Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Do you care Achievements about ?

Avatar image for thenewagentdandb
    TheNewAgentDandB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheNewAgentDandB

Hey everyone, a pretty simple topic really. The question is..Do you care about  Achievements? Like do you go out of your way to obtain them. Myself, I care about them. Like it makes you play though a game again. Just to get them. But I usually get the points by accident. What about you guys? Oh and post your gamerscore as of now. Mine is 8,088.

Avatar image for thenewagentdandb
    TheNewAgentDandB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheNewAgentDandB

Oh damn, Sorry guys. I was fixing up the word achievement in the title..and it came out wrong...is there anyway to fix it?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ArchScabby

lol, grammar.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By TomA

I kinda like achievements,it gives you something to else to go for in a game.But i don't really go after them,maybe I will sometimes if I know i'm going to be doing the task at hand anyway.As long as it's fun and it adds value to the game then I'm all for it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

A little bit... little bit.

bandresen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By bandresen

I don't understand the point really.

But I guess it's something some people get grabbed by and then they can't stop. :-)

Gamerscore: 330

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Bass

Yeah, im all for achievements. they stretch the replayability of games, and there isn't anything wrong with that.
    I'm striving to get 1000/1000 on the Orange Box, so that might be a small hint.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I don't know why, but I always go for achievements even it's a hassle. I care more about % completion in a game than total score though.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Red

Best title ever.

Yeah, I care about achievements but will I go out of my way to get them? No. Will achievements help entice me to play a game some more: definitely.
    daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By daz0608

I will go out of my way to get achievements if it seams posible and I like playing the game

I loved Crackdown but there was no way I was going to collect all the agility orbs, there are probably easy ones for me to get in CoD: W@W but after playing the multiplayer and realising it's the same as CoD 4 with WW2 guns I don't really want to play though the campaign
    Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Optiow

I like achivements. In all my games I like to have somthing extra to do.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By granderojo

When achievements are a natural process, like in left4dead, I love doing them.

Otherwise, it seems detrimental to my experience.  Achievements should be relevant to the game, not farming a task to get a crazy obtainable task that is not really relevant to a GOOD experience.

Had my account frozen before with 6+ achievements, and now I got 6,700+ so yeah, I got about 15,000 in my 360 lifetime.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't care about a gamerscore or anything like that, but I do like achievements.

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ghostin

They do enhance my second playthrough of most games, as they often flag cool stuff I might miss.  It's not why I buy games, but given the choice of the same game with them or without, I tend to go for the one with.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marzy

I'm not too bothered about them really, but sometimes I'll try and get a few, just for fun. I don't really play the 360 much anyway.

NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By NateDogg

It's sad when I sometimes have a problem playing a game just for enjoyment... Rather than playing it for achievement points.. :)

And yes that means I am into achievments.
    Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Teh_Eel

Don't care for achievments, waste of time. If I carry on playing a game it is because I enjoy it not becasue I need some more points.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#18  Edited By citizenkane

I like them, but I don't obsess over them and try to rent every crappy and Achievement easy game to boost my overall score.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19  Edited By Vinchenzo

My e-peen is HUMONGOUS.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Depends on how much I like the game and how smart the achievement is.

I'll gladly go for the Halo achievements (skulls, metagame, etc.) but I'm not willing to play 50 ranked games in prey

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#21  Edited By Vinchenzo
    SmugDarkLoser said:

but I'm not willing to play 50 ranked games in prey

Not even a real achievement for Prey. Get owned!
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By RHCPfan24

I sort of care for them, I guess. I will go out of the way if I know I can get an achievement, and I worked hours on end to get the Mile HIgh Club achievement, which was very satisfying. My Gamerscore currently rests at about 15,150. I know it will go up soon. Got a lot of games to play.

EFKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EFKT

I care for the unique & fun ones. Its a little incentive to go back and play your past games.

However i care not for multiplayer ones, there such a hassle.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By CreamyGoodness

yes, for some reason, not to show off but to keep getting a sense of "achievement" for myself

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Whisperkill

yes i care achievements about

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lieutenant

Yup, I usually go for achievements if they're reachable (i.e. do 50 of this move, kill 25 of this enemy with this kind of weapon, kill 200 stupid pidgeons). But if they're something like "Beat the game on Insane without dieing, while only using your bare fists in 4 hours while doing a handstand" I won't even bother... it starts becoming a chore after that.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By BiggerBomb

To a certain extent, yes. I play to enjoy my games, not to grind achievements. That said, when I do get an achievement I really love it and I think it's great fun to compare the achievements I've unlocked in game X with the achievements my friends unlocked in the same game. But, I never go out of my way to get an achievement if it will adversely affect my enjoyment of the game.

For example:

There is no way in fuck that I was going to try to get Seriously (Gears of War,) Seriously 2.0 (Gears of War 2,) or Mile High Club (Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.) I wouldn't waste my breath trying to get an achievement that would cause any inkling of enjoyment I could have with the games in question to go up in flames. However, if an achievement isn't an absurd timesink or of immense difficulty to obtain, I will dedicate some time to pursue the achievement; as long as it is one that I will have fun trying to get, a la Chain Reaction and Wanted (Grand Theft Auto IV.)

