Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Activision

Company »

Activision is the largest third-party publisher in the world. It became the first third-party developer for video game consoles, and is responsible for popular franchises such as Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and Tony Hawk.

So I guess if we really wanted to fuck Activision

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Leptok
    http://kotaku.com/5483798/guess-which-three-games-help-keep-activision-afloat?skyline=true&s=i

Stop sucking on the teet of their franchises.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

How can I fuck Activision without groping its massive breasts?

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Kyreo

or we can steal Modern Warfare 3 instead of pay for it.  I personally Hate Activision w/ a passion, but I love Infinity ward so Im game for anything that is anti-activision.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By bed
    @Kyreo said:
    " or we can steal Modern Warfare 3 instead of pay for it.  I personally Hate Activision w/ a passion, but I love Infinity ward so Im game for anything that is anti-activision. "
    this
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

Why do we want to screw Activision over?

Also the fact 98% of Blizzard's revenue comes from World of Warcraft astounds me.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Leptok
    @Hamz:  They are being too ruthless. If your business practice is making your company a gigantic dick, then you can go fuck yourself.

As for blizzard yeah it's kind of frightening actually.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RsistncE

MW2 sucks, World of Warcraft sucks, Guitar Hero sucks and Starcraft 2 doesn't look all too great in the context of 2010. Bobby Kotick can go fuck himself with his chode. Oh, wait...

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hamz
    @Leptok: My mind is blown, I guess we agree to disagree?
    Ututu222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Ututu222

It's not terribly surprising that 98% of Blizzard's revenue comes from WoW, considering it's been over 5 years since they released anything non-WoW.

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By willylo

Only reason I buy Activision products are because of Infinity Ward and Blizzard... but with the recent stuff going on at IW that might change :O. But Blizzard still has a calling to me :S.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By AndrewB
    @Ututu222:  That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say. It's been a long drought for those of us non-MMO players.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Yeah, or I could just play video games, because honestly, I hardly give a shit.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By animateria
    @WillyLo said:
    " Only reason I buy Activision products are because of Infinity Ward and Blizzard... but with the recent stuff going on at IW that might change :O. But Blizzard still has a calling to me :S. "
    Well, it's not Blizzards fault that they are associated with Activision. 

It was Vivendi's intention to 'share the bed' with Activision, and they just decided to slap on Blizzards name because they have a superb reputation within Vivendi.

Of  course, saying Activision Blizzard is just, it's a shit stain on Blizzards clean white shirt.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Hamz said:
    "Also the fact 98% of Blizzard's revenue comes from World of Warcraft astounds me. "
    Once you actually think about it, it makes sense. $15 a month from over 10 million people soon mounts up. And even though their customer support & server maintenance costs are going to be substantial, I'm sure it they still make a decent profit from it too.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fallen189
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " Yeah, or I could just play video games, because honestly, I hardly give a shit. "

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Hamz said:
    " @Leptok: My mind is blown, I guess we agree to disagree? "
    So why are we mad at them? Cause From what I see..the more game compines we " Hate" The fewer and fewer games we have to pick from. 
    Ututu222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ututu222
    @AndrewB: Yes, it has. Hope Starcraft II turns out alright.

@MattyFTM: Plus they have all those micro-transactions. I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost $15 worth of resources for them to transfer a character from one server to the other.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

You want to stop buying Activision games then go for it, I don't anyway. You will not be missed, their titles sell millions.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Jeust

Short lived success.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Pie
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " Yeah, or I could just play video games, because honestly, I hardly give a shit. "
    "
    (I never thought i'd agree with either of you :P)
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By swamplord666

If people  stopped buying GH and COD games i'd be happy. I don't want the Activisio business practice to catch on. 
    Blizzard is alright of course ;)

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By roofy
    @Leptok said:

" @Hamz:  They are being too ruthless. If your business practice is making your company a gigantic dick, then you can go fuck yourself.   As for blizzard yeah it's kind of frightening actually. "

you have some of the worst logic ever.

