Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Achievement Point$: How Microsoft Can Unlock More of Our Wallets

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By BiggerBomb

I have been lazy. Actually, I am still lazy. That said, I'm going to try to muster up the energy to blog my thoughts. Anyway, the preface is irrelevant. Let's begin, shall we?! :D

Microsoft's most brilliant creation.
    When I think about Microsoft's success in the console race, the first thing that comes to mind is the ever-so-sweet sound of unlocking an achievement. It's a simple, pleasant, and familiar ring that promises to *queue Heath Ledger* "put a smile on that face."

It's pretty stupid, if you think about it. But it's the utter stupidity of the achievement system that, paradoxically, makes it so damn ingenious. Achievements are the (virtual) carrot at the end of the stick that manage to create a self-sustained longevity in the games we buy, as well as an incentive to purchase multiplatform games on the Xbox 360; rather than on the competitors' consoles. People even play bad games, in order to get the achievement points! And that's just it, people spend money to unlock achievement points.

It's a modern day bread & circus, we have come to a point in time when the consumer will give away their hard-earned cash to up their gamerscore. That's simply incredible. That's quite an achievement (sorry!) This brings me to my main point, or idea, if you will. I've had an easily implemented idea, floating around in my head, that would allow us (the players) an opportunity to earn more achievement points, all the while enabling Microsoft to unlock more of our wallets. What is this idea that I'm taking an unecessarily long time, teasing you with? It's simple: Achievements for Xbox Originals.

First, let me clarify what I mean by this. I'm not suggesting that Microsoft burn through time and resources by creating a set of achievements for all Xbox games that have backwards compatability with the Xbox 360. That would be crazy. What I am suggesting is that Microsoft create achievement tables for all Xbox Originals that are available (and that will henceforth become available) to download on Xbox Live.

The economy sucks right now; and even though people are still buying games, how many of them are spending their money buying last generation games? I'll wager it's not an impressive figure. But Microsoft knows the way we "tick." Microsoft knows what will make us spend money. Microsoft should know that we will pay for achievements.

Achievement Unlocked: Played Bioware's Red-Headed Step Child.
    The key to making a profit is making an incentive for the potential consumer, giving the masses a reason to buy your product. So why not give us an extra reason to buy your product, Microsoft?

This is entirely beneficial to Microsoft and on a personal note, I would love to see this implemented as well. Not only would fans have another reason to replay their favorite titles, but this would also encourage players to purchase games that they either (a) never heard of, or (b) never got around to playing.

I can't predict the future, but I sure as hell would bet a pretty penny that the Xbox Originals program would become far more successful should the promise of achievements be added to the equation. The details could be ironed out by Microsoft, those details being largely comprised of how many achievement points to allocate to XBO's; however, I don't see any reason why the full 1,000 would be less enticing than a mere 200 or so points.

Also, let me mention that achievement points are available for Banjo-Kazooie (the XBLA port of the Nintendo 64 game.) If Microsoft could get achievement points into Banjo-Kazooie, I'm sure Psychonauts would be no more of a challenge to update.

Bottom line: I think this works on so many levels, for both Microsoft and us. When it comes to win/win situations like this, it's always appreciated to see them in full effect.

So please do tell, GiantBomb. What do you think? :D
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

I have been lazy. Actually, I am still lazy. That said, I'm going to try to muster up the energy to blog my thoughts. Anyway, the preface is irrelevant. Let's begin, shall we?! :D

When I think about Microsoft's success in the console race, the first thing that comes to mind is the ever-so-sweet sound of unlocking an achievement. It's a simple, pleasant, and familiar ring that promises to *queue Heath Ledger* "put a smile on that face."

It's pretty stupid, if you think about it. But it's the utter stupidity of the achievement system that, paradoxically, makes it so damn ingenious. Achievements are the (virtual) carrot at the end of the stick that manage to create a self-sustained longevity in the games we buy, as well as an incentive to purchase multiplatform games on the Xbox 360; rather than on the competitors' consoles. People even play bad games, in order to get the achievement points! And that's just it, people spend money to unlock achievement points.

It's a modern day bread & circus, we have come to a point in time when the consumer will give away their hard-earned cash to up their gamerscore. That's simply incredible. That's quite an achievement (sorry!) This brings me to my main point, or idea, if you will. I've had an easily implemented idea, floating around in my head, that would allow us (the players) an opportunity to earn more achievement points, all the while enabling Microsoft to unlock more of our wallets. What is this idea that I'm taking an unecessarily long time, teasing you with? It's simple: Achievements for Xbox Originals.

First, let me clarify what I mean by this. I'm not suggesting that Microsoft burn through time and resources by creating a set of achievements for all Xbox games that have backwards compatability with the Xbox 360. That would be crazy. What I am suggesting is that Microsoft create achievement tables for all Xbox Originals that are available (and that will henceforth become available) to download on Xbox Live.

The economy sucks right now; and even though people are still buying games, how many of them are spending their money buying last generation games? I'll wager it's not an impressive figure. But Microsoft knows the way we "tick." Microsoft knows what will make us spend money. Microsoft should know that we will pay for achievements.

