Grinding achievements suck, and online ones are the worst

Skydude252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Skydude252

Grinding achievements in general are awful.  I enjoyed Blue Dragon, and I enjoy "completing" games as far as achievements go, but I have not completed, and likely will not complete, that game.  I did all the finnicky event achievements, got all the items, and beat all the enemies, but I'm not going to level all my characters to 99.  Perhaps some day I will do a little bit of that at a time, but it's unlikely when there are so many other better games to play. 

But what's even worse, in my mind, are the online achievements that are pretty much impossible to get unless you play online religiously, and even then, often only when you've done so from the game's launch, since with rare exceptions, a game's multiplayer component is likely to dry up relatively quickly as people leave for the next big thing.  Achievements certainly aren't everything, but I think they should only be allowed when they could be achieved long after the game's release, with at most one other person (except perhaps in those games that allow 4 player splitscreen).
Skydude252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Skydude252

Grinding achievements in general are awful.  I enjoyed Blue Dragon, and I enjoy "completing" games as far as achievements go, but I have not completed, and likely will not complete, that game.  I did all the finnicky event achievements, got all the items, and beat all the enemies, but I'm not going to level all my characters to 99.  Perhaps some day I will do a little bit of that at a time, but it's unlikely when there are so many other better games to play. 

But what's even worse, in my mind, are the online achievements that are pretty much impossible to get unless you play online religiously, and even then, often only when you've done so from the game's launch, since with rare exceptions, a game's multiplayer component is likely to dry up relatively quickly as people leave for the next big thing.  Achievements certainly aren't everything, but I think they should only be allowed when they could be achieved long after the game's release, with at most one other person (except perhaps in those games that allow 4 player splitscreen).
TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By TerraDelu

Dude, I just finished getting my last achievement in Shadow Complex. Getting to level 50 is a BITCH!

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By nail1080

grinding acheevs suck? then don't do it.

nyuckelhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By nyuckelhead

I completely agree that's why for the most part I don't care about achievements anymore, although every once in a while I'll do something stupid for some lame amount of points. Sometimes I just can't help myself lol

Skydude252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Skydude252
@nail1080:
Clearly you didn't read.  My point is that I don't do them...but I wish it was a choice I didn't need to make.  They're pointless.
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ghostiet

My only gripe with achievements are the fact that devs don't put DLC in seperate categories, which they should do IMO. Why someone has to lose an S-Rank or Platinum if he's not interesting in buying the DLC at all?

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShaneDev

Am two online achievements from an S rank in Halo 3 and it annoys me every time i see it. I really dont like online  achievements unless there something BC 2 which you can do easy enough.

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Shinri
@Ghostiet said:
"My only gripe with achievements are the fact that devs don't put DLC in seperate categories, which they should do IMO. Why someone has to lose an S-Rank or Platinum if he's not interesting in buying the DLC at all? "

Because the devs want you to buy the DLC, they don't give a toss about fairness
Skydude252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Skydude252
@Ghostiet:
That's very true.  Of course, the worst are the online DLC ones.  At least with something like Fallout 3's DLC, you can still enjoy it years later.  Map packs?  Sorry, they're worthless once no one is playing the game anymore.
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By DevWil

i don't like it when things are more of a hassle than i think they're worth either!

you and i are unique in the same way!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ProfessorEss

Depends 100% on the game for me.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By zyn

Hell yeah dude!  Grinding and multiplayer achievements are lazy ass ideas from the developer to make you play their game longer.

More co-op and fun achievements, less stupid, boring achievements!

Prymet1me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Prymet1me

If the game does it good I dont have an issue with it, but yes the ones that are absurd get passed over, no point in it really. Crazy as it sounds.. I thought Too Human did achievements pretty good.

GeneralMolotov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GeneralMolotov

The concept is kind of weird. You get awarded for doing something boring, and the whole point of is to show that "Yes, I did indeed spend time killing a gazillion thingamajigs" to everyone. 
If the game is good you don't need any extra motivation to do these things. And if they aren't fun enough to warrant such an investment of time, why should you? 
I like achievements like the ones in Portal, and some of those in L4D1/2. When they make a point of them you know, a small joke or something. 
Other than that...I could really not be bothered with them. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.