Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

PC Pet Peeve

SuperMooseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SuperMooseman

I'm a PC gamer, and I have been for all my life. Although I do own a Wii, and have had previous consoles from past generations, my primary platform is the PC. My only pet peeve is that there is no achievements system for the PC -- sure, you've got Steam, Games for Windows Live, etc, but there is no singular achievements system like there is for the 360, or similarly the trophies on PS3. Does anyone else find this annoying?

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

I'm surprised something like this didn't evolve on the PC first, because I would love a function that would be embedded into PC games that had their own achievements, not for just the game, but obviously similar to the 360 achievements.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Certain games on the PC are implementing achievement-ish rewards.  The best example I can think of is Lord of the Rings Online, which rewards you for non-quest related deeds or activities, much like achievements.  The kicker is that there are actual rewards to go along with the achievement - titles.  It's not much, but it's a step in the right direction.

But I agree  a system to track all such achievements across a plethora of games would be great.  Does Games for Windows do anything like this?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Gunner

My only pet peeve is when games dont include automatic updates... I hate searching the webs to find new patches for a game.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By thordain

I don't get achievements. I've never understood how it is interesting for 360 owners. The only way they become interesting to me is if they offer reward for getting achievements(The TF2 model).

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Thordain said:
    "I don't get achievements. I've never understood how it is interesting for 360 owners. The only way they become interesting to me is if they offer reward for getting achievements(The TF2 model)."
    Achievements are the latest attempt to try to make gaming as it was in the "good ol' days", which was when they were hard. Getting achievements for games is more difficult than just beating them.
    Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Video_Tycoon
    Thordain said:
    "I don't get achievements. I've never understood how it is interesting for 360 owners. The only way they become interesting to me is if they offer reward for getting achievements(The TF2 model)."
    It's a way of saying "my score is higher!"
    I'm a human.  I like to brag.  Yay.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hamz
    Thordain said:
    I'm pretty much the same in my view of achievements, unless there is a decent reward for them like Valve and its TF2 class updates i see no point in them. Sure L4D has fun achievements but i don't get anything for gaining them, so i sort of don't care too much for them.

I've always seen the achievements for the 360 as having a negative effect on the enjoyment of the games. It seems so many times i come across blogs or topics about "oh man i just finished getting all the points and achievements for this game, hated it, never playing it again"....
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gunner
    Hamz said:
    "Thordain said:
    I'm pretty much the same in my view of achievements, unless there is a decent reward for them like Valve and its TF2 class updates i see no point in them. Sure L4D has fun achievements but i don't get anything for gaining them, so i sort of don't care too much for them.

I've always seen the achievements for the 360 as having a negative effect on the enjoyment of the games. It seems so many times i come across blogs or topics about "oh man i just finished getting all the points and achievements for this game, hated it, never playing it again"...."
    I feel the same way, the achievements in WoW are a fun little add on, but i dont see the point in trying to get as many points as possible.
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Gameboi

I'm more peeved about the constant upgrades needed to keep head of the tech curve.  It's why I had to give up PC gaming before I barely got started.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gunner
    Gameboi said:
    "I'm more peeved about the constant upgrades needed to keep head of the tech curve.  It's why I had to give up PC gaming before I barely got started."
    Last time i upgraded was over 4 months ago, and i can still run pretty much any game maxed out.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I don't find pc achievements very satisfying.

They just seem to be a "mii too" type thing.  They feel more like the medal collection in games than the achievements (which is a bit different).  The only thing they've contributed in pc games has been the unbalancing of TF2

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

I don't get achievements... I mean I really don't have them and get them. I see them on my Xbox 360 and Steam, but they're more of an amusement for me than anything else. Shouldn't they be built into the game itself?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a512bb9699
    deactivated-5b4a512bb9699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hamz said:
    "Thordain said:

I've always seen the achievements for the 360 as having a negative effect on the enjoyment of the games. It seems so many times i come across blogs or topics about "oh man i just finished getting all the points and achievements for this game, hated it, never playing it again"...."
    Well then stop reading my blogs and you'll never see that kind of thing :P
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hamz
    Joe said:
    "Hamz said:
    "Thordain said:

Well then stop reading my blogs and you'll never see that kind of thing :P"
    Hey man maybe you should start writing blogs about other things then, like Dave....do an autobiography on Dave, oh that would be funny.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a512bb9699
    deactivated-5b4a512bb9699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol We were talking about Daves rant blogs the other day. I should totally do that though although it'd probablly get me banned from most game sites.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Rowr

Gaming has never been all that centralised on PC.

And still truly arent, aside efforts from steam. Who adopted the idea already.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Stevokenevo

Games like Battlefield and ET:Quake Wars and Call of Duty 4 have achievements, but just seen as ranks.  Although they are specific to the actual game they work quite well. 

Would achievements work on the pc? (like xbox) .  The closest thing really is GFWLive and that is only on about 1% of pc games.   

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

but there is no singular achievements system like there is for the 360, or similarly the trophies on PS3.

That's because there are no singular companies that control PC hardware or software. This is a good thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.