The key to making a profit is making an incentive for the potential consumer, giving the masses a reason to buy your product. So why not give us an extra reason to buy your product, Microsoft?

This is entirely beneficial to Microsoft and on a personal note, I would love to see this implemented as well. Not only would fans have another reason to replay their favorite titles, but this would also encourage players to purchase games that they either (a) never heard of, or (b) never got around to playing.

I can't predict the future, but I sure as hell would bet a pretty penny that the Xbox Originals program would become far more successful should the promise of achievements be added to the equation. The details could be ironed out by Microsoft, those details being largely comprised of how many achievement points to allocate to XBO's; however, I don't see any reason why the full 1,000 would be less enticing than a mere 200 or so points.

Also, let me mention that achievement points are available for Banjo-Kazooie (the XBLA port of the Nintendo 64 game.) If Microsoft could get achievement points into Banjo-Kazooie, I'm sure Psychonauts would be no more of a challenge to update.

Bottom line: I think this works on so many levels, for both Microsoft and us. When it comes to win/win situations like this, it's always appreciated to see them in full effect.

So please do tell, GiantBomb. What do you think? :D
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By whackmypinata

Yeah man, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not big into achievements (denial) but if Xbox Originals had achievements and possibly the function so I can chat in the game, I would be jumping on some of those games. When I play an Original Xbox game that I own, I feel like I'm being exiled on to a far away sland with nothing but my sweaty palms and my caffeinated beverage. Achievements would help.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

Totally, we all have this knee jerk reaction to get achievement points that if they release xbox original game with achievements during one of the slow months of game releases, it would make me think about picking it up for both nostalgia and of course points.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By eric_buck

Lol I thought they already did that. It seems pretty obvious that they should do that but yeah it sounds like a great idea. Plus nothing is sweeter than the sound of unlocking an achievment.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Oni

Totally agreed, I was actually kind of surprised when XBOX Originals came out and they didn't support achievements. I would get games I've already played, like Fahrenheit and Psychonauts, again for sure if I could get achievements for them, because that's just the kind of excuse I'd need to replay those games.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Verdugo
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#7  Edited By Vinchenzo

So BiggerBomb, I heard you're a dirty achievement whore.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

Agreed. It was stupid in the first place not to put the achievements in the Originals, and the only way they can sell now is to offer some incentives to the achievement whore in all of us.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crunchUK

SHUT UP THEY MIGHT BE LISTENING

also yeah that sound and the little blurb is awesome

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Moon
    BiggerBomb said:
    " I've had an easily implemented idea, floating around in my head, that would allow us (the players) an opportunity to earn more achievement points, all the while enabling Microsoft to unlock more of our wallets. "
    AHHHHH COMMA SPLICE! HELP!
    Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Moon
    BiggerBomb said:
    " I've had an easily implemented idea, floating around in my head, that would allow us (the players) an opportunity to earn more achievement points, all the while enabling Microsoft to unlock more of our wallets. "
    AHHHHH COMMA SPLICE! HELP!
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Death_Unicorn

When choosing between an arcade title, and an xbox original title, I go for the arcade title cuz tha achievementzzz.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Yeah, I always thought it was strange that they weren't in there from the start, plus they already made achievements for the PC version of Halo 2 - what better game to kick this off with?

Edit: There should totally be a petition or something :P

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DXSSI

Honestly, I don't care.  Achievement points mean nothing to me personally.  I do occasionally take an interest when I get an achievement at what is seemingly a non-climactic point in a game (especially if it is a cleverly-titled achievement) and hit the guide button to figure out what I just did, but beyond that I just don't care.

At all.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Tordah

I completely agree as well. Excellent idea!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I agree, man. I only own 1 Xbox Original currently, and that's Sid Meier's Pirates. I'd probably buy a couple more for achievements... man... that's sad, isn't it? But regardless, I think this is something they should have implemented in the first place. And sure, maybe this is a lot to ask for, but why didn't they add online play to Halo 1 when they brought it to 360? Sure, it would have required a bit of work and quite an investment, but dude, nearly every single 360 owner would have bought it so they'd definitely be making a profit in the long run anyway.

hendersonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By hendersonman

Achievement points have to be hard coded into the software itself. Banjo for the arcade is a remade title for the XBLA. Reprogrammed for the 360. The Xbox orginals are just emulations of the previous generations games. So it would be way harder to put achievement in there.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Chummy8

If it wasn't for achievement points, I probably wouldn't still be playing half of the games I own for the 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah Biggerbomb, you make me proud. I find myself to be a bit of an achievement whore, having 1000/1000 such shit as King-Kong, NBA 2k6, and then even going to the extent of 1000/1000 Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, and a bunch of others. Achievement points really are quite genius, and now Sony has attempted to jump on the bandwagon with the Trophy concept, however it's attempted intergration with Home probably won't work due to Home's complete and utter suckage.

Vinchenzo - you saying that is like Obama asking 50 cent if he's black.... that made no sense.... whatever.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Nice Blog , all and all Microsoft is trying to earn as much money as it can . today CNN announced that  5000 Microsoft employees will lose their job in 2009 .

