Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 20, 2008

Age of Conan is a massively multiplayer online role playing game set in the Conan lore.

The Lamentable failure.

BigDo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BigDo6
    The Lamentable failure.
    The Lamentable failure.

No game, in my honest opinion has done so many things right, that will go down in history as such a catastrophic failure as Age of Conan. Now, not everyone has played AoC, those who didn't buy it right away will probably never pick it up. It only sold 15 k copies in its second month on shelves. And that being the case, I would like note the parts of AoC that are truly lamentable in their absence from the genre.

- The graphics have to be mentioned first. For any kind of game, on any system, AoC would still be a stunning game to behold. Unfortunately for Failcom, those graphics were a double edged sword. They set AoC apart from the other cartoony/late Xbox-quality graphics that are commonplace in the genre. But due to this, it erected a Computer-Peen-barricade in front of most newly-bored technically deficient WoW players.

- The character creation in AoC was simply fantabulous. If you spent enough time working with it, you could make almost anything you wanted. I literally spent an hour making one character, deleting and then remaking him.

- AoC's music really can't be overstated in it's quality or epic'ness. The composer though obviously overqualified to be working in the game industry, will probably never be rewarded for his work, since AoC's production is now nothing more than a ghost story for MMO developers. From the perfectly suited pirate music of Tortage, the sweeping middle-eastern inspired music of Stygia, the grand echoing anthems of Aquilonia, to the haunting angelic ballads that coarse through the valleys of Cimmeria. AoC's music bleeds authenticity and surrounds the player in the loving embrace of World of Conan. The music of the different lands in the game are meshed seamlessly with random battle music, that really catches the feeling of an epic battle scene in a movie.

- Though these pleasures would have all been easily passed by if the combat wasn't engaging. But, engaging the player in combat, is exactly what AoC's combat mechanics were designed to do. Every move requires a string of button commands, that make fighting feel like the player is performing a dance of death at the expense of their usually headless opponents. Headless, not because of the horrendous AI like in MGS 4, but because each player (no matter the class) has fatalities that though available from level one, increase in their variety as the player levels.

- The landscapes of AoC were functionally disconnected by, irritatingly frequent and extremely awkward loading screens guised as wagon trips. But, once the loading screen dissipated the zones were just amazing.

A. After leaving the Jerusalem inspired Stygian capital of Khemi, I hopped on a boat to the nearest starting zone.  I stepped off the row-boat lightly banked on the close side of what was unmistakeably designed to be the Nile River. The water looked amazing, I really couldn't resist my urge to go get a glass of cold water. When, I returned to the keyboard I did a quick turnabout to see what this new zone looked like. But, immediately I was left aghast by what seemed a unpossibly huge black pyramid towering in the distance. Forsaking all near by quest givers, I cut a swath through lion packs, caravan robbers, and massive black rhinos, but the closer I felt I was to the pyramid the more it began to dawn on me that the pyramid far bigger than I had first believed. Approximately half the zone away on a map that was 3/4's the size of the Barrens. The gates of the pyramid immediately sent me into flashbacks of the Mummy movies. Two impressive golden statues of Stygian gods guard a shadowy hallway descending into the bowels of the burial chambers built around the entrance of the pyramid.

B. In the Aquilonian starting zone, a gigantic mountain range is topped by a menacing gray castle which is visible from almost anywhere in the zone.

C. A jungle near Stygia is covered in a luscious emerald-green foliage, teaming with flocks of enemies looking more like the bird-predators found in the post-mammal-rising BC age.

- The Animations in AoC were really the best in any game in my opinion. They were fluid, satisfying, and visceral all without being overly floaty over the game terrain.

- The mounts in AoC were beautiful and perfectly animated. They had weight, mass and a very well tuned sense of momentum that almost made it feel more like I was playing Oblivion or Assassin's Creed and less like a MMO.

- AoC's dungeons/instances sit behind intimidating doors at the base of structures that have lorded over your view for large segment of your leveling. This serves as an exciting reminder of the adventures that await you just around the next level.

- The loot you get from these dungeons are surprisingly accurate in their portrayal of real world armor derived from 3 distinct ancient cultures. Roman/Greek legionary gear, Celtic/Germanic tribal fur with horns, and exotic light armors inspired by the Egyptians and the late Muslim forces of the Crusades.

