Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Most Popular Achievements (10/31 - 11/6)

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

This is it. It's the last weekend before Modern Warfare 2 is released. For some of you, it's a weekend filled with anticipation. For others, it's a weekend of complete indifference as you watch the Internet explode around you as every little bit of the game leaks. Leaks? Oh, right, for some of you, it's a weekend where you're playing Modern Warfare 2, because there are plenty of shops out there that'll break the street date for just about anything. Apparently GameStop stores in the North East part of the US have been given some kind of corporate go-ahead to just start selling the game, probably since plenty of independent game stores in those parts started selling the game last week. Makes me wish there were more stores like that around here. I can't even think of one non-chain game store in my immediate area. 

Look at these guys, acting all
    Look at these guys, acting all "modern" and stuff.
    Regardless of how you feel about Modern Warfare 2 (and it really seems like no one is truly neutral about it, because even the ones who say they're indifferent want to go out of their way to TELL YOU THAT IN ALL CAPS), it's always exciting to see these big tent-pole moments, where huge games get released and people line up to get them. It's interesting to see publishers of other games sort of move their games out of a bigger game's path. That's why some stuff got pushed to 2010. Love it or hate it, Infinity Ward's latest is going to cast a long shadow over the rest of the year.

Anyway, on to the data. I've gotten out my interpreter hat and rolled up my not-actually-an-analyst sleeves, and by looking at the achievements page for Borderlands, I'm going to say that the people who play that game are playing the hell out of it. Its an interesting case, because it doesn't have any achievements that are especially difficult. You just need to put in the time to get them. And clearly, you guys are putting in the time. There are no more "rare" achievements for Borderlands, and only three of them still show as "uncommon." Two of those uncommon achievements are for hitting levels 40 and 50, so it's really just a matter of putting in the time.

Here's a quick, unsorted list of assorted releases and the number of people playing them as of Saturday morning. I think these numbers probably tell you more about the site's audience than any genuine sales trend, but I'm sure someone out there could cook up a formula that eventually tied these numbers to sales, if they wanted to.

I think I mostly wanted to show those numbers to note the following:

- LEGO Rock Band is outperforming Band Hero so far, but not by much.

- Jurassic: The Hunted was released with as little fanfare as possible and I think our Quick Look of the game is the only coverage anyone's done so far. After watching that video, I wouldn't buy Jurassic, either. Except I already bought it. Damn.

- If 1,500 people are playing the not-as-good-as-PC version of Dragon Age, how many people must be playing the PC version?

- My guess is that DJ Hero and Tekken 6 are moving some units based on their name recognition, but neither game really took off at launch.

OK, let's get into the traditional lists. It's not especially surprising that Borderlands has held onto the top spot. Also, predictably, Modern Warfare 2 has resurfaced as interest in actually playing the game begins to swell. And The Ballad of Gay Tony has reignited Grand Theft Auto IV's popularity quite nicely. The site's significant international readership is probably responsible for Football Manager 2010 making the list. 

And hey, this zombie thing for Borderlands is still coming this year, too.

Top 10 Sets

1. Borderlands
    2. Dragon Age: Origins
    3. Grand Theft Auto IV
    4. Modern Warfare 2
    5. Forza Motorsport 3
    6. Assassin's Creed II
    7. Football Manager 2010
    8. Brutal Legend
    9. DJ Hero
    10. Tekken 6

We've got a new pile of unreleased games in the achievements system this week, including some 2010 releases. So if you want to start planning out your January, be sure to look at the Dark Void achievements

Tesla tells Will that he'll need to jack more spaceships if he wants all the achievements in Dark Void. 
    Tesla tells Will that he'll need to jack more spaceships if he wants all the achievements in Dark Void. 

New Sets

And, finally, the individual achievements list. Borderlands is still holding on tight, but it doesn't control all ten spots like it did last week. People are looking for specific help on how to freefall as much as possible in The Ballad of Gay Tony, and they're also trying to figure out how to score 100,000 points in a single Forza 3 drift lap. That Forza achievement is probably the only one in the game that qualifies as tough. The rest reward you for specific, easy behavior or for just putting in the hours and gaining all your levels. 

Donkey Kong?
    Donkey Kong?