In business, ruthlessness is a favorable trait.

and its not causing you any harm as a consumer, so its fair practice
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Whatever, dudes. Tony Hawk's Ride is 2009's Game of the Year.

Caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Caddy

No thanks. I would rather keep playing games I am interested in.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mikeeegeee
    @Hamz: What are you getting at? Companies are entitled to be as dickish and boorish as they want if it helps them survive? Survival of the fittest, capitalism stuff? Maybe from that perspective, that's accurate. But a lack of respect and morality, and a general shortsightedness shared by the executives of this nation have helped land us in the predicament we're in. I find it impossible to support Activision if this is true. Fuck, I find it impossible to support Activision anyway. It's been clear what their intentions have been for a long time now.

Anyway, people were guessing that it may be a PR stunt, maybe to do with the release of BF:BC2. Not sure whether or not anything's been confirmed to totally overrule that assertion, but I can't give it too much credit anyway. From our perspective, the timing of it all seems suspicious. From IW's perspective, provided this is real, the timing is just really unfortunate. The LAST thing they're thinking about right now is the release of someone else's game, but they know that's the connection a lot of people are going to make. Bummer, I hope it turns out to be fake. If not, I wish those guys the best of luck because they're really fucking talented. I sort of got the feeling they were being stifled by Activision, so I hope they can flourish elsewhere.
    blaze503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blaze503

I have never got this fascination of gamers with small time game developers, yeah it is cool when like 5 guys make a game and it is alright but the best games come from big time studios and you know what those studios need, publishers. 

Seriously people need to stop being so anti-corporation, i know video games have taught us that they will take over the world but i don't think they ever reference activision doing so, they publish video games they don't make guns or anything. 

Buy the game if it is good, don't if it is shit. Answered

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By ez123

98%, fucken christ, Diablo III is never coming out.

I don't give a fuck about CoD or WoW but I might buy another Guitar Hero game at some point.  The only publisher I would hesitate buying from is EA multiplayer games because they always close servers.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Leptok
    @roofy said:
    " @Leptok said:

" @Hamz:  They are being too ruthless. If your business practice is making your company a gigantic dick, then you can go fuck yourself.   As for blizzard yeah it's kind of frightening actually. "

you have some of the worst logic ever.  In business, ruthlessness is a favorable trait.  and its not causing you any harm as a consumer, so its fair practice "

They are just doing so many things that a reprehensible that I can't stand it. There are ways to be successful without screwing everyone over. I get that they are a business. What I am saying is that if they want to go down the "Fuck it, lets be as evil as possible route," then  we have a right to go "Well screw you too, I'll take my business elsewhere."
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hunkulese

I'm not really sure why this comes as a shock to anyone. Those are perhaps the three biggest videogame franchises right now so of course they're going to constitute a large portion of Activision's revenue. It doesn't mean they don't have other successful game franchises, but you can't really compare anything to World of Warcraft or call of Duty. I'm pretty sure you put those two franchises in any other developers library and they're going to account for most of the profits. 

I was actually kind of surprised that WoW only accounts for 98% of Blizzard's revenues. When you think of how much Blizzard is raking in every year that's a lot of Starcraft or Warcraft anthologies still being sold.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By spacetrucking

I would like to see how EA's profit are broken up. From a surface analysis, the biggest thing they have going is Madden and then a host of games that sell around 1-2 million copies (BioWare and other EA Sports titles being the standouts). Also, they have SWTOR in the making - that could be really big for them. I'm not an analyst but doesn't it look like EA has a more sustainable business model ?

Also, going forward...if you take out Blizzard, what really does Activision have ? The Call of Duty IP might lose it's value after another Treyarch title and they already ran the Hero series into the ground last year. They would be in big trouble if Blizzard decided to part ways with them.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jeust
    @roofy said:

" @Leptok said:

you have some of the worst logic ever.  In business, ruthlessness is a favorable trait.  and its not causing you any harm as a consumer, so its fair practice "
    Speak for yourself. Raising the price of games, taking power from the players, and supposedly making Battle.net paid is hardly not harming the consumer. Besides other dickish moves like terminating fan projects like the sequel made by fans of  King's Quest 8 cancelled. 