Lastly, this is a word to all potential trolls:

The TC made it clear that the grammatical error in the title was a mistake, so don't be an asshat by posting with the sole intention of trying to make fun of him for it. Be nice, guys!

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Drizzle

Yes i'm into them, it adds re-playability to games i usually wouldn't do a second playthrough (fallout 3), but i absolutely hate doing achievements like "find x amount of this item"

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pibo47

OMG TC IS IDIOT GRAMMER TARD SHOULD KILL SELF!!!! HATE HATE HATE IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT! Srly tho. I am a fan of the achievements, i wouldnt go as far to say that i care about them...but i do enjoy achieving them.

Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Shadow2K6

Lets see 29,000+ gamerscore.  Yeah I guess.  It adds replay value to the game.  I wouldn't go out and rent stupid kids games (Avatar, Cars, Open Season, etc) just for achievements but in games I normally would buy I go through all the difficulties and do things I wouldn't normally do without achievements.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#31  Edited By gla55jAw

I don't need to get every achievement in a game (I've only gotten 1000 in madden 09) but i deff do play games sometimes and go out of my way to get achievements. It makes it tough when I go back and play a PS2 game. I feel like I have no reason to beat it because I don't get an achievement, wow I guess I do care.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By wrecks

Yes. And now that I and many, many others are somewhat addicted to them... Start making it a mandatory feature for Games for Windows! If F.E.A.R. 2 had them on the PC, I would be purchasing it instead of renting for the 360... wise up M$!

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Demyx

Its okay, I would never go as far as to buy a game just for the achievements. And unless I enjoyed it, I really doubt I'll replay it.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I like achievements because they give the games replay value

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35  Edited By kush

I have a question...I enjoy achievements (especially when implemented well), but would you still enjoy achievements if there were no points associated with them? Just the text and nothing else...I know that I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but how about you...

Darknesszora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Darknesszora

i love achievements tbh. its the main reason to play games to their full extent

like in fallout 3, i played through 3 characters to get all the achivements 
    its also makes playing shit games worth it in the end lol
    lacke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lacke
    I'm an achievement hunter and I'll go out of my way to get all the achievements a game has to offer. Unless it's really long grinding achievements, like PDZ has. I don't mind a little grind though and I've always played on the hardest difficulty anyway (with the exception of some genres). Don't really care about total score and I've never played any games just because of getting achievement points, like Avatar or King Kong.

My games have longer replay value now. For instance, past GTAs I would only do the story missions and when I was done with those I didn't play the game anymore. Now I've actually done some of the sidemissions and explored the city.

wrecks
    said:
    "Yes. And now that I and many, many others are somewhat addicted to them... Start making it a mandatory feature for Games for Windows! If F.E.A.R. 2 had them on the PC, I would be purchasing it instead of renting for the 360... wise up M$!"
    Actually its funny. I'm a total completion *****. Since I don't really want to spend that much time on FEAR2 (just want to beat it once, not really interested in MP) I'm actually opting the PC version just so I don't have to think about achievements.
    Avatar image for theuncannygiraffe
    theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achievements are a nice wee extra, but I'd never kill myself to get them. I'm a bit of a completionist in terms of sub quests and story anyway, so I do tend to get a lot, but I'm not gonna be like 'OMG I need to kill 200000000 zombies to get 15 points', or something. If I get them, I get them. If not, meh. I do like them.

Occasionally, there are achievements which are innovative and fun to go after tho, and those I would tend to seek out. Fable 2 has some great ones, for example. I hate lazy achievements tho. Like Oblivion for the 360 was a big disappointment for such a huge game with such massive potential. Easy to get 1000 in, tho.....

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JoelTGM

of course, it's a challenge.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By guiseppe

I like them and I tend to go out of my way to get them. I only do that with games I like though, and games that I can see myself getting the full 1000/1000 from. I have 19700-something points.

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TEAMHOLT

I like them. Sometimes it's nice to have an excuse to play a game all over again, even if it's something as meaningless as getting achievements. I probably would have been done with Dead Rising long before I stopped playing it if it weren't for gamerpoints, and plan on doing a couple more runthroughs of Prince of Persia for the points as well. Comparing achievements and your score with friends is fun, too.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Big fan of them, but I'm not a big fan of collecting like Assassins Creed. If I wanted to go around Collecting shit I'll play Banjo Kazooie. It's pretty sad how some people either glitch or go out and rent Disney games to boost their achivements, even though I'm sitting at 28000 right meow.

JazzMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JazzMaverick

I like getting Achievements,but i would'nt play a game i didn't enjoy just for the points.

Thecookiejar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Thecookiejar

Depends on the game and how fun or intersting it would be. For example ive got the little rocket man achievment in half-life2 episode 2 because i liked the idea but i probably wouldnt do a complete the game on the hardest difficulty setting (apart from dead space and cod games)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.