Top 10 Individual

1. Borderlands - You're on a boat!
    2. Borderlands - My Brother Is An Italian Plumber
    3. Borderlands - 12 Days of Pandora
    4. Borderlands - Fully Loaded
    5. Borderlands - Made in New Haven
    6. Grand Theft Auto IV - TBoGT: Adrenaline Junkie
    7. Borderlands - Speedy McSpeederton
    8. Borderlands - Ding! Champion
    9. Forza Motorsport 3 - Drift Lap
    10. Borderlands - Can't We Get BEYOND Thunderdome?

OK, I'm going to go brace myself for the release of Modern Warfare 2. Actually, thanks to some retailers' inability to obey street dates and the notion of "overnight shipping," I'm just going to go play Modern Warfare 2. Review Tuesday.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

This is it. It's the last weekend before Modern Warfare 2 is released. For some of you, it's a weekend filled with anticipation. For others, it's a weekend of complete indifference as you watch the Internet explode around you as every little bit of the game leaks. Leaks? Oh, right, for some of you, it's a weekend where you're playing Modern Warfare 2, because there are plenty of shops out there that'll break the street date for just about anything. Apparently GameStop stores in the North East part of the US have been given some kind of corporate go-ahead to just start selling the game, probably since plenty of independent game stores in those parts started selling the game last week. Makes me wish there were more stores like that around here. I can't even think of one non-chain game store in my immediate area. 

Look at these guys, acting all
    Look at these guys, acting all "modern" and stuff.
    Regardless of how you feel about Modern Warfare 2 (and it really seems like no one is truly neutral about it, because even the ones who say they're indifferent want to go out of their way to TELL YOU THAT IN ALL CAPS), it's always exciting to see these big tent-pole moments, where huge games get released and people line up to get them. It's interesting to see publishers of other games sort of move their games out of a bigger game's path. That's why some stuff got pushed to 2010. Love it or hate it, Infinity Ward's latest is going to cast a long shadow over the rest of the year.

Anyway, on to the data. I've gotten out my interpreter hat and rolled up my not-actually-an-analyst sleeves, and by looking at the achievements page for Borderlands, I'm going to say that the people who play that game are playing the hell out of it. Its an interesting case, because it doesn't have any achievements that are especially difficult. You just need to put in the time to get them. And clearly, you guys are putting in the time. There are no more "rare" achievements for Borderlands, and only three of them still show as "uncommon." Two of those uncommon achievements are for hitting levels 40 and 50, so it's really just a matter of putting in the time.

Here's a quick, unsorted list of assorted releases and the number of people playing them as of Saturday morning. I think these numbers probably tell you more about the site's audience than any genuine sales trend, but I'm sure someone out there could cook up a formula that eventually tied these numbers to sales, if they wanted to.

I think I mostly wanted to show those numbers to note the following:

- LEGO Rock Band is outperforming Band Hero so far, but not by much.

- Jurassic: The Hunted was released with as little fanfare as possible and I think our Quick Look of the game is the only coverage anyone's done so far. After watching that video, I wouldn't buy Jurassic, either. Except I already bought it. Damn.

- If 1,500 people are playing the not-as-good-as-PC version of Dragon Age, how many people must be playing the PC version?

- My guess is that DJ Hero and Tekken 6 are moving some units based on their name recognition, but neither game really took off at launch.

OK, let's get into the traditional lists. It's not especially surprising that Borderlands has held onto the top spot. Also, predictably, Modern Warfare 2 has resurfaced as interest in actually playing the game begins to swell. And The Ballad of Gay Tony has reignited Grand Theft Auto IV's popularity quite nicely. The site's significant international readership is probably responsible for Football Manager 2010 making the list. 

Top 10 Sets

1. Borderlands
    2. Dragon Age: Origins
    3. Grand Theft Auto IV
    4. Modern Warfare 2
    5. Forza Motorsport 3
    6. Assassin's Creed II
    7. Football Manager 2010
    8. Brutal Legend
    9. DJ Hero
    10. Tekken 6

We've got a new pile of unreleased games in the achievements system this week, including some 2010 releases. So if you want to start planning out your January, be sure to look at the Dark Void achievements

New Sets

And, finally, the individual achievements list. Borderlands is still holding on tight, but it doesn't control all ten spots like it did last week. People are looking for specific help on how to freefall as much as possible in The Ballad of Gay Tony, and they're also trying to figure out how to score 100,000 points in a single Forza 3 drift lap. That Forza achievement is probably the only one in the game that qualifies as tough. The rest reward you for specific, easy behavior or for just putting in the hours and gaining all your levels. 