I don't care about Activision's products, and i feel happy that i don't endorse this kind of behaviour.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#32  Edited By citizenkane
    @RsistncE said:
    " MW2 sucks, World of Warcraft sucks, Guitar Hero sucks and Starcraft 2 doesn't look all too great in the context of 2010. Bobby Kotick can go fuck himself with his chode. Oh, wait... "
    Now tell us how you really feel.
    Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Leptok
    @blaze503:  But if you just blindly buy games and put up with what they want they'll find every way to make it as expensive as possible for the least amount of work on their end as possible. Less features, less control on our end, in the end less fun.
    Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ubiquitous
    @MattyFTM said:
    " @Hamz said:
    "Also the fact 98% of Blizzard's revenue comes from World of Warcraft astounds me. "
    Once you actually think about it, it makes sense. $15 a month from over 10 million people soon mounts up. And even though their customer support & server maintenance costs are going to be substantial, I'm sure it they still make a decent profit from it too. "
    Also, you can't forget the fact that they haven't made anything BUT WoW products at any point in the past 9 years. Theres really nothing else for them to profit from.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By mikemcn

If I stop buying Call of Duty I would most likely die of withdrawl, they got me hooked.... i can't go cold turkey now.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Leptok said:
    " @roofy said:
    " @Leptok said:

They are just doing so many things that a reprehensible that I can't stand it. There are ways to be successful without screwing everyone over. I get that they are a business. What I am saying is that if they want to go down the "Fuck it, lets be as evil as possible route," then  we have a right to go "Well screw you too, I'll take my business elsewhere." "
    What evidence?  Cuz they killed King's Quest?  Hell, those guys can simply rename
    everything & make their own King's Quest-inspired game.  Small time developers do it all 
    the time.  Activision won't stop anything that has a demand to it, it'll just change its form
    & go on with them.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Red12b
    @Hamz said:
    " Why do we want to screw Activision over?  Also the fact 98% of Blizzard's revenue comes from World of Warcraft astounds me. "
    It's fucking insane innit, To be so dependent on one franchise, I can see how, and I can see why it happened, but for them to let it happen. 

Once something, (Probably not for a long time though) takes everyone's minds off of WOW then they will be totally fucked. 

(98% fucking christ...)
    Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Leptok
    @Lind_L_Taylor:  Just the whole corporate vision for cut waste and flog every IP for as much money as possible. Of course "waste" means things like fun or new features or creative development. 

And the Kings Quest thing, that is why I don't like them. It was just a dick move, there was no good reason to shit on fans like that. What did they hope to accomplish? Yeah they have total iron fisted control of that IP again, but anyone who cared about the IP will just be pissed by this.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Red12b
    @CitizenKane said:

" @RsistncE said:

" MW2 sucks, World of Warcraft sucks, Guitar Hero sucks and Starcraft 2 doesn't look all too great in the context of 2010. Bobby Kotick can go fuck himself with his chode. Oh, wait... "
    Now tell us how you really feel. "
    roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By roofy
    @Leptok said:
    " @roofy said:
    " @Leptok said:

They are just doing so many things that a reprehensible that I can't stand it. There are ways to be successful without screwing everyone over. I get that they are a business. What I am saying is that if they want to go down the "Fuck it, lets be as evil as possible route," then  we have a right to go "Well screw you too, I'll take my business elsewhere." "
    just because you cant stand their practices doesnt mean we have to fuck them over.
    who are they screwing over? not the consumer because if that was the case then the consumer would go elsewhere. They dont have a monopoly, its simple economics.

@Jeust said:
    " @roofy said:

" @Leptok said:

Speak for yourself. Raising the price of games, taking power from the players, and supposedly making Battle.net paid is hardly not harming the consumer. Besides other dickish moves like terminating fan projects like the sequel made by fans of  King's Quest 8 cancelled.  I don't care about Activision's products, and i feel happy that i don't endorse this kind of behaviour. "

This is business for them, their not in it to make friends. If the consumer didnt feel that the tradeoff for battle.net and IWnet was worth it, then they wouldnt buy it. They didnt force anyone to buy it, you have free will.