In the end AoC is a sweet nexus, that feels extremely authentic and amazingly grand. A feeling that makes imagining yourself as a fantasy epic almost unavoidable. The above reasons make AoC an adventure that though never ultimately rewarding or well polished, hard not to be intoxicated by.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

An MMO will always need to be behind the curve technically to make the big bucks.

In fact, that goes for a lot of console stuff as well. Look at Wii, or the NES when it came out.
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By weltal

AoC was an awesome game. I played it from launch till the end of my 30 day trial and got my Aquilonian Barbarian to level 76. Man, I had some good times with my guild and great memories, like getting my mound at like 50 (The able level being 30) and then having a patch come in shortly after with the price level of the mount and book going down. Bastards.
    The combat was good, but not great. It was entertaining for the first 20 or so levels but you quickly find the skill combination that's best and taping out directions becomes second nature and loses much of it's feeling of interaction. Even the inclusion of two more directions at level 50 only throws you off for a couple of levels and it's back to the same idea.

I couldn't quite justify continuing to pay to play for the game when I felt I had seen enough, I was top in my guild and I helped found and build the walls and buildings of our city. At the time it was meaningless though. There was no siege battles at Battle Keeps or anything so we only really did it because then we had our city.
    I'd be interested to see how the game is today if they've addressed the numerous complaints. If they've added more than one zone to level up at when your in the 70-80 levels. And did they ever implement a system for griefing? I mean there was one it's it infancy when I quit but for the most part it meant nothing.

The game was fantastic but it was shallow and that killed it more than anything in that first month. I'm sure other players such as myself grew bored of AoC because you didn't have anything to work towards. Perhaps that's changed but I'm kinda past the game now and I doubt I'll make any kind of return.

Bonesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Bonesofwar

I'm fairly convinced that the game was bound for failure. For the simple fact that it was made by Funcom. Not only do they have terrible terrible customer service, but they always make buggy/shallow/unbalanced content.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red

I think that the game really failed for three main reasons:

It was rated M for tons of reasons, stopping the 10-14 crowd from getting it which is a considerable portion of the MMO community.
    There was nothing to do after you got to the level cap.
    The specs were way too high.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By SpecTackle

I played a Barbarian 3 levels from the cap at launch, and I haven't touched it since. There is simply NOTHING to do after you reach a certain point (I'd say mid-30's) that you haven't done over, and over, and over again. They needed to get the guild v guild stuff up and going before the game launched because that's about the biggest unique aspect the game had going for it. I loved the combat system, I loved the fact that it was M-rated because it KEPT the 10-14 crowd out. They just failed to deliver long-time reasons to be interested.

BigDo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BigDo6
    Bonesofwar said:
    "I'm fairly convinced that the game was bound for failure. For the simple fact that it was made by Funcom. Not only do they have terrible terrible customer service, but they always make buggy/shallow/unbalanced content."
    How many more years of work the game needed to come out appropriately finished. I mean Warhammer came out pretty polished and people still left in droves for Litch King. Sometimes I wonder if we will ever find a MMO with anywhere near the mass appeal or long term success of WoW. So far Lotro seems to have been the most successful in the long term.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Milkman

Age of Conan's flaw was end game. When people reach the max level, they want things to entice them to keep playing. Look at World at Warcraft. There is new end game raids being added all the time so as soon as someone finishes the highest level instance in the game, a new one is right there for them to get started on. That's why World of Warcraft has 11 million subscribers and why Age of Conan has less than 1 million. Well, okay maybe, there's a few other reasons along with that.

BigDo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BigDo6

Funcom said that they're still making the Xbox 360 version. I wonder of that will give it a little kick start.

------------------------------------------------------
    "You know a game is bad when people stop what they're doing just to watch it suck." - Brett Elston of Games Radar

BigDo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BigDo6

Huge Server merge incoming! Click herefor Giant bomb's take.
    Funcom FAQ about the merger here.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Vinchenzo

I hated AoC. Well, I enjoyed it for a week but just got tired of it.

• Classes and fighting were not enticing, nor good.
    • PvP sucked, and like in most MMOs, fighting other players was annoying because of how much movement you have. People jumping around avoiding all of your attacks.
    • Framerate was trash. Give me WoW's awesome art style over annoyingly high specs. I met the minimum specs and lowered everything, it still ran at 20 frames.
    • Armor didn't look that cool. I realize armor and weapons are realistic, gritty, to-the-point, and are not always supposed to be extravagant. Maybe I'm just spoiled by other games that make the character look interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.