Donkey Kong?
    Donkey Kong?

Top 10 Individual

1. Borderlands - You're on a boat!
    2. Borderlands - My Brother Is An Italian Plumber
    3. Borderlands - 12 Days of Pandora
    4. Borderlands - Fully Loaded
    5. Borderlands - Made in New Haven
    6. Grand Theft Auto IV - TBoGT: Adrenaline Junkie
    7. Borderlands - Speedy McSpeederton
    8. Borderlands - Ding! Champion
    9. Forza Motorsport 3 - Drift Lap
    10. Borderlands - Can't We Get BEYOND Thunderdome?

OK, I'm going to go brace myself for the release of Modern Warfare 2. Actually, thanks to some retailers' inability to obey street dates and the notion of "overnight shipping," I'm just going to go play Modern Warfare 2. Review Tuesday.
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#2  Edited By Lazyaza

Sigh, wish the pc version of DA had windows live achievements as apposed to stand alone ones that are ultimately pointless >_>.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By bed

MODERN WARFARE WILL CRUSH EVERYONE

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MetalGearSunny

This is the time where I watch everyone freak out about Modern Warfare 2 while I sit back and ask myself "What the fuck is going on!?"

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By FunExplosions

To be honest, I couldn't be more neutral about MW2. I played the World at War demo for PS3 and liked how they handled the aiming, but I would just rather play Dragon Age for the next two weeks than another shooter.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Death_Burnout

DK's Challenge!

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By ez123

I learned how to get the Drift Lap achievement by going to Giantbombdotcom.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

BORDERLANDS!!!  WOOT!!!  Still diggin' on that game, and now that station 54 is back up and running, I'm going to be playing it on there again rather than the PC.  The PC version is fully competent, but yeah...that UI stuff drives me insane. 

However, I'm about 600 points from hitting 40K, so I need to do that.  Unfortunately, I can't think of any games that I REALLY want to play right now that aren't Borderlands.  I'm sure I'll probably bust a few on MW2.  I don't know. 

Thank you for the list, sir.  Have a good one.

JJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By JJ

I'm one of these people playing the game on 360. Mainly because I don't think my PC is strong enough for it. I kind of thought more would be playing it

I also wish shops around here would break the street date. My copy of MW2 comes with the CoD Xbox 360 though. I don't think they'll sell it to me.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By MeatSim

I am liking the Borderlands achievements you just get most of them by naturally progressing through the game and it's less of stuff that you would never think to do or want to do but you found out about from looking at the list of achievements.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By JoelTGM

Borderlands is doing well, but MW2 is going to make these charts boring to look at for the next month and then some. 

piderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By piderman

I am truly indifferent about MW2. Without caps. DRAGON AGE ON THE OTHER HAND... :)

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By LaszloKovacs

I'm so psyched for MW2. I know I probably shouldn't be, but I totally am.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Xandurson

I really can't wait for MW2! I plan on going to the midnight release tomorrow night to pick up my Hardened edition.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wow, only four people playing it? That's enough people to get together, pop in Goldeneye, and ignore Jurassic: The Hunted :P.

XaiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By XaiaX

I still think "Mechwarrior 2" every time I see MW2. 

Damn kids.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I am indifferent about Modern Warfare 2, except I'm not. I'm really looking forward to another powerful war story campaign, but I bought a couple of games in September and October that come first. Sorry COD6/MW2, you'll just have to wait.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Alphazero

I dreamed about accidentally selling my epic orange gun in Borderlands, and I was seriously distraught.

Thank God it was only a dream. ONLY A DREAM.

Corvall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Corvall

I'm pretty indifferent on MW2.  I'm sure it would be fun, but I only have time to play so many games this season, and I'd rather play Borderlands and Left 4 Dead.  Hopefully I'll get around to MW2 at some point, but I'm in no rush.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ht101

I am pretty excited about MW2.  I can't wait to play it come Tuesday.  Too bad some of the retailers around where I am haven't broken the street date, at least as far as I know.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Pssh MW2. Too corporate mainstream for my taste. I prefer the indie shooters, like the  neo-surrealist Czechoslovakian-made UberShoot IV.    I also like to wear black turtlenecks and smoke designer cigarrettes while I play in a detached, ironic manner.   