Terminating fan projects is something every company does. You dont see people complaining about Nintendo throwing C&D orders around.
    The fact is that they own Intellectual Property and they need to make sure that they are not harmed in any way, out of their control.

People really seem to lose sight that this is a business now, not just fun and games
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FunExplosions

Just show me a hole, and we'll do business.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cheapoz
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    Bingo, I can't stand IW's smug attitude, and Activision run their business ruthlessly, but it's not going to stop me from saying MW2 was a good game.
    Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Leptok
    @roofy: The consumer will never go anywhere if you all sit around going "Nah it's cool dude." I don't want them to become some hippy nonprofit, but if there is no consumer pushback for the stuff that they do, it will just get worse and worse. I'm just saying I do not like thier business practices, therefore I will not support them.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jeust
    @roofy said:

" @Leptok said:

" @roofy said:

" @Leptok said:

just because you cant stand their practices doesnt mean we have to fuck them over.
    who are they screwing over? not the consumer because if that was the case then the consumer would go elsewhere. They dont have a monopoly, its simple economics.

@Jeust

said:

" @roofy said:

" @Leptok said:

Speak for yourself. Raising the price of games, taking power from the players, and supposedly making Battle.net paid is hardly not harming the consumer. Besides other dickish moves like terminating fan projects like the sequel made by fans of  King's Quest 8 cancelled.  I don't care about Activision's products, and i feel happy that i don't endorse this kind of behaviour. "
    This is business for them, their not in it to make friends. If the consumer didnt feel that the tradeoff for battle.net and IWnet was worth it, then they wouldnt buy it. They didnt force anyone to buy it, you have free will.  Terminating fan projects is something every company does. You dont see people complaining about Nintendo throwing C&D orders around. The fact is that they own Intellectual Property and they need to make sure that they are not harmed in any way, out of their control.   People really seem to lose sight that this is a business now, not just fun and games "
    You are right, but i, as consumer, it is also my right not to endorse this practices. I'm in it for fun and games, as for any other diversion i have, if that is harmed i take myself elsewhere. As i do, any other gamer too. 

This is what Kotick, Activision and any other developer and publisher forget about this industry. We don't care much about their policies, but we care for our experiences with their products, and if they start pushing the consumers too much, they might find them somewhere they don't want to be. Savage capitalism is short sighted, as is Activision's success.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By super_machine

What and miss out on Guitar Hero Ratt?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Red12b said:
    " @Hamz said:
    " Why do we want to screw Activision over?  Also the fact 98% of Blizzard's revenue comes from World of Warcraft astounds me. "
    It's fucking insane innit, To be so dependent on one franchise, I can see how, and I can see why it happened, but for them to let it happen.  Once something, (Probably not for a long time though) takes everyone's minds off of WOW then they will be totally fucked.  (98% fucking christ...) "
    I'm not sure if you've heard but Blizzard has a couple games that might sell a copy or two coming out.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By VWGTI

I'll only stop buying Activision games when they stop being good. What a company does behind the scenes is interesting but it doesn't affect my purchasing decisions.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#48  Edited By Symphony
    @Hamz said:
    " Also the fact 98% of Blizzard's revenue comes from World of Warcraft astounds me. "
    I would practically assume that 98% goes without saying at this point considering anyone who ever had a desire to play their other franchises probably owns 2-3 copies of those games by now.

It's obvious the other 2% comes from their SNES titles like Lost Vikings and Rock n' Roll Racing.  ;P
    Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Leptok
    @VWGTI said:
    " I'll only stop buying Activision games when they stop being good. What a company does behind the scenes is interesting but it doesn't affect my purchasing decisions. "
    But it does, when they demand that games come out before they should, or with reduced features, or with ways to charge you more money for iffy addons etc.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By breadfan

Activision may be doing some not so liked things, but people need to realize that it's a business. They are there to make money, not friends.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.