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Jayge_

JADE EMPIRE IS A GREAT GAME.

Also, yes. They are idiots for not having achievements for Xbox Originals.

romeoinc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By romeoinc

Yeah, when the first announced Xbox Originals, I thought it was completely ridiculous that they chose not to implement achievements into the games.  As I did not own an Xbox I never played the first two instalments of Halo,  I would gladly go and purchase Halo: Combat Evolved today from the marketplace if it had achievements.

I also think that your sentiments are kinda echoed in the community games; if each user made game that made to the marketplace had a couple of achievements WAY more people would be interested by that service.

Nice Blog man, keep seeking those damn achievements!

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BiggerBomb

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! :D

@Jayge:

I was downloading Jade Empire from XBLM but I was too tired to sit through the rest of the download, and so I turned of my Xbox. The next day I faced suckage incarnate. Jade Empire would no longer download. Worst thing is, I didn't get my f***ing points back! GRAR!!!! :(

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#24  Edited By JackiJinx

Totally. I love achievement points and would love any excuse to get more =P

JJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JJ

I'd actually go back and finish Jade Empire if it had achievement points.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By wardcleaver

As a self-professed achievement whore, I would most definately support adding achievements to Xbox Originals.  In fact, when I play Originals now, I think to myself, "Why am I wasting time playing this, when I could be earning achievements for a 360 game?"

I also  think that it would be cool if MS implented a system now that unlocked bonus achievements for hitting certain Gamerscore/number of games played/etc..   Maybe at 100,000 GS, the achievement could be:

Achievement Unlocked:  Home Gamerscore Lab

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By mike

This was brought up back in 2005, before the 360 even launched.  The reason that original Xbox games will never have achievements is that sort of thing has to be programmed into the game, it can't be simply added later on.  This would involve every individual company who made every game going back and spending development time on these things...which, isn't going to happen.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiggerBomb

MB, I thank you for your always welcomed passive aggressive contributions; alas, I'll suggest that you don't post on my blogs anymore. Or in the very least, learn how to be nice when you do so. Thanks a bunch.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HandsomeDead
    BiggerBomb said:
    "

MB, I thank you for your always welcomed passive aggressive contributions; alas, I'll suggest that you don't post on my blogs anymore. Or in the very least, learn how to be nice when you do so. Thanks a bunch.

"
    Do you have to talk like such a victim?
    Bonesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bonesofwar
    HandsomeDead said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "

"
    Do you have to talk like such a victim?"
    Do you have to talk like such a douche?
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BiggerBomb

I don't want to derail this, HandsomeDead. I'm just stating that I don't need MB to over simplify a situation, with his trademark belligerence, in every single blog and/or topic I create. It would be very much appreciated.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Bonesofwar said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "

"
    Do you have to talk like such a victim?"
    Do you have to talk like such a douche?"
    Do you have to be a poor troll?
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BiggerBomb

Please, guys. Stop it. I made this blog to record my thoughts on a subject that is apparently well recieved. I don't need people using this to flex their e-muscles. Take it somewhere else.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HandsomeDead
    BiggerBomb said:
    "I don't want to derail this, HandsomeDead. I'm just stating that I don't need MB to over simplify a situation, with his trademark belligerence, in every single blog and/or topic I create. It would be very much appreciated."
    By stating it, you're basically doing the exact thing you don't want anyone else to do in this thread. Would it be so hard to ignore his comments or respond in a civil manner instead of letting them get to you so badly?
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BiggerBomb
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HandsomeDead

No. Stop trolling yourself. Stop trolling yourself. Stop trolling yourself.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BiggerBomb

You're telling me to learn to let things go, so take your own advice and stop derailing my blog. Stop. It.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HandsomeDead

Hey, whatever you say. I am out of here.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#39  Edited By vigorousjammer

I dunno, I don't think it has to be programmed INTO a game... it can be programmed OVER a game...
    if something is done in the game, that can simply trigger an outside variable on the 360's dashboard, unlocking an achievement...
    it'd be a completely different set of code, but it'd be triggered by the game's code...
    i'm sure it's possible...
    I think Microsoft just said that so they wouldn't have to put achievements in Xbox Originals...

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BiggerBomb

Exactly, Vigorous! There is no reason why Xbox Live has to turn off when playing a XBO and if a software was implemented that would monitor your game progression, it could trigger the achievements everytime you accomplished the required task! :D

John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By John

I would indeed buy me some San Andreas if there were some ahievos in there, but I have played that game to 100% twice (pc then ps2). So why would I spend again my paper for the same thang, that's not very G, homie.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would also buy San Andreas, even without achievement points, but unfortunately I'm stuck with an under 18 account (stupid me being honest). It's like one of those tumors that won't go away.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Gorillawhat said:
    "I would also buy San Andreas, even without achievement points, but unfortunately I'm stuck with an under 18 account (stupid me being honest). It's like one of those tumors that won't go away."
    You can upgrade them now in the system options section of the NXE.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.