cockpits, and even the seamless inclusion of fantastical anime-design jets gets me excited.

The above is not the shorter e3 sizzle reel, but I like that it shows off that classics mission structure, briefing, and weapon selection.

I'll admit right now the VR mode does interest me. The 3D cockpit view and looking around could be very cool even as just a novelty.

#2 Posted by BigSocrates (1904 posts) -

How can you say this is "just" an Ace Combat mode when it will have VR support? That's going to be crazy awesome. Flight games are one of the best uses of VR.

I'm actually pretty jazzed about this game for that reason. I think it's going to be a real fun time!

#3 Edited by LeStephan (1139 posts) -

Damn, that music is the best. Game looks absolutely awesome! Never played one of these before, might have to look into the older games now as well.

#4 Posted by xanadu (1759 posts) -

So this is another exclusive platform VR? It wont have VR support on PC? Seems to me if these companies really want to VR to succeed they need to be a little more open with what games are what platforms.

#5 Posted by fisk0 (6686 posts) -

I mean, the PS2 era Ace Combat games still look good, but this looks so good. I hope the PC release will be simultaneous to the console versions, and not delayed by two years like Assault Horizon was.

#6 Edited by riostarwind (1316 posts) -

This game is hitting all the right notes to make me interested in it than I would be normally. Plus it has been a really long time since I've put any time into a brand new arcade fighter jet game.

#7 Posted by cloudymusic (2057 posts) -

I see gigantic mile-wide super-fortresses are still a thing in AC7. That's all I needed to know to know that I'm going to play this.

#8 Posted by hassun (9229 posts) -

Gamescom trailer:

Loading Video...

#9 Edited by dagas (3633 posts) -

I love the Ace Combat PS2 games. AC4,5 and zero are all great with fun gameplay and great story. AC6 was ok but I never likes it as much and after that I've not cared about the series since it has been so different but I hope we will get good old AC again.

This game has the F-104 Starfighter which is one of my favorite planes. Shown very briefly in the video. It is a beautiful plane with classic looks from the early space age. I hope it will be playable as well. Even if it is ancient compared to modern planes.

#10 Posted by isomeri (3043 posts) -

So, uh, where is this game? We got an announcement in 2015 and the last we heard of it was at Gamescom last year when we just got a trailer and info that the game would be out in 2018. But now Bandai Namco is not showing the game at E3, which does leave me worried. This may sound silly, but I think that Ace Combat 7 was my most anticipated game for this year.

Hopefully we'll hear something come this year's Gamescom in August.

#11 Posted by Damodar (2137 posts) -

Woo!

#12 Posted by isomeri (3043 posts) -

@damodar: Good, my faith is renewed. Maybe we'll even get a release date?

Also, it's cool that we're still getting announcements on the last days of E3, instead of everything just being farted out in the press conferences (or leaked beforehand).

#13 Posted by briarpack (232 posts) -

@damodar@isomeri Trailer's out, still no release date. I'm getting a bit worried...

Loading Video...

#14 Posted by isomeri (3043 posts) -

@briarpack: Yeah that's a lot of the same stuff they showed in the last trailer...

#16 Posted by dgtlty (1037 posts) -
No Caption Provided

#17 Posted by whitegreyblack (1882 posts) -

I wonder if some of the long delay is them trying to get PSVR right. If that's the case, I hope they take as long as they need to get that spot-on. I really want a great flying game to sink my teeth into on PSVR.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
#18 Edited by soimadeanaccount (549 posts) -

PAK FA, nice. Is that a new reveal? Now how about a fantasy world where the YF-23 get to fly again?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.