Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Bad DLC...the sworn enemy of S-Ranks everywhere

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By SonicFire

Well, now that GB's achievement tracking is back up and running, a quick perusal of my stats has made one thing very clear:  

Bad DLC is the bane of my existence.

Not that DLC is necessarily a problem, but the overwhelming majority of it ends up ruining my hard-won s-ranks. In some cases, I'm happy to go back to the game, but more often than not DLC is not worth either the price of admission, or my efforts for that matter.  

For example, Metro 2033 added some several months after release: not so much story content, but rather a few weapons and difficulty modes. For one, I'm not paying for weapons or difficulties. Secondly, why on earth would I replay the whole game for it? I could multiply examples: Dragon Age had some of the worst DLC I can remember in ages (even Awakening was a letdown as far as I'm concerned). And let's not forget about Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot: who doesn't want to play boring 100-wave arena fights in 5-hour-long stretches? Or who didn't want more mutliplayer costumes and maps for Bioshock 2 and Tron: Evolution?

While I can't exactly blame companies for wanting to cash in, I'd be lying to you if I didn't look at some of my rankings and let out one hell of a sigh. I wouldn't recommend GB changing its system or anything like that, but it's frustrating to say the very least. I feel that DLC that has achievements attached should at least offer some compelling reason to jump back into the game byeond points. A good example of this would be Fallout 3's five DLC packs, or Mass Effect 2's Shadow Broker DLC.  

That said, are there any games where bad DLC blew your S-Rank, or just wasn't worth it?
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SonicFire

Well, now that GB's achievement tracking is back up and running, a quick perusal of my stats has made one thing very clear:  

Bad DLC is the bane of my existence.

Not that DLC is necessarily a problem, but the overwhelming majority of it ends up ruining my hard-won s-ranks. In some cases, I'm happy to go back to the game, but more often than not DLC is not worth either the price of admission, or my efforts for that matter.  

For example, Metro 2033 added some several months after release: not so much story content, but rather a few weapons and difficulty modes. For one, I'm not paying for weapons or difficulties. Secondly, why on earth would I replay the whole game for it? I could multiply examples: Dragon Age had some of the worst DLC I can remember in ages (even Awakening was a letdown as far as I'm concerned). And let's not forget about Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot: who doesn't want to play boring 100-wave arena fights in 5-hour-long stretches? Or who didn't want more mutliplayer costumes and maps for Bioshock 2 and Tron: Evolution?

While I can't exactly blame companies for wanting to cash in, I'd be lying to you if I didn't look at some of my rankings and let out one hell of a sigh. I wouldn't recommend GB changing its system or anything like that, but it's frustrating to say the very least. I feel that DLC that has achievements attached should at least offer some compelling reason to jump back into the game byeond points. A good example of this would be Fallout 3's five DLC packs, or Mass Effect 2's Shadow Broker DLC.  

That said, are there any games where bad DLC blew your S-Rank, or just wasn't worth it?
    BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BaneFireLord

What's worth than bad DLC for S-ranks is multiplayer-only achievements for games that get their servers shut down in less than a year of release (LOTR Conquest).

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By bigsmoke77

The last DLC for Borderlands achievement's suck hard.

mpdebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mpdebo
    @bigsmoke77: 

I second that! 
    FUCK THOSE PIZZAS!
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aus_azn
    @bigsmoke77 said:
    " The last DLC for Borderlands achievement's suck hard. "
    Mad Moxxi also bored me to tears that I couldn't be bothered to stick it.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By xMP44x

Speaking as someone who does not normally buy DLC for games, I can agree entirely with the frustration. The only game I recently have bought DLC for and played for an extended period of time has been Mafia II. Unfortunately, the achievements included in Jimmy's Vendetta are downright insane. Getting 1000 enemy kills was boring but I managed to grind it... but being asked to lap the city 150 times in order to get the achievement for 1000 miles driven is downright insane. Unless you can drive above 100mph and handle the car well enough to avoid a fatal collision you're looking at ten hours or more of hauling ass around the motorway network. And to rub salt into the wounds, you don't have the Delizia Grandeamerica, meaning that you can't cruise around the city at 188mph. It's only included in Joe's Adventure.

ClamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ClamFTW

So true.  I gave up trying to S-Rank RDR when they released all of the multiplayer packs - if I want to play poker, I will play it with real people for real money, thankyouverymuch.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ch13696

I wouldn't know anything about it because I never S-Ranked a game through Giant Bomb. However, one thing does get to me with Burnout Paradise. I remember  I 100% that game on the PS3 when they released the motorcycles (thank God that was free), but when they charged for the other DLC, I never bought. Therefore leaving my trophy completion at I think 68%. Damn that game.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bigsmoke77
    @Aus_azn:  It is a grind but I finished all the quests and had not noticed any pizzas and bobblehead drops, went to kill some claptraps and the first two i killed dropped pizzas and then another one dropped a bobblehead and nothing else dropped.........you need 15 pizzas and 6 bobbleheads
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yep. Versus mode ruined my ambition to get the full S in Resident Evil 5. I was only two achievements away too (Get every kind of treasure and beat the game on professional). Mad Moxxi is also a pretty bad one, and I highly recommend that everyone also avoid Darkspawn Chronicles for Dragon Age, as that is $7 for about 90 minutes of bad combat with minimal reward or payoff (You get a fairly decent sword to use in the real game and two super easy achievements, but that's it).

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust

Never had a S-rank but I had a A rank on The Force Unleashed before the last and lame two pack DLC. Never cared much about achievements, still that sucked. 

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By mracoon

I had an S-Rank in Broderlands up until Mad Moxxi.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SonicFire
    @BaneFireLord said:
    "What's worth than bad DLC for S-ranks is multiplayer-only achievements for games that get their servers shut down in less than a year of release (LOTR Conquest). "

No kidding. Personally, I think multiplayer achievements need to just disappear.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By StarFoxA

Freaking... Mad... Moxxi... 

...and I went through I S ranked that anyway. :( 

It wasn't worth it.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SonicFire
    @StarFoxA said:
    "Freaking... Mad... Moxxi...  ...and I went through I S ranked that anyway. :(  It wasn't worth it. "

I did one of the 3 100-wave rounds, then realized my soul had started to hurt.
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SonicFire
    @ArbitraryWater: 

I completely agree with you.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mnzy

I live in Germany and because of that can't get some DLCs for indexed games (that are still legal if you are 18) like Gears or Ninja Gaiden. So I can never S-rank them :<

AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By AndyAce83

Sometimes I wish for new achievements (or a new game). I have S-Ranked only one game. Lips (singing game) and so I was proud of that (hard work with many a soar throat). Ofcouse I can keep singing without the achievements, but the Xbox have stopped flattering me about my "talent".

Then I decided I wanted to try S-Ranking BIochock 2. I gave up! I downloaded metro-pack, but there were lots of trouble with playing them. Fortunatly Bioschock one does not have that problem. Perhaps I will S-Rank that one instead.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

This is usually why I don't S-Rank deliberately. (By accidentally, I mean games that just give you 1000 points for beating it)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.