Edit: I would also like to figure out how to fix my italics button.

thewoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By thewoj
    @Lazyaza: Doesn't Dragon Age require Steam as its form of DRM? You would think that would have the Steam Achievements built in.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NoXious
    @TheWoj:
    No, it uses it's own format - social.bioware.com. On there you have your own player profile where your character + progression (including achievements) are stored and depending on your particular settings get saved there every so often.
    aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By aaox

The anticipation. It is a formidable foe.

Davin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Davin

I have my games of the year, Borderlands and Dragon Age. MW2 doesn't even exist in my gaming world, though I know I'm in the minority by far.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#27  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I am super pumped for MW2, but I also want to finish Dragon Age. Thus I have entered a quandary where two games will compete for my free time.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By moelarrycurly
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " This is the time where I watch everyone freak out about Modern Warfare 2 while I sit back and ask myself "What the fuck is going on!?" "
    You're not alone.  The first game (or the fourth?  Which would make this... sixth?  God damn numbering) was good, but not the "ZOMG MELT MY FACE" that everyone seems to think it is.  In 2007, Super Mario Galaxy was better, imo.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By MildMolasses
    @LaszloKovacs:
    Why shouldn't you be? The first one was great. A tight (albeit short) campaign filled with a ton of "Holy Shit!" moments, and mulitplayer which people seem to really like (I dont play multiplayer, so I couldn't tell you). Why would you feel ashamed of wanting more of it?
    ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By ObsideonDarman

Awesome as always Jeff, enjoy playing Modern Warfare 2 and I look forward to your Review on Tuesday, bring on Tuesday Night!!!

Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Blaster

what happened with PSN trophies tracking?

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By coolarman

Thank you for no school on Wednesday (yeah i know its weird to have the middle of the week off so forget it).I will do nothing but play Modern Warfare.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well, this week flew by didn't it? Modern Warfare 2 will definitely top the charts next week.

_k1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#35  Edited By _k1_

Yup, PC version of DA:O here.  The quick looks put it over the top for me. 

Also nice to see a Sega game (FM 2010) in the list.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dbz1995

Well, obviously Borderlands isn't gonna be up top, NEW SUPER MARIO BROS WII IS COMING OUT. DUH!

XaiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By XaiaX
    @Blaster:  "  what happened with PSN trophies tracking?" 

Sony.
    dvdwalker8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#38  Edited By dvdwalker8

Already finished Borderlands once and am close to finishing Dragon Age. Interesting to see The Tale of Despereaux as a new set since that game came out a while ago. I'll probably rent MW 2 at some point. Can't wait for AC 2 but don't really have the money to get it right now.
    digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By digital_sin

This shit just got real.

first2die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By first2die

Finished MW 2 last night, you get an achievement at the end of each level, so yeah it will be on top next week. However it will be interesting to see who gets the achievement for killing chickens. 

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41  Edited By Addfwyn

Actually, I'm pretty neutral on MW2, just not my thing.  More power to folks who are for it. 

I'll probably be finishing my platinum on Borderlands, and then go back to some more Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2 for a while.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By nicolenomicon
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "This is the time where I watch everyone freak out about Modern Warfare 2 while I sit back and ask myself "What the fuck is going on!?" "

The only way I will play MW2 is at someone else's house or stealing someone else's copy, I'm not going to waste money on a game that not only dropped dedicated servers and has only 6 v 6 multiplayer, but also rewards people for death streaks. I'll stick with MW1 like every other pc gamer thanks!
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kohe321

interesting!

Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lepuke

Count me as one of those who bought Dragon Age for my PC instead of purchasing it for my PS3 or 360.
    Some games still feel just right on a PC with a keyboard and mouse.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Adamantium

MW2MW2MW2MW2MW2MW2MW2!

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By Spiral_Stars

Forza 2?

Uncle_Tbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Uncle_Tbag

If 1,500 people are playing the not-as-good-as-PC version of Dragon Age, how many people must be playing the PC version?     

Probablyt less than 1,500.  Higher quality PC version of a given game doesn't usually translate to (deservedly) more sales than the console version - particulary given the 360/PS3 multiplat. 

It's really not that much better anyway; even if one deems it such the console version are still pretty sweet.   

I hope it gets the massive sales it deserves on all platforms. Such a great game and a high-point for Bioware since KOTOR.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I'm a bit surprised that Lego Rock Band has 3x the audience on Giant Bomb that Band Hero does, but as someone who only got the former, I'm happy with my choice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.