Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Gamerscore Milestones

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

I was going through old files on my computer and came across some pictures I had taken when I reached a certain number of Gamerscore. This first one was taken when I reached 20,000 Gamerscore on December 21st, 2008. I had played various Xbox Live Arcade titles in an attempt to get the number just right - 

I was REALLY in to Left 4 Dead. 
    783 days (or 2 years, 1 month, and 22 days) later on February 11th, 2011, I reached 45,000 Gamerscore. I don't remember why I took a picture of this, but I figure it's because I landed on a nice, even number. 

Rocking my Limbo avatar awards. 

It was 246 days later on October 14th, 2011, that I reached 50,000 Gamerscore. I had originally planned to get it with my brother while playing Gears of War 3, but my score reached 49,990 on October 7th, and it wouldn't have been possible to land on 50,000 if we kept playing. I somehow reached 49,995 (I can't figure out how) and tried playing Comix Zone and Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting to get the last of the points, but needed something faster that wouldn't push me over 50,000. I then looked at Game Room's achievements and remembered that I never changed a theme in my arcade for 5 points. My brother disapproved of my method and thought it was cheap, but achievements are achievements, and I needed  that perfect string of zeros.  

Wait for it... 
    Wait for it... 

Uh-huh... 
    Uh-huh... 

Yes! 
    Yes! 

That's right; I bought a Batman costume and Towelie prop. Worth it! Here's him stealing my Cheesy Poofs. 
    That's right; I bought a Batman costume and Towelie prop. Worth it! Here's him stealing my Cheesy Poofs. 

Our gamerpics match up rather nicely. 

Has anyone else kept track of their Gamerscore? What's your latest milestone? I hope to one day have a thread for 100,000 like Jeff did a couple of years ago. I don't think that will be during this generation, though.
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going through old files on my computer and came across some pictures I had taken when I reached a certain number of Gamerscore. This first one was taken when I reached 20,000 Gamerscore on December 21st, 2008. I had played various Xbox Live Arcade titles in an attempt to get the number just right - 

783 days (or 2 years, 1 month, and 22 days) later on February 11th, 2011, I reached 45,000 Gamerscore. I don't remember why I took a picture of this, but I figure it's because I landed on a nice, even number. 

It was 246 days later on October 14th, 2011, that I reached 50,000 Gamerscore. I had originally planned to get it with my brother while playing Gears of War 3, but my score reached 49,990 on October 7th, and it wouldn't have been possible to land on 50,000 if we kept playing. I somehow reached 49,995 (I can't figure out how) and tried playing Comix Zone and Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting to get the last of the points, but needed something faster that wouldn't push me over 50,000. I then looked at Game Room's achievements and remembered that I never changed a theme in my arcade for 5 points. My brother disapproved of my method and thought it was cheap, but achievements are achievements, and I needed  that perfect string of zeros.  

Wait for it... 
    Wait for it... 

Uh-huh... 
    Uh-huh... 

Yes! 
    Yes! 

Has anyone else kept track of their Gamerscore? What's your latest milestone? I hope to one day have a thread for 100,000 like Jeff did a couple of years ago. I don't think that will be during this generation, though.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By phish09

Because of stupid Rock Band 3 I'm sitting at an odd number. I need a game that will give me a 1 or 6 point cheevo so maybe I can see these kind of round numbers for my GS once in a while...having said that...I really don't give a fuck or pay attention to my gamerscore anymore. I like getting achievements if it is helping me get more fun out of a game, but I certainly am not going to get hung up on it, or start a thread to show off my gamerscore...I have a little more self confidence than that.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

@phish09: If you ever want that 1 point with an easy achievement the game you need is Samurai Shodown Sen... Just saying (I do not recommend doing this/playing this game ever!)

I used to take photo's just like this, but I grew tired of milestones, my score hasn't really moved much since playing SR3. I did very, very briefly have my score at 99999, but then I got another achievement about a minute later.

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lavapotamus

I made a new gamertag a few years after owning a 360 because I didn't want to pay $10 to change my first account's name. Of course now I realize the endless headache I've made for myself regarding game/DLC licenses being on only one of either accounts...but it at least made me stop caring about my gamerscore. I was doing absurd things before the name change. I particularly remember tweaking match settings in Perfect Dark Zero so I could get a "play 1,000 matches of x" achievement. Thank god that's over.

I only pay attention to gamerscores now if I want to get all the achievements for a game I really love and keep coming back to anyway. Otherwise, I can't justify spending the time.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GunstarRed said: 

I used to take photo's just like this, but I grew tired of milestones, my score hasn't really moved much since playing SR3. I did very, very briefly have my score at 99999, but then I got another achievement about a minute later.

Yeah, that's the problem with a higher score. The only times I think I'll care now are for 75,000 and 100,000. I don't see myself getting anything higher that's significant, unless this generation's Gamerscore and achievements carry over to the next Xbox as is. Back in the early days, however, each step toward 10,000 was exciting.
    shootermcclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shootermcclay

Woo hoo! My gamerscore is 1,350. I only use my 360 for exclusives, so I only own 6 games, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Bully, Deadly Premonition, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, and Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#8  Edited By Mento  Moderator

I haven't really been tracking them, no. I play more multiplatform games on the PS3 these days (generally speaking, they have less discs, I have more room on that console to install them and there's usually more copies available to rent) so my achievement point accretion has kind of dropped off. I might consider hitting 100k (if I'm not already there by then) as a fitting send-off by the time the next Microsoft console is ready to hit shelves.

Jack_Frost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Jack_Frost

I never play a game simply to get the achievements and usually will be content with whatever ones I manage to make pop during my playthrough. But if I really, really like a game, I will get all or as many of the achievements I can for it.

My gamerscore was never something I paid much attention to until recently when a buddy of mine started giving me props for being less than 800 points away from 50,000G. In fact, he seems a lot more impressed with my score than I am.

It kinda makes me wonder what it would be if I were a serious achievement whore... :D

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Karl_Boss

I never bothered to exactly round out my number....I'm closing in on 100,000 though.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lavapotamus: Yeah, the only times I have made an effort to get 1000/1000 points are for games like Call of Duty 2 (because achievements were new), Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil 5 and a few more. Any others that I have that many points in are just from playing through them normally, like King Kong or TMNT, but these were games I actually wanted to play. I've never gotten a game just for its achievements, though they certainly make mediocre games more enjoyable.  

@Mento: I still use my launch 60GB PS3, and I have to constantly delete things off of it to make room. :( I do get specific games on it, though, when the PS3 version is superior. L.A. Noire and Final Fantasy XIII, for example.

@Jack_Frost said: 

It kinda makes me wonder what it would be if I were a serious achievement whore... :D

Yeah, same here. It would be well over 100,000, for sure, but I don't put a lot of effort into getting most achievements and like to play as many games as possible across all the platforms. If I only owned a 360